Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:46:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Vouchers - QR Code Create AND Scan Mobile - Android/iOS/OpenSrc - MtGox Live  (Read 12265 times)
rasengan (OP)

Activity: 139
Merit: 37

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 06:36:07 AM
Last edit: July 03, 2011, 04:29:02 AM by rasengan

Hi guys,

Edit: QR Scanning has been added in the form of a third party application.  Android users will need to download the Barcode Scanner application.  iOS Barcode scanning is/will be built into the application.  This may change for Android as well soon!  Thanks for the suggestions.

The largest Bitcoin Exchange, MtGox.com, has rolled out an amazing new feature for Bitcoin and MtGox users which allows you to create voucher codes which can be redeemed by yourself or another user at any given moment.  This feature makes it very easy to pay for things with Bitcoins when you are out and about, or even online.  While decentralized transactions most definitely have its place, there are many times where a central payment processor makes things much easier.

MtGox Live has built an Android and iOS application which helps you use the functionality of MtGox.com from your handheld device.  Nearing version 1.6, thanks to all of the feedback and support from this board, our support forums and IRC (#MtGoxLive), many of the usability changes and issues have been stamped in/out.  In addition, the app already has support for MtGox.com's new voucher system and QR codes!

Now, when you are charged .001 BTC for your meal, you can simply create a voucher for .001 BTC and a QR code will be generated instantly.  The merchant can then scan the QR code and instantly gain the value in his/her MtGox account.

More screenshots, information and support/help
http://forum.mtgoxlive.com/showthread.php/3-MtGox-Live-Bitcoin-Trader-Android-iOS-Open-Source

Android Market Link
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mtgoxlive.trader

Apple Appstore
Sorry!  Please wait a few days.
(QR/Voucher will be slightly delayed due to Review Duration/Process)

Github
https://github.com/andysl/Bitcoin-Trader

btc.to
http://btc.to/

MtGox
http://mtgox.com/

Come chat on #MtGoxLive on IRC.Freenode.Net
* To send bitcoins to a bitcoin address, get a bitcoin address shortened on http://btc.to and enter it on the send tab.

* To create a voucher, just press create with the value.  If you want a QR code, just answer yes.

* If you close the voucher QR on accident, you can goto history (reload if necessary) and click on the item in history.  Instantly you'll see the QR again and the voucher code.

* There is absolutely no automatic refresh aside from during an action (buy/sell/send/vouchers/cancel order).  Besides that, you must manually refresh.

* Depth is limited to 14 records for buy and sell.  More will be added later.. IF there is demand.

* A lot of cool new stuff coming soon.  Grin

* Come chat on irc.freenode.net #mtgoxlive
Brought to you by MtGox Live
http://mtgoxlive.com/
We are not affiliated with MtGox.com/Tibanne Co., Ltd. - but we love them. \o/

Joseon.com - The First Legally Recognized Cyber State

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 08:57:50 AM

Looks very nice.

btc.to looks really well done, but do you need their database for look ups? And the site has to be up to get assigned an address?

I humbly suggest looking at the firstbits rule. FirstBits.com is the only convenient place for look-ups right now, but the rule is simple and the only database is the blockchain.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
rasengan (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 09:02:54 AM
Last edit: July 02, 2011, 09:31:06 AM by rasengan

Yes, you do need the btc.to db, which will be publicly available.  We will be doing everything to ensure great and rapid service.  As mentioned in another thread, MtGox Live is also the proud new and official mirror of blockexplorer.com.  We will be adding as much bandwidth, hardware, etc. necessary to provide the best service to all of our users.  Also, there are better ways to advertise your service than to self promote hijacking another's thread. >_>

qikaifu

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

God creats math and math creats bitcoin.

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 09:09:03 AM

nice job.

will you support other exchanges if they give the similar voucher system?

If you see any of my suggestions useful, please donate me. http://btc.to/ec
MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 02:33:21 PM

Neat, now just missing ability to read QR codes Wink
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 02:40:24 PM

Watching this thread.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 03:30:34 PM

Thank you, personally I feel this kind of app is critical to Bitcoin development.
BitQuestr (BitCoinWorldMarket)

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 04:32:45 PM

+1

Fantastic, can't wait for it to come out on iOS! This has been desperately needed. Personally using an exchange as an online wallet makes much more sense to me than trusting the current online wallets.
magik

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 06:34:55 PM

how exactly does the voucher system work? it sends them from mtgox to an address? I'd love more info, not sure where else I can find it heh

also, as someone mentioned above, I prefer the way firstbits shortens bitcoin addresses, and there is a good algorithm to determine the addresses using the block chain

also, with different settings for the android's screen "size" - like editing the build.prop - everything on the screen is all wacky:

https://i.imgur.com/x7UtQ.pnghttp://imgur.com/9t7Ce.png
rasengan (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 07:28:41 PM
Last edit: July 02, 2011, 08:06:38 PM by rasengan

how exactly does the voucher system work? it sends them from mtgox to an address? I'd love more info, not sure where else I can find it heh

also, as someone mentioned above, I prefer the way firstbits shortens bitcoin addresses, and there is a good algorithm to determine the addresses using the block chain

also, with different settings for the android's screen "size" - like editing the build.prop - everything on the screen is all wacky:

1) The voucher system that MtGox.com has implemented is very straight forward.  Visit MtGox.com and checkout the Withdrawal page.  Choose to create a voucher and create a voucher for whatever amount you wish.  If your account is funded properly balance wise to cover the amount of this voucher, then it will automatically generate and provide you a code for the voucher.  The balance will be deducted from your account.  Anyone can then enter this voucher code to "redeem" the value on the Add Funds page.  Hope this helps you understand it a little more.

2) Usually, before editing the build.prop people are instructed that there may be some sort of incompatibilities with the UI on many apps.  There are not that many applications that are tailored for rooted users so this is actually common.  There are serious repercussions as you have seen above when making modifications to the build.prop or any modifications to a rooted android thereof, and one should tread with caution.  Luckily, screen dimensions are a pretty minor thing.  But yes, it's one thing for rooted applications including Rom Manager, Titanium Backup, etc. to cater to a rooted market, but at this time for the benefit of the bitcoin community we wanted to make sure this app worked with the masses first with the functionality that everyone wants and needs first.

However, we'll build a more universally globally dimensionally artistically proportionally compatible APK soon, as we too love rooting and customizing our androids, but for now you may need to revert your build.prop or edit the manifest and rebuild this application first, as right now the primary focus is adding barcode scanning so we can help to make bitcoin bigger, more popular, more accepted, and more awesome for the masses.

Please come find me on IRC if you need assistance sir! ^_^

rethaw

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 07:33:38 PM

This is really exciting.

datguywhowanders

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 07:40:17 PM

This is something that was desperately needed in the Bitcoin community.

I'm not sure how I feel about an exchange, any exchange not just Mt. Gox, handling central processing and essentially banking duties in addition to it's normal line of work.

I think a lot of people would be happier to see this integrated with an online wallet that is essentially the same as a checking or savings account but not tied to the exchange. However, since MagicalTux and Mt. Gox is currently the only one, that I know of anyway, to offer this type of a service via their API, I applaud the efforts to get this up and running and out the door.

Great job guys!

Donations Welcome: 163id7T8KZ6MevqT86DjrBF2kfCPrQsfZE
magik

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 08:42:44 PM

2) Usually, before editing the build.prop people are instructed that there may be some sort of incompatibilities with the UI on many apps.  There are not that many applications that are tailored for rooted users so this is actually common.  There are serious repercussions as you have seen above when making modifications to the build.prop or any modifications to a rooted android thereof, and one should tread with caution.  Luckily, screen dimensions are a pretty minor thing.  But yes, it's one thing for rooted applications including Rom Manager, Titanium Backup, etc. to cater to a rooted market, but at this time for the benefit of the bitcoin community we wanted to make sure this app worked with the masses first with the functionality that everyone wants and needs first.

However, we'll build a more universally globally dimensionally artistically proportionally compatible APK soon, as we too love rooting and customizing our androids, but for now you may need to revert your build.prop or edit the manifest and rebuild this application first, as right now the primary focus is adding barcode scanning so we can help to make bitcoin bigger, more popular, more accepted, and more awesome for the masses.

Please come find me on IRC if you need assistance sir! ^_^

sounds good, I'm not actually sure if my build.prop is modified, I just put on the leaked gingerbread for my Atrix 4G - and it came up with what I recognized as different screen settings than froyo.  But it being a non-official flash, I just assumed the build.prop was modified by someone else.  Glad to know it will eventually come - if it's any help, I think it may be an issue of designing the UI using regular pixel sizes instead of the Density-Independent Pixels ( http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html ).  A good example showing what's currently happening vs. what should be  happening is further down the page ( http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html#density-independence ).  Probably a bit more to do if you really want to support all kinds of screen sizes and densities.  But yeah, looking forward to this, as of right now it's not to usable for me with everything tiny haha. 

And this voucher and payment system sounds like it may be pretty sweet - I didn't even know MtGox did that.  And to be able to swap coins with people using QR codes would be pretty cool.  It'd be even cooler to be able to do something like Bump - where you tap your phones together and it transfers the BTC.  But yeah QR codes is a nice fallback - that will be able to cross over to other devices/OSes much easier if this gains traction.
rasengan (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 12:34:59 AM
Last edit: July 03, 2011, 01:30:32 AM by rasengan

QR Code Scanning functionality has now been built into version 1.7 which has been uploaded to the Android Market just now.  Now you can easily create vouchers and redeem vouchers on your Android smartphone.  The iOS version is still in review and will be available very soon.

Please use this thread for application feedback and discussion.

Please let me know application problems/issues here, to keep this thread clean:
http://forum.mtgoxlive.com/showthread.php/3-MtGox-Live-Bitcoin-Trader-Android-iOS-Open-Source

Shinobi

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 02:57:06 AM

Why can't you make this available via Cydia? Even if you choose to charge for it, Cydia has that option. I'd like to use this instead of waiting for Apple's approval. Fuck them, it's my phone.

_______
Thinking of using a cheap, yet reliable VPN? Go with PrivateInternetAccess. Not a referral link. Just a satisfied customer!
rasengan (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 02:59:39 AM

No, we are not going to charge. ^_^
It will be available via Cydia soon.  There are a few other protocol specific changes that we are making now.  Smiley

gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 03:25:15 AM

Incredible work!

But I have one question...

What is stopping me from "modding" this qr code creation and immediately storing (and redeeming) my codes as soon as I "gift" them to another merchant?

Seems like it would be a pretty easy thing to do, no?

Say "here is 0.1 btc for that coffee, thanks!"

And then immediately redeem the copied code I sent them, essentially stealing the coffee?
rasengan (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 03:30:09 AM

If the code is used, when they redeem it (right away by scanning the code on your screen), it will reply with an error indicating such.  Then, they would ask you to pay with a valid code I would imagine. (i.e., like a CC decline)

koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 04:29:14 AM

nice to see this.  what is to prevent: "lost my phone, now all my mtgusds are gone!"?
rasengan (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 04:32:22 AM

Not one single user credential is saved. (Albeit, of course, this leads to a hassle when re-entering your password but we are working on a secured solution to this.)

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: