Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:20:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Created a new address in bitcoin-qt, and it already contains 0,001 BTC ???  (Read 3594 times)
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 1560

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 06:37:27 PM

Even with trillions of addresses, there would still be no collision. 2^256 is a very big number, almost as all the atoms in the visible universe.

It's a big number but not as big as you said. 2^256 is 0.12% of the atoms in the visible universe:

click

Of course a collision is highly unlikely.

It's just as big as I said. I never said it was bigger than every atom in the observable universe. I was saying stars. Which is already a pretty big number, atoms of course is even bigger.

I wasn't replying to you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 06:38:27 PM

Even with trillions of addresses, there would still be no collision. 2^256 is a very big number, almost as all the atoms in the visible universe.

It's a big number but not as big as you said. 2^256 is 0.12% of the atoms in the visible universe:

click

Of course a collision is highly unlikely.

It's just as big as I said. I never said it was bigger than every atom in the observable universe. I was saying stars. Which is already a pretty big number, atoms of course is even bigger.

I wasn't replying to you.

Shocked

Oops. I'll watch who you're chastising next time. Thought it was me lol Cheesy I even quoted the damned conversation and didn't read it. Sorry Sad

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
Mota
Legendary

Activity: 804
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 06:56:44 PM

It is extremely rare. But still, not impossible. If you think this number is impossible try the probability of intelligent life on a planet; that my fellow bitcoiners is a number near infitesimal.
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 07:04:29 PM

It is extremely rare. But still, not impossible. If you think this number is impossible try the probability of intelligent life on a planet; that my fellow bitcoiners is a number near infitesimal.

You, or we, have no idea of the probability of intelligent life appearing on a planet. All we can empirically quickly estimate is... about 1/10, looking at the solar system Tongue

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 07:17:22 PM

You, or we, have no idea of the probability of intelligent life appearing on a planet. All we can empirically quickly estimate is... about 1/10, looking at the solar system Tongue

Oh wow, now to aliens.

Here's the problem with calculating intelligent life probabilities. Sure, we can estimate how many stars there are, already been done in this thread. Life has not been found to exist outside of our solar system, period. So, what numbers are you using for your calculations for green or gray guys with huge heads?

.      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
bitfromit

Activity: 329
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 07:22:49 PM

read : http://download.wpsoftware.net/bitcoin-birthday.pdf
wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 07:26:41 PM

Roll Eyes

Going to quote another recent thread. Because this is a stupid argument as well. If you can really generate that many addresses, the collision that you'll find, will be with one of your own addresses (which would be empty) And the reward of finding a block is so much higher than the probability of finding a collision and the difference between the two happening is so small that you guys really don't understand how many zeros are on these numbers and what that means.

So, I was thinking about the address generation scheme that is used for Bitcoin. Please note I did not do any math here yet to see if it is likely to happen, it's just a concept.

From what I understand, the keys are 256 bits (10^77) and there are what? 1 billion keys?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_paradox
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universally_Unique_Identifier#Random_UUID_probability_of_duplicates

1-e^(-(n^2)/2x)

EDIT:

1-e^(-(1000000000^2)/(2^256)) =
1-e^(-(10^18)/(10^77)) =
1-e^(-1/(10^59)) =
10^(-60)

Current Block Probability: ~ 10^(-16)

So, getting the block is 10^45 times more likely than a single collision. An attacker would have to hope for colliding with wallets containing trillions of times more coins than will ever have been created. But if an attacker can change the value of 'n' to 10^39 (duodecillion attempts) then he'll likely be quite profitable... but then again he'll only be colliding with his own keys.

and for good measure:

This has been discussed so many times already...

There are currently 329,993 addresses in the Bitcoin network. Say that this number of addresses are created every day for the next 140 years. That's 16,862,642,300 addresses.

The chance that at least two of those addresses collided is about 9.7x10-29, using the formula here. Calculation.

If every person on Earth makes ten addresses per second for 20 years (2x1018 total addresses), then the probability that two of these addresses collide is about 1.57x10-12.

UUIDs have 2128 possible identifiers. They are also designed to be collision-proof. Wikipedia says:

To put these numbers into perspective, one's annual risk of being hit by a meteorite is estimated to be one chance in 17 billion, that means the probability is about 0.00000000006 (6 × 10−11), equivalent to the odds of creating a few tens of trillions of UUIDs in a year and having one duplicate. In other words, only after generating 1 billion UUIDs every second for the next 100 years, the probability of creating just one duplicate would be about 50%. The probability of one duplicate would be about 50% if every person on earth owns 600 million UUIDs.

Compare this to Bitcoin's 2160 possible addresses. Bitcoin has:
1461501637330902918203684832716283019655932542976 addresses
UUIDs have:
340282366920938463463374607431768211456 identifiers

And...

Bitcoin already supports OP_HASH256 in script, so it would be trivial to increase the number of addresses if it ever became a problem.

Mota
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 10:21:26 AM

Oh wow, now to aliens.

Here's the problem with calculating intelligent life probabilities. Sure, we can estimate how many stars there are, already been done in this thread. Life has not been found to exist outside of our solar system, period. So, what numbers are you using for your calculations for green or gray guys with huge heads?

It's pretty easy, you just have to take the data you have. Number of planets/number of planets with the right atmosphere, distance to the sun, water etc.... I think NASA had some calculations to that alone. Then you have to factor in the probability of the right aminoacids mixing together in a friendly environment so that evolution can take it's course and the chances that no catastrophic event wipes out all life on it through a few billion years. Most of those propabilities exist somewhere on the net, I am just too lazy to search them out now Cheesy
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 12:46:54 PM

Oh wow, now to aliens.

It's pretty easy, you just have to take the data you have. Number of planets/number of planets with the right atmosphere, distance to the sun, water etc.... I think NASA had some calculations to that alone. Then you have to factor in the probability of the right aminoacids mixing together in a friendly environment so that evolution can take it's course and the chances that no catastrophic event wipes out all life on it through a few billion years. Most of those propabilities exist somewhere on the net, I am just too lazy to search them out now Cheesy

You assume that life can only be based on carbon/water/aminoacids. Well, you assume that intelligent life is necessarily something like us, or like what we know, or at the very least like what we can imagine. Same bias also led us to believe in geocentrism and heliocentrism.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
Mota
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 02:50:38 PM

Oh wow, now to aliens.

You assume that life can only be based on carbon/water/aminoacids. Well, you assume that intelligent life is necessarily something like us, or like what we know, or at the very least like what we can imagine. Same bias also led us to believe in geocentrism and heliocentrism.

my, you assume very much about me. and, I might add, of course I assume that life is based on carbon. on what else? there are only so much elements you can find and until now there are only idle speculations about other forms of life. and what the fuck does that have to do with anything? Even if I would assume there is another form of life, if they find us you have your possibility of finding a fucking double wallet...
salbet

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 07:26:14 AM

I also received 0.001 BTC from this unknown bitcoin address 1DSu8QqECJFFx9vmTp1MiT3PqHND6LLyTx.
What could the sender's purpose be?
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: