Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:33:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you hack Ethereum?  (Read 285 times)
elissa (OP)

Activity: 233
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 02:50:50 PM

Let's suppose I have a private key and I am making an algorithm that is permanently changing one character from the the private key and introducing it in a wallet. I suppose that there is a chance to get to a private key of a person who is storing ETH there. What is the probability of that?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 02:55:52 PM

Let's suppose I have a private key and I am making an algorithm that is permanently changing one character from the the private key and introducing it in a wallet. I suppose that there is a chance to get to a private key of a person who is storing ETH there. What is the probability of that?

I think you are just talking about regular bruteforcing, and no, it doesn't really work. The amount of time needed would be beyond your lifetime.

This is the same as trying to hack any other coin, but what can you do in ETH is attack smart contracts such as the DAO. All these smart contracts that hold money are disasters waiting to happen, it just takes a really smart attacker to take the profits. This is why BTC is safer than ETH, it is simplier and these things can't ever happen.
illusioNiZt

Activity: 756
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2017, 02:57:11 PM

Well what are the chances you will get the perfect order of letters string every single character correct? I doubt that's possible or someone would have done it already.

m.vina

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 03:03:25 PM

People have done the math for this, you can google search the estimated calculations on how long a regular CPU would take to find a private key. I believe it's somewhere around 1,923,2381,281,2314,877,54,2131, years.

M O Z O   //     $31M RAISED!     PRE-LISTED on Coinrail     $450k Bounty Tradable on 8/8/18
●            ●                       VERSACE & 38,000 Stores are accepting MOZO TOKENS                       ●            ●
●            ●            WHITEPAPER        MEDIUM        TELEGRAM        ANN THREAD            ●            ●
LORD money

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 03:08:55 PM

you can't. simple! you need too time to make a bruteforce attack!
zenhu

Activity: 645
Merit: 266

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 03:25:32 PM

like a milion years just to find one private key with every super computer on earth. why would you do that though, i mean if that easy to bruteforce or hack why people want to use it

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
     ▀▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▄
  ▄  ▄▀▀           ▀▀  ▀▄
 ▄▀ █      ▐█ █▌      █ ▀▄
▄█ █     ▄███████▄     █ █▄
█ ▄▀    ██▀▐█ █▌▀██     █ █
█ █     ██ ▐█ █▌ ██     █ █
█ ▀▄    ██▄▐█ █▌███    ▄▀ █
▀█ █     ▀████████▄    █ █▀
 ▀▄ ▀      ▐█ █▌ ▀█▌  █ ▄▀
  ▀▄  ▀▄           ▄▄▀  ▀
    ▀▄▄ ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀ ▄▄
       ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
      █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
▄▄▄▀▀▀█   ▄▄▄▄▄▄   █
█     █ ▄▀      ▀▄ █
 █  ▄██ █        █ █
 █  █ █ █        ▀ █
  █ █ █ █ ▄█▄█▄  ▀ █
  █  ██ █  █▄▄█▄ █ █
   █ ██ ▄ ▄█▄▄▄█ █ █
   █  █ ▄  ▀ ▀   █ █
    █ █ █        █ █
    █ █ ▀▄      ▄▀ █
     ██   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   █
      █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
PLATINUM STABLECOINS
USDQ KRWQ CNYQ JPYQ

───────────────────────
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█     ████     █
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
██████
██
██

██
██
██████
██████
██
██

██
██
██████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   WHITEPAPER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
FACEBOOK         TWITTER         TELEGRAM
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN THREAD   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Dart18

Activity: 1400
Merit: 259

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 03:28:06 PM

There is a million of number possibilities for a lot of numbers specially with the addresses which are alpha-numeric.
You will just waste your time in doing it. And if you ever get one then you are not sure if there is balance in it.
So you will waste more time looking for another and it goes on and on.
Why not just work for it.
Stella27

Activity: 294

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 03:29:44 PM

I guess you have .00000000000000000000001% success thats gonna work. And if you succeed, conscience bro. Why would you do that? For what? Work hard for you to earn those ethereums
Teraboy

Activity: 2282
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 03:32:54 PM

The SHA256 is not randomly generated by the way. it was having a formula. You can try whatever you want but it seems to be a useless efford to do that. You may need to read more about how the SHA famiy works.
If that was working and many people already hacked the priv key from one to each other.
supermine

Activity: 826
Merit: 518

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 03:39:26 PM

The probability of fining someone's private key will takes lot more years than your life time so there is no chance for getting there ethereum or other crypto currency.Even of you found the private key it still asking for passward to access the wallet.
You need to understand something the main reason for invention of crypto currency was to stop the online maoney hacking because we knows that normal fiat accounts can be easily hacked by hackers so satoshi found that something which is not hackable so probability of hacking the wallet is very lean.
sakokinak

Activity: 518
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 07:23:57 PM

The fact itself that you ask here this question gives an answer — no you cannot do it! However do not forget how Etherum Classic appeared – the hardfork was created to return investors their stolen by hackers money. (TheDAO Etherum project was hacked).
Zarbout

Activity: 168

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 07:56:41 PM

You need to be a dinosaur and wait for your algorithm to find a single private key. Even dinosaur life is not enough to do it.

elissa (OP)

Activity: 233

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 11:12:23 AM

The purpose of this post is not to steal Eth from anybody. I have Ethereum stored and I thought about its potential vulnerabilities. That's why I asked.
jakaKak

Activity: 164

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 11:47:53 AM

You cant hack the blockchain itself but you can hack peoples wallets, websites etc. and still their information.

superloy

Activity: 126
Merit: 11

#1 ICO on a Global eCommerce Ecosystem! Worldwide

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2017, 11:54:56 AM

I think nobody can hack any Cryptocurrencies and if when they do, they can't change the entire network at once due to blockchain verification that eliminate file purge or any kind of file or data changes in order cyrptocurrency to remain stable and secure.
Ethereum or Bitcoin or any Altcoins cannot be hacked or penetrated.

qazgroup

Activity: 1022
Merit: 20

RiveMont

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 11:56:43 AM

I think hacking someone else’s ethereal wallet to steal the money is illegal and unethical and no one should support you in this thing. Very bad..

●   RiveMont   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  RVMT  ❱❱❱❱❱❱  
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  DeFi token  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
superloy

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2017, 11:57:50 AM

You cant hack the blockchain itself but you can hack peoples wallets, websites etc. and still their information.

The only thing that can be hack is the wallets and accounts because it is the owners responsibility to secure the assets just like when people are keeping their money in the banks and that's one of the reasons why banks has advantages over cyrptocurrencies.

superloy

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2017, 11:59:47 AM

The purpose of this post is not to steal Eth from anybody. I have Ethereum stored and I thought about its potential vulnerabilities. That's why I asked.

I have an account in coins.ph and my Bitcoin was hacked and made sending transaction without my knowledge so that's the worst thing about our wallets.

Yarik044

Activity: 280
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 12:02:37 PM

Wallet ethereum is probably the most vulnerable of all, not for the first time with his stealing money. My advice, don't store your coins on the wallet you are working on the exchanges, so I lost a few coins.
kiky03

Activity: 305

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 12:03:09 PM

talking about private key ethereum is almost imposible to hack, it's depend on that people keep the private key secure.
and imposible too if you want to hack ethereum or blockchain system i think.  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: