Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:10:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using one-time-use bitcoin address after it has expired?  (Read 3894 times)
doc911 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 04:53:40 PM

When you visit online stores that take Bitcoins, like www.bitcoinstore.com, at the end of the checkout, you are presented with a one-time-use bitcoin address that is valid for 15 minutes.

What happens if I send money to that address after the link has expired (using a Bitcoin wallet like Bitcoin-QT)? Will the transaction not go through, or will my Bitcoins disappear, or will they end up at the merchant anyway?
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 05:05:30 PM

When you visit online stores that take Bitcoins, like www.bitcoinstore.com, at the end of the checkout, you are presented with a one-time-use bitcoin address that is valid for 15 minutes.

What happens if I send money to that address after the link has expired (using a Bitcoin wallet like Bitcoin-QT)? Will the transaction not go through, or will my Bitcoins disappear, or will they end up at the merchant anyway?

Depends on who you are dealing with. Whoever generated the address will still have the key to it, so any money sent there will still go to them. Unless they delete the keys after you use the address once, which is a rather stupid thing to do, keys do not take up much memory, in that case the money would just be gone. So you can pretty much assume that they get any bitcoins sent to that address. If they are nice and you talk to them, they will credit your account with the money sent. If they are not so nice, they will deny getting the money or just tell you it is theirs now and you are out of luck.

Typically people give out one time addresses so that they can match payments with orders. If you send money to an old address they would not know which order the money was supposed to be paying for, so it adds work and headaches to the people you are trying to pay.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 08:05:22 PM

- snip -
Whoever generated the address will still have the key to it, so any money sent there will still go to them. Unless they delete the keys after you use the address once, which is a rather stupid thing to do, keys do not take up much memory,
- snip -
So you can pretty much assume that they get any bitcoins sent to that address.
- snip -
If they are not so nice, they will . . . just tell you it is theirs now and you are out of luck.
- snip -

This appears to be the official policy at MtGox.
niko

Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 08:10:15 PM

What Peter Lambert said. I'll just add that some larger businesses appear to recycle addresses after a while (resources are not really infinite).

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Peter Lambert

Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 08:15:18 PM

What Peter Lambert said. I'll just add that some larger businesses appear to recycle addresses after a while (resources are not really infinite).

Right. They give you the address to pay to, once you pay your bill they tell the next guy to pay to that address. If you send another payment to that address, it looks like the next guy made a partial payment and their records get all screwed up.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: