Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:15:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Taxes on bitcoin?  (Read 468 times)
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 10:34:19 PM

Is it possible that i have to pay taxes on my Bitcoin in the future?
I doubt it, since btc is decentralized, who would be able to monitor the exact amount to tax? Will you as a user willingly divulge all your crypto assets if there is no way for them to check if it's true or not?

This is terrible advice. If you transact with exchanges, you often need to provide ID and proof of residence. Even if you don't, various information is collected about you: personal information, cookies, IP address, BTC deposit/withdrawal history, etc. Companies like Chainalysis then track blockchain activity, flagging any and all activity that could be used to identity you later.

The IRS (US tax agency) is already using Chainalysis software to identify people that are using BTC to evade taxes. Bitcoin privacy is pretty bad, especially when users don't selectively use UTXOs or Tor browser, etc. I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but Bitcoin is taxable in one or more ways in the US. The IRS published a FAQ about digital currencies earlier this year to help investors figure out how to report their taxes.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitplaya

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2017, 01:34:43 AM

I doubt it, since btc is decentralized, who would be able to monitor the exact amount to tax? Will you as a user willingly divulge all your crypto assets if there is no way for them to check if it's true or not?

This is terrible advice. If you transact with exchanges, you often need to provide ID and proof of residence. Even if you don't, various information is collected about you: personal information, cookies, IP address, BTC deposit/withdrawal history, etc. Companies like Chainalysis then track blockchain activity, flagging any and all activity that could be used to identity you later.

The IRS (US tax agency) is already using Chainalysis software to identify people that are using BTC to evade taxes. Bitcoin privacy is pretty bad, especially when users don't selectively use UTXOs or Tor browser, etc. I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but Bitcoin is taxable in one or more ways in the US. The IRS published a FAQ about digital currencies earlier this year to help investors figure out how to report their taxes.

Thanks for this info, I live in the U.S, so this is good to know.
Mayorlopez215

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 03:52:01 PM

The answer is no, because as bitcoin is decentralized and  no one control it.

Don't put out false information. Here in the US you most certainly will have to pay taxes on your profits. The only question is how these profits are calculated.
You don't have to reject someone else point, just spill out your mind, there is really no tax charges in some countries and there is in some too.
thinkpad99

Activity: 654
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 05:37:56 PM

we all dont know about this, because as of now there are no taxes related in bitcoin in my country,its only a transaction fee that they took, but for sure sooner or later governments will implement taxes in our precious bitcoin transactions, mostly for those country that has own bitcoin wallet exchanges.

Some pertinent information regarding the US Tax Code
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-14-21.pdf

Q-7: What type of gain or loss does a taxpayer realize on the sale or exchange of
virtual currency?
A-7: The character of the gain or loss generally depends on whether the virtual
currency is a capital asset in the hands of the taxpayer. A taxpayer generally realizes
capital gain or loss on the sale or exchange of virtual currency that is a capital asset in
the hands of the taxpayer. For example, stocks, bonds, and other investment property
are generally capital assets. A taxpayer generally realizes ordinary gain or loss on the
sale or exchange of virtual currency that is not a capital asset in the hands of the
taxpayer. Inventory and other property held mainly for sale to customers in a trade or
business are examples of property that is not a capital asset. See Publication 544 for
more information about capital assets and the character of gain or loss.

Q-8: Does a taxpayer who “mines” virtual currency (for example, uses computer
resources to validate Bitcoin transactions and maintain the public Bitcoin
transaction ledger) realize gross income upon receipt of the virtual currency
resulting from those activities?
A-8: Yes, when a taxpayer successfully “mines” virtual currency, the fair market value
of the virtual currency as of the date of receipt is includible in gross income. See
Publication 525, Taxable and Nontaxable Income, for more information on taxable
income.

Thank you for this information. Even though I'm not a novice user, I'm really useful. Sometimes it is really worth remembering some of the things that may later turn out to be important.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: