Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 04:42:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory Install Has Endless Loop  (Read 3047 times)
Bungeebones (OP)

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 01:58:24 PM

I'm trying to set up Armory version .88.1 on Ubuntu 13.04. I originally got my Bitcoin.QT 8.1.1 wallet installed through synaptic and synced up. Had all these problems described below and updated to Bitcoin-qt v 8.3.3 without any change in problem.

With Bitcoin wallet running I start Armory and get error "Please Close Bitcoin-QT". Clicking the "Check Again" button I get reprimanded again for having QT running and it offers to close QT down for me. I selected that and end up in an endless error loop saying either "Can't find Bitcoin-QT or "turn it off" (a paraphrase)?).

I tried the equivalent "Close Bitcoin Process" button. The error "Please Close Bitcoin" is still there (shouldn't closing Bitcoin Processes at least  refresh this to remove the error message?). Click "Check Again" and get "Cannot find Bitcoin". ARRRGGGHHH, it found it the first time when it was running and made me shut it down?

I changed the Bitcoin Install Dir and the Bitcoin Home Dir locations in Armory Settings wizard to /home/online/.bitcoin and restarted. It still reports "Cannot Find Bitcoin Installation". I checked the Armory settings to make sure the new ones remained and they did. I start Bitcoin, let it sync back up and tell Armory to "Check Again" and I'm back where I was when I started "The Bitcoin software appears to be installed now, but it needs to be closed for Armory to work.  Would you like Armory to close it for you?".

Select "Yes" and it reports Cannot Find Bitcoin Installation" with a popup stating "The Bitcoin software still appears to be missing.  If you just installed it, then please adjust your settings to point to the installation directory.". An endless loop.

I also notice that when using the Armory Settings wizard for entering the location of the Bitcoin Install the form displays a path to the armory install that omits the "home" folder (in my case) from the path. If I try to emulate that for the Bitcoin address (as armory and bitcoin are side by side in the same folder) I get error of an incorrect path.

I thought it might be related to having imported a read-only Armory wallet so I removed it.

I also tried using the Armory (offline) version and using its "Revert" function to reset everything. I also tried renaming and even moving the hidden bitcoin folder to a visible bitcoin folder. Nothing is working. 

Help please!!!
Bungeebones (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 02:21:06 PM

A minor addition - when Armory chokes at finding Bitcoin is running it asks "The Bitcoin software appears to be installed now, but it needs to be closed for Armory to work.  Would you like Armory to close it for you?". I always clicked "yes" but tried "no" to see what happens and it hen, still continues to report "Cannot Find Bitcoin Installation" even with it running?
Bungeebones (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 03:55:09 PM

I am pretty sure I broke through the problem. I dug into Armory and found under Troubleshooting that Armory needs bitcoind. It's not clear if this is in addition do Bitcoin-qt or instead of but after installing bitcoind I started Armory and it found bitcoin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: