Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:44:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unknown Mathematician Proves Elusive Property of Prime Numbers  (Read 1777 times)
zeroblock (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 03:37:07 AM

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/?p=158751

Just a little more info into prime number territory.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2013, 04:20:58 AM

Great story thanks for sharing.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
vingaard
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 05:25:04 AM

Thanks  Wink
eule

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 07:30:55 AM

I wonder if this GPY sieve can be used for primecoin, i think it should and be much faster too.  Cheesy

r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 07:42:51 AM

I wonder if this GPY sieve can be used for primecoin, i think it should and be much faster too.  Cheesy

GPYCOIN?

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
eule

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 07:46:17 AM

From the wired article:
The Sieve of Eratosthenes works perfectly to identify primes, but it is too cumbersome and inefficient to be used to answer theoretical questions. Over the past century, number theorists have developed a collection of methods that provide useful approximate answers to such questions.

“The Sieve of Eratosthenes does too good a job,” Goldston said. “Modern sieve methods give up on trying to sieve perfectly.”

GPY developed a sieve that filters out lists of numbers that are plausible candidates for having prime pairs in them. To get from there to actual prime pairs, the researchers combined their sieving tool with a function whose effectiveness is based on a parameter called the level of distribution that measures how quickly the prime numbers start to display certain regularities.

The level of distribution is known to be at least ½. This is exactly the right value to prove the GPY result, but it falls just short of proving that there are always pairs of primes with a bounded gap.
Since we don't try to prove that there is an infinite number of primechains, it should work, right?

darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 07:49:13 AM

Wonder how I missed this for a couple months.  Probably because I've been a lazy fuck reading stupid shit.  It isn't quite proving the twin primes conjectur but it's just a couple steps away.  I wish I hadn't been so fucking lazy at math and stopped after calculus.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: