Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:45:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Closed] [Bounty] Primecoin Standalone CPU Miner Current: 3.5BTC  (Read 13917 times)
Lloydimiller4

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

Monero

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 06:10:54 PM

I do not understand all the harsh negativity, I guess I am simply clueless of primecoin however, in my primecoin wallet I have found 5 blocks and the only miner I have used is the scryptminer. I simply figured it was the reason why I am getting primecoins. I have no idea how else I am getting them then.

Geez, I wish there were less assholes in this community

XMR: 43uAvbYL7z9NrKQig2DswM69XaeDug1Rf8v4Un1ndssb2To51Vojz2uZ21jFumWsCcgvqZ9hPuE3fEr xKoGCkHU8CzqHFiS

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vingaard
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 06:15:51 PM

I do not understand all the harsh negativity, I guess I am simply clueless of primecoin however, in my primecoin wallet I have found 5 blocks and the only miner I have used is the scryptminer. I simply figured it was the reason why I am getting primecoins. I have no idea how else I am getting them then.

Perhaps... and only perhaps, you made a primecoin.conf file and set in this file autostart mining configuration with your wallet, without write anything in debug window.

After you start cgminer and thought you were mining with cgminer instead with wallet...

It is a possible explanation...

If not... I don´t know what did you done
anonppcoin

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 06:18:12 PM

Do you realize that nothing that you say makes sense? It would be like going into a spanish class and speaking german the whole time and then wondering why people are giving you a hard time.

Does "setgenerate true -1" mean anything to you? If it does, there is your explanation. Or do you just randomly copy-paste code without knowing what it does or why you're doing it? And if you are simultaneously scryptmining and unknowingly generating peercoins because of the aforementioned code, you are incredibly lucky, and living-proof that luck always trumps smarts.
Lloydimiller4

Monero

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 06:19:32 PM

Perhaps... and only perhaps, you made a primecoin.conf file and set in this file autostart mining configuration with your wallet, without write anything in debug window.

After you start cgminer and thought you were mining with cgminer instead with wallet...

That was it!
thanks a bunch, sorry if I'm a noob guys, but it doesn't give you all reason to be asshats.

You guys can have your fun and call me an idiot all you want, I really don't care.

XMR: 43uAvbYL7z9NrKQig2DswM69XaeDug1Rf8v4Un1ndssb2To51Vojz2uZ21jFumWsCcgvqZ9hPuE3fEr xKoGCkHU8CzqHFiS
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 06:21:13 PM

That was it!
thanks a bunch, sorry if I'm a noob guys, but it doesn't give you all reason to be asshats.

Um, primecoin isn't a scrypt coin. its a prime number calculating algo. completely new. you didn't set an auto start in your conf. you are  liar. they called you on your bullshit.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
TheSwede75

Activity: 224

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 06:24:51 PM

Who cares. Until Primecoin gets out of the 'basement dweller coin' status and has actual miners that 90% of people can use without 'hacking together' something, its just a nichecoin with no value.
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 06:25:16 PM

That was it!

Um, primecoin isn't a scrypt coin. its a prime number calculating algo. completely new. you didn't set an auto start in your conf. you are  liar. they called you on your bullshit.

just for the record.  cgminer --scrypt will connect to a primecoin-qt client and look like it is mining.. cgminer will report kh numbers for each gpu.... and it will report new blocks on the network in the console.....but it will not find blocks for primes... and i do not think conman will add the support either!

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
vingaard
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 06:26:55 PM

That was it!

Um, primecoin isn't a scrypt coin. its a prime number calculating algo. completely new. you didn't set an auto start in your conf. you are  liar. they called you on your bullshit.

What I'm saying is (and correct me if I'm wrong) you can set in primecoin.conf  an autostart mining (if you put gen=1 in primecoin.conf file then client will start mining automatically after start) so, when you start your wallet, it start mining automatically... If it is wrong so I don't know what Lloydimiller4 had done, but I prefer to think one person is innocent before launch my war dogs...  Wink
anonppcoin

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 06:33:31 PM

That was it!

You guys can have your fun and call me an idiot all you want, I really don't care.

Hint, don't make claims you don't know anything about and we could have avoided this problem in the first place! Ignorance is not an excuse when you are proactively sharing bad information as fact. A proper post would have been:

Hey guys, I think I've been using ScryptMiner GUI to solo mine primecoins, but I'm not exactly sure how it is working.

As opposed to:

Hey guys, I've been using ScryptMiner GUI to solo mine primecoins. It can submit shares and work with pools too.
vingaard
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 06:34:30 PM

That was it!

Hint, don't make claims you don't know anything about and we could have avoided this problem in the first place! Ignorance is not an excuse when you are proactively sharing bad information as fact. A proper post would have been:

Hey guys, I think I've been using ScryptMiner GUI to solo mine primecoins, but I'm not exactly sure how it is working.

As opposed to:

Hey guys, I've been using ScryptMiner GUI to solo mine primecoins. It can submit shares and work with pools too.

+1  Grin
Lloydimiller4

Monero

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 07:00:18 PM

That was it!

As opposed to:

Thank you, in the future I will try to not give advice when I am ignorant about the topic, but in this case I wasn't sure that I was ignorant until vingaard pointed it out.
OP, sorry for sidetracking your thread, I will stop posting in here unless its on topic.

Palmdetroit
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

PHS 50% PoS - Stop mining start minting

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 07:07:25 PM

No, primecoin is not a scrypt coin, you are a cunt liar thou.

Welcome to negative reputation baby.

this gui made me lol

tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 12:35:13 AM

Crossposting for exposure;

If anyone would like to give it a shot, there's an extremely optimized sieve of Eratosthenes implementation here:
https://primesieve.googlecode.com

From the software:
 The best sieving performance is achieved with a sieve size of your
  CPU's L1 data cache size (usually 32 or 64 KB) when sieving < 10^16
  and a sieve size of your CPU's L2 cache size above.

primesieve uses the segmented sieve of Eratosthenes with wheel factorization, this algorithm has a complexity of O (N log log N) operations and uses O (sqrt N) space.

Segmentation is currently the best known practical improvement to the sieve of Eratosthenes. Instead of sieving the interval [2, n] at once one subdivides the sieve interval into a number of equal sized segments that are then sieved consecutively. Segmentation drops the memory requirement of the sieve of Eratosthenes from O(N) to O(sqrt N). The segment size is usually chosen to fit into the CPU's fast L1 or L2 cache memory which significantly speeds up sieving. A segmented version of the sieve of Eratosthenes was first published by Singleton in 1969 [1], Bays and Hudson in [2] describe the algorithm in more detail.

From the source, the sieve size is small (1 * 10^6) by default if I'm interpreting it correctly.

I'm wondering if a massively parallel GPU implementation with higher memory bandwidth also benefiting from the reduced memory requirements will see much better performance.

Also,
primesieve generates the first 50,847,534 primes up to 10^9 in just 0.4 seconds on a single core of an Intel Core i7-920 2.66GHz, this is about 50 times faster than an ordinary C/C++ sieve of Eratosthenes implementation and about 10,000 times faster than trial-division. primesieve outperforms my older ecprime (fastest from 2002 to 2010) by about 30 percent and also substantially outperforms primegen the fastest sieve of Atkin implementation on the web. Here is a list of other fast sieve of Eratosthenes implementations.

If the current implementation is the standard C++ one (I haven't looked at it thoroughly but it seems to be), whoever can race to implement this first may benefit immensely.

For those interested, there's a CUDA implementation here too: http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=11900

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
craslovell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1021

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 02:08:15 AM

Any progress on this? I may be willing to add to the bounty if someone is actually at work on a miner...
dudeguy

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 03:29:54 AM

I'm not loaded by any means but I offer up 2 LTC for whoever creates an improved CPU miner (the first miner to be better than QT)--and 5 LTC for whoever creates the first GPU miner.
Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 01:02:58 PM

Bump.

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
TheSwede75

Activity: 224

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 01:16:37 PM

I would be willing to kick in some LTC/BTC for a CUDA implementation. There are already projects that has proven that CUDA is apfar superior at Mersenne solving over general processing power and CUDA implementations of Mersenne solving has already been used to verify for example the 14th Mersenne solved.

Of course, being a natural born Cynic, as always there will be people who do this on their own (or already has) and will have an order of magnitude advantage in mining over the "general public" rather then sharing it with the forum.
blastbob

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 01:19:42 PM

I would be willing to kick in some LTC/BTC for a CUDA implementation. There are already projects that has proven that CUDA is apfar superior at Mersenne solving over general processing power and CUDA implementations of Mersenne solving has already been used to verify for example the 14th Mersenne solved.

Of course, being a natural born Cynic, as always there will be people who do this on their own (or already has) and will have an order of magnitude advantage in mining over the "general public" rather then sharing it with the forum.

Ill joining that one, and i offer 1BTC with the keyword CUDA in it. Got a 580GTX that need work.

Posted a hint on cudaminer author post. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=167229.940

Bitrated user: blastbob.
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 01:23:30 PM

I am terribly confused by all of this now.
this.

(assuming in your favor that you're not a big-mouthed liar)

Onkel Paul

Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 01:27:50 PM

Would a mod be interested (Salty? Smiley) in doing escrow for this bounty pool?

Maybe I should make a thread with a bounty for a CUDA miner as well? Smiley

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: