Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:24:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Making Bitcoins easier to buy - brainstorming  (Read 4486 times)
BitcoinDealer (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 02:40:31 AM
Last edit: July 02, 2011, 06:46:38 PM by BitcoinDealer

Someone needs to make a Bitcoin buy site where 'you' (as in, normal people) can buy Bitcoins instantly using credit cards or bank accounts or paypal etc.

No hassle with exchanges and it'd be instant.

Otherwise Bitcoin will fail. No way for business to get any kind of real bitcoin-userbase if users cant get ahold of Bitcoin in a proper way.

Discuss.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 02:46:30 AM

Agreed... but the problem is in mitigating the chargeback risk. Solve that, and a million such services will spring to action.
dood001

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 02:50:10 AM

Agreed... but the problem is in mitigating the chargeback risk. Solve that, and a million such services will spring to action.

Direct deposit to bank account? Transfer to account?
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 02:51:16 AM

If I were to buy a block of gold, I'd have to pay more than market value to get it from a merchant.

If I were to sell a block of gold, I'd have to sell to a merchant for less than market value.

That said, I own a restaurant and you if you want buy some bitcoins, you'd have to cover the credit card charges, 35 cent + 3%, and I'd have to make some sort of profit because I have to pay 10.5% tax since the government has access to my cc income statements.

Interested?

Be humble!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 02:56:50 AM

A Bitcoin buy site where you can buy Bitcoins instantly using credit cards or bank accounts or paypal etc

Since digital currency purchases are against PayPal's terms of service, no site will be able to offer that.  The closest might be how on VirWoX you can buy Second Life Lindens (SLL) with credit card and paypal, then trade those SLLs for BTCs.  It isn't cheap, but it is doable.

As far as bank accounts, in the U.S. there is Dwolla for that.  Then from Dwolla you have your choice of exchanges where you can convert Dwolla to Bitcoins (e.g., ExchangeBitcoins.com, Mt. Gox, TradeHill, and more.)

in some other countries, bank transfers straight to the exchange are possible.  
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Buying_bitcoins

There are new exchanges and payment methods being added at an increasing rate.  And yes, there is even more to be done.  

But neither credit card to bitcoin nor PayPal to bitcoin are likely to happen.  Unless it is P2P, with your friend, a family member or a neighbor.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 02:40:14 PM

A Bitcoin buy site where you can buy Bitcoins instantly using credit cards or bank accounts or paypal etc.

So when is your site going online?

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
killer2021

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 02:42:19 PM

A Bitcoin buy site where you can buy Bitcoins instantly using credit cards or bank accounts or paypal etc.

So when is your site going online?

Yea I want to use my paypal to buy your btc. Promise I won't charge back Cheesy

Anyways though, I was considering opening a site where you could buy and sell btc anonymously and instantly. Basically the way the site would work is when you wanted to sell btc you would send the btc to my bitcoin account and I would list it on the site. You would set a price like 17$ or whatever and a time limit. If no one buys the btc in that time limit then I send the btc back. If you want to buy btc then you browse the listings of btc and buy whatever you want and pay instantly. You send the money to my account and I then send the money to the seller. No accounts, no registration, no logs.

I decided against the idea due to potential chargeback fraud. You would need to be either moving a large volume or charging high fees to justify the risk of chargebacks. At the end of the day- too risky.

Anonymous Cash-By-Mail Exchange: https://www.bitcoin2cash.com
1H6mqgB6UcqKt2SrCmhjxUp9np1Xrbkdj7
bcearl

Activity: 168
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 02:52:46 PM

There were such sites in the beginning, paypal and the banks block it now. They don't like to get useless.

Misspelling protects against dictionary attacks NOT
relative

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 02:56:14 PM

paypal isnt the only CC processor around. the chargeback argument isn't really one either.
all businesses have to deal with that.

a serious business, a credit card processor, and a debt collection agency and you're good to go.
of course, why would a serious business get involved with bitcoin at this point...
elggawf

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 03:11:13 PM

a serious business, a credit card processor, and a debt collection agency and you're good to go.
of course, why would a serious business get involved with bitcoin at this point...

What're you going to give to your debt collector when an order for 10BTC with a stolen credit card comes in?

High fees doesn't really fix anything, as it alienates legitimate customers and leaves you with higher volume of fraudulent orders.

The only way I can really think to do it is to have hold times on the first order on a new card - but if people wanted long waits for their Bitcoins they'd probably just go the bank account->exchange route.

^_^
relative

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 03:29:15 PM

what do other businesses do, when someone uses a stolen credit card?

if you want to be reasonably safe, you could send an activation code by regular mail on first order to reduce fraud.
that's 2 days wait for your first order, and instantly after.
BitcoinDealer (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 03:35:50 PM

But if banks and credit cards vendors all block Bitcoin by allowing chargebacks to always win, then Bitcoin has no chance at all to become widely used.

I dislike this because I want to allow customers to use Bitcoins for my current business, but I do not want to yet because my customers can't get them in a proper way anyway.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 06:43:25 PM

I've been thinking about a "comes with Bitcoin" model. People who already sell something could either toss in a trivial amount of coin or have a premium version that comes with a good chuck.

Examples:
An etsy store that sells a stuffed Bitcoin Bug and comes with a bit dime.
A cam girl who sends you 1BTC as the climax of the show.

Titles like the one on this thread hurt discussion. Some people don't open every thread and need to know what will be inside, that's what a title it for. You can still change it, try something like "Making coins easier to buy - brainstorming"

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
BitcoinDealer (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 06:47:42 PM

Alright I'll do that, let's see if it works out.

TheBitMan

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 06:47:54 PM

I think you should be able to buy with pre-paid Visa and Mastercards..stuff you would buy in like a supermarket.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3410

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 06:53:14 PM

I've been thinking about a "comes with Bitcoin" model. People who already sell something could either toss in a trivial amount of coin or have a premium version that comes with a good chuck.

How about giving discounts not by actually reducing the price, but by a cash-back in bitcoins?

You buy something from me for 100$, go to my website, register it, and i'll give you 10$ worth of bitcoins.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
BitQuestr (BitCoinWorldMarket)

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 06:53:36 PM

They bend over and take it in the.......

This is the major problem with online CC use. The fraud becomes a business expense. I don't know a single online business that does not lose a significant portion of their profit to fraudulent CC use and chargebacks.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 07:46:57 PM
Last edit: July 02, 2011, 09:22:47 PM by markm

I came up with the idea of using an intermediary currency to interface with chargeback-prone currencies.

Maybe call it PalCoin or something like that.

We keep track of how much of what has been spent on it has been charged back, and use that to set exchange rates for it.

In six months or so any PayPal spent on it will hopefully be beyond the point where it could be charged back, but if only PayPal is ever spent on it (in other words if PayPal is all it has in its reserves to "back" it aka to "buy itself back" with) it would be potentially totally worthless for the first six months following its first purchase of PayPal money (aka PayPal money's first purchase of it).

So okay maybe it won't actually get to have PayPal as one of the currencies in its reserves, but that would be PayPal's fault not its own.

It would maybe be like back in the era when Bitcoin was dirt cheap. PalCoin would be almost worthless due to being backed by pathetic stuff like PayPal or Credit Card money. If it is so nearly worthless you ought to be able to pick it up cheap, right?

So maybe buy 10,000 PalCoin for one Bitcoin, then sell it to credit card users "hey guy why mess with Bitcoin, that will take days and it will cost you several dollars per coin! Buy PalCoin though and I can give it to you right here right now instantly, 100 PalCoins for a buck!"

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
just_someguy

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 07:54:40 PM

Seems like the ripple project may help with this.

rippleplay even tracks the dominant BTC exchange rate:

https://ripplepay.com/
tonygal

Activity: 560
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 07:56:03 PM

They bend over and take it in the.......

This is the major problem with online CC use. The fraud becomes a business expense. I don't know a single online business that does not lose a significant portion of their profit to fraudulent CC use and chargebacks.

When a business gets a chargeback, they basically have to eat the loss.  They lose the entire amount of the sale.

The only way to have any fighting chance in the dispute is to present a signature from the purchase.  With online transactions that is not possible, so no matter what CVV code or IP address you colllect, you lose.  You lose every time.

The only way to trade one currency for another currency is through a currency exchange kiosk.  Or through a forex account.  Bitcoin will work the same way.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: