Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:13:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: South African Drivers Can Now Pay Traffic Fines in Bitcoin  (Read 441 times)
CryptosapienZA (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 08:02:22 PM

https://news.bitcoin.com/south-african-drivers-can-now-pay-traffic-fines-in-bitcoin/

A traffic fines administrator from the city of Alberton, South Africa has started accepting payments in bitcoin. Drivers from all over the country who wish to pay their tickets with the cryptocurrency can now do so via this new service.

Cornelia van Niekerk, the owner of Fines 4 u, serves about 500 businesses and 8,000 individuals for whom she manages the restitution of traffic violations. She told local media that she has been interested in bitcoin since June this year, and wanted to offer people who share her interest another opportunity to use their bitcoin in South Africa.

The service allows clients to get a price quote in bitcoin for paying the fines which are denominated in South African rand by the traffic police. The transfer to the authorities will be done in fiat, just as any other fine payment, with Van Niekerk making the exchange. She believes that the value of bitcoin will rise with time so she is not afraid of short term depreciation during the process. It is promoted as a faster and lower cost option compared to bank transactions.

Pay Fines or HODL?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kueyen

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 08:20:57 PM

Although it's good that the use of bitcoin is becoming more widespread, I don't know how practical this is. I don't know how much the average traffic fine costs in South Africa, but considering the high transaction fees of bitcoin, it may not make sense to use bitcoin to pay them. But of course it's good in terms of exposure, like I said.

AlwaysJanuary

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 08:24:36 PM

That is a creative thing to do, looks like it is a private party.
alphie.bangas

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 08:28:10 PM

That's amazing! bitcoin has been recognize on some country's. I'm also hoping that my country will recognize also bitcoin as a digital currency in the future.
seizetehday5

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 08:36:56 PM

Everyday bitcoin gains international acceptance this story is no different. Long live Bitcorns Cheesy

avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1499

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 08:45:27 PM

Although it's good that the use of bitcoin is becoming more widespread, I don't know how practical this is. I don't know how much the average traffic fine costs in South Africa, but considering the high transaction fees of bitcoin, it may not make sense to use bitcoin to pay them. But of course it's good in terms of exposure, like I said.

Yes, that's the same thing that I see here. A government agency accepting bitcoin is a good news for the community as it increases the adaptability as well as the visibility of bitcoin in the socio-economic perspective, but citing the transaction fees and the time for confirmation make this decision impractical. While many people consider bitcoin as an investment asset, I doubt any people will be actually using bitcoin for making the payment for penalty. They would invest the money instead.

Anonylz

Activity: 2562
Merit: 577

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 08:48:35 PM

That is not good at all, they are not smart enough. They are living on a 3rd country, maybe they can make a good living with $2 or $3 a day, and they are spending around three or four dollars per transaction?

It does not make any sense, maybe each taxi costs $1 in there (as an example) and they are paying $4 worth of fees for each taxi that they take?

What is the point with that? Can anyone explain it to me? There are losing a bunch of money, where is the notice in all this thing?

██▄     ▄▄░
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
████▀                   ▀████
████       ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀▄   ████
████      ▄██████████▄▀    ████
████      ████████▀▀       ████
████  ▄▀ ▄██▀▀▀   ▄██      ████
████   ▀▀     ▄▄███▀       ████
████▄                   ▄████
▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
SECONDLIVE
CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS
                           Twitter       Telegram      Medium      YouTube      Discord        TikTok         GitHub               
        ▄▄███████▄▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
   ████████████████████▄
  ███████▀▀▀█████████████
 ██████▌     ▀████████████
███████▀ ▀▀▄▄██▀▀▀█████████
██████             ▀███████
██████▄             ███████
 ███████▄▄        ▄███████
  ███████████▄▄▄▄█████████
   ▀███████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀▀
   ██████████████████████
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 08:53:04 PM

That is not good at all, they are not smart enough. They are living on a 3rd country, maybe they can make a good living with $2 or $3 a day, and they are spending around three or four dollars per transaction?

It does not make any sense, maybe each taxi costs $1 in there (as an example) and they are paying $4 worth of fees for each taxi that they take?

What is the point with that? Can anyone explain it to me? There are losing a bunch of money, where is the notice in all this thing?

I don't think citizens of RSA will experience low value transactions if they're driving cars bud Wink

maybe they can make a good living with $2 or $3 a day

Not true. The cost of living is moderate in South Africa.

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
ari.nielsson

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 08:54:40 PM

https://news.bitcoin.com/south-african-drivers-can-now-pay-traffic-fines-in-bitcoin/

A traffic fines administrator from the city of Alberton, South Africa has started accepting payments in bitcoin. Drivers from all over the country who wish to pay their tickets with the cryptocurrency can now do so via this new service.

Cornelia van Niekerk, the owner of Fines 4 u, serves about 500 businesses and 8,000 individuals for whom she manages the restitution of traffic violations. She told local media that she has been interested in bitcoin since June this year, and wanted to offer people who share her interest another opportunity to use their bitcoin in South Africa.

The service allows clients to get a price quote in bitcoin for paying the fines which are denominated in South African rand by the traffic police. The transfer to the authorities will be done in fiat, just as any other fine payment, with Van Niekerk making the exchange. She believes that the value of bitcoin will rise with time so she is not afraid of short term depreciation during the process. It is promoted as a faster and lower cost option compared to bank transactions.

Pay Fines or HODL?

I am really impressed to read this news. Thank you for letting us know about it. I'm expecting way more from South Africa.
reingelz09

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 08:57:35 PM

Interesting..africans i heard africans are so people minded, they will accepting anything as long its for their success..just a wow for them!
Kingofbitcoin12345

Activity: 462
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 09:01:04 PM

I feel good to hear this kind of news that the adaptation of bitcoin on this services is now much more opened to public.. Even I have doubts that this will work smoothly as the bitcoin price is unstable and fluctuations may be a big factor to its success.. In the end it’s better to try implement something like this means a lot and the country start this is not the country that I expected.. Maybe the admin himself is a bitcoin enthusiast that is possible..

____________yahoo62278 CAMPAIGN MANAGER________  ◥◥  The Best & Most Popular Manager  ◤◤  ____________
ICO Manager          Bounty Manager          Signature Campaign Manager          Twitter Campaign Manager
█████████████████████████   ADD "yahoo62278" on Telegram & Skype   █████████████████████████
zombie6

Activity: 438
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 09:07:44 PM

This is the last thing for which I would have to pay bitcoins) bitcoin is not at all created for everyday expenses, unless you are one of the Winklevoss brothers Grin
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 09:53:11 PM

Yes, that's the same thing that I see here. A government agency accepting bitcoin is a good news for the community as it increases the adaptability as well as the visibility of bitcoin in the socio-economic perspective, but citing the transaction fees and the time for confirmation make this decision impractical. While many people consider bitcoin as an investment asset, I doubt any people will be actually using bitcoin for making the payment for penalty. They would invest the money instead.
Just imagine:
You pay the fine with bitcoin. You have 'lost' those bitcoins. Let's say you don't buy it back in a short period of time. Some months later, you notice that bitcoin price has multiplied by 1,5 (or 2x). It's not the best purpose for spending bitcoins for traffic fines. If you buy a house or something that's really an investment, it is much more practical spending.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 09:57:47 PM

Pay Fines or HODL?
I'd HODL, knowing SA the city would probably get the fine payment and then hold it themselves, it's not like there's anything they would really need to sell the Bitcoin for if they have enough revenue to surpass their operating expenses, and if they surpass their operating expenses they're going to sell it and miss out on the potential value. Just scrounge up some fiat and pay them in that form of wealth instead. They won't be missing the Bitcoin that they could be receiving. For now, anyways.
Mad7Scientist

Activity: 373
Merit: 262

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 11:44:19 PM

SA is the most westernized country in Africa!
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2017, 11:48:13 PM

It doesn't sounds like a good idea. I wouldn't choose to pay traffic fine with Bitcoins. First of all, let's say you have to pay $10 fine. But by looking how Bitcoin price is growing, after some time these Btc that you paid may be worth $15-$20. Meh, I would prefer to buy something that I need with these BTC, instead of paying fine with. Another obvious thing - big transaction fees. I don't want to pay more money than I was fined.

razzbee

Activity: 182

Transcodium - The Future of Transcoding

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2017, 11:51:23 PM

Interesting..africans i heard africans are so people minded, they will accepting anything as long its for their success..just a wow for them!

hahaha, I am sure not everything, imagine, it could be a test case, who knows , they might change it to BTG or a crypto with less fees, besides South Africa is one of the most advanced countries in Africa and maybe in the world..
razzbee

Activity: 182

Transcodium - The Future of Transcoding

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2017, 11:52:27 PM

Just imagine:
You pay the fine with bitcoin. You have 'lost' those bitcoins. Let's say you don't buy it back in a short period of time. Some months later, you notice that bitcoin price has multiplied by 1,5 (or 2x). It's not the best purpose for spending bitcoins for traffic fines. If you buy a house or something that's really an investment, it is much more practical spending.

am impressed with your answer
flippener

Activity: 322
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2017, 12:23:05 AM

I think this makes sense - in Africa people have access to bitcoin on their phone, but may not own a bank account.

..C..
........What is C?.........
...........ICO            Dec 1st – Dec 30th............
       ............Open            Dec 1st- Dec 30th............
...................ANN thread      Bounty....................

trynewline

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 05:53:46 PM

It's a really good sign that bitcoin is starting to gain more respect from the public. For sure this will change the way we spend money soon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: