Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 01:57:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: is your Block Erupter acting glitchy? especially if you have more than than one,  (Read 574 times)
jes5199 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 06:52:41 PM

I was having a problem with my Block Erupters that when I had two running, which ever one started second would act weird - it was reporting a really absurdly high hash rate but nothing ever got submitted to the pool.

Turns out that this is the result of my USB hub not having enough power capacity to run more than one device at a time. Once switched to a powered USB hub (and once I remembered to actually plug in the wall-wart instead of still running it off of my system power), both of my Block Erupters started working consistently well.

This is the powered hub I used:  D-Link Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7-Port Powered Hub (DUB-H7) (amazon: http://amzn.com/B00008VFAF?tag=jes5199-20 ) It's the one that is popular in the Raspberry Pi community (they do a clever thing where they plug the Pi into the power-only slot and then run the Pi's USB devices through the data ports).

(newbie forum post because i'm a newb.)
Zanatos666

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 07:17:42 PM

And no offense, that is a newbie move.  Any USB mining device you are running needs to run off a powered hub, thats just a well known fact.

My Jalapeno would crash every two days when I had it plugged directly into my RPi.  Once I moved it to a powered hub (and then eventually just onto Windows of my main machine that never gets shutdown anyway) I havent had a problem.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
altcoiner

Activity: 351
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 07:48:52 PM

And no offense, that is a newbie move.  Any USB mining device you are running needs to run off a powered hub, thats just a well known fact.

My Jalapeno would crash every two days when I had it plugged directly into my RPi.  Once I moved it to a powered hub (and then eventually just onto Windows of my main machine that never gets shutdown anyway) I havent had a problem.

thanks for the info, i didnt know that Smiley
necron40k

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 05:28:25 PM

The block erupters consume about 500 ma or .5 Amps of power (btw thats about 2.5 watts). That is the maximum amount of power that a single usb port can supply. So you need a power adapter for anything more than one erupter on a single hub. And its simple addition at that point. If you have 2 eruptors you need a 1 watt power adaptor, 3 erupters you need a 1.5 amp power adapter, etc.
otremontiram

Activity: 1

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 05:57:06 PM

Can you recommend any tested usb 10 port powered hub?
i found some on ebay, but if you have anything tested and can give give some advice, would be great.

Thank in advance
necron40k

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 06:07:36 PM

Can you recommend any tested usb 10 port powered hub?
i found some on ebay, but if you have anything tested and can give give some advice, would be great.

The Anker 10 port 3.0 Hub. I have 2 of them with 10 miners plugged in each. The adapter is rated at 4 amps but if you read the manuals and stuff when you get the hub you will see that it can actually provide up to and past 7 amps although they don't recommend going higher. Its expensive though, about $50. It even has a built in surge protector. No idea if it will protect the USB miners from a power spike but I like to think it does Smiley  There is a cheaper 8 port version I saw on ebay made by another company but I forget their name
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: