Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:28:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [PSA]: Shipping gold/silver properly  (Read 2128 times)
Bitweasil (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 10:20:01 PM

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind people about how to ship metals (gold/silver/etc) properly, due to seeing some creative shipping lately, some successful, some less so.

First, I'd like to thank Amagi for doing it right.  You guys rock.  Your packages are incredibly frustrating to get into without something sharp and a lot of time, and there's absolutely no way for someone to open your packages without it being really obvious.

I've also seen some far less-good shipping, and thought I'd offer a few suggestions on shipping.  This is US based, but the general concepts apply other places as well.

First, if it's a single coin or a few coins, a padded mailer is probably OK.  You should secure the coins inside the envelope though, so they don't rattle.  I've seen this done a few ways, and stapling "pockets" over a piece of backing cardboard is one of my favorites - it holds them securely.  However, if you're shipping multiple coins, it is well worth boxing them - wrap them in some paper if they're loose, and then stuff the box with packing peanuts or packing paper.

Another option is to secure the coins or small bars to a sheet of cardboard with tape, then fold the cardboard over on itsself, and pack this into a mailer.  This keeps them separated and avoids noise.

For larger orders or bars, the best way to do it is a box.  USPS offers free flat rate boxes, and these are well worth the money.  Whatever you do with the metal, make sure it doesn't rattle or clank against other bars - there's a very distinctive ring to silver especially in large bars.  Packing things tightly in bubble wrap works well, but tape the bubble wrap closed so things don't shift.  If you're shipping a partially filled tube of coins, stuff the rest with something so they don't rattle around and make noise.  Once you've got the box packed tightly so it doesn't rattle at all, tape it heavily.  If you have the fiber stranded tape, it's worth using, otherwise just ensure that there's no way it can open by accident.

Basically, if you can shake the box and have a decent confidence of what's in it, you're doing it wrong.  It should be just a heavy box with nothing obvious in it.  This stands a very good chance of getting where it's going.

The attacks you're worried about in transit are twofold.  The first is just pure package failure.  Metal, getting rattled around, and going through somewhat abusive sorting machines, will find it's way out of flat rate envelopes and similar even without any help.  You want to ensure it can never gain the momentum to break out - it has to be firmly fixed in place.

The second attack is the contents being "helped along" on their escape.  The defense against this is to simply make the package look boring and well secured.  If someone can rip the corner of an envelope quickly, empty it, and then tape it up claiming it broke in transit, they get the contents.  If the metal is rattling around, this is much more likely.

Basically, the recipient should, on receipt of the package, be somewhat annoyed by how long it takes to get into it.  This means it's packed right.

Other comments on shipping are welcome.

Need high quality, rack mountable GPU clusters for OpenCL work or password auditing?  http://www.stricture-group.com/
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 06:16:55 AM

Get insurance.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
ModusPwnd

Activity: 546
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 06:26:17 PM

Get insurance.

I never do.  Its far cheaper to self insure.  They make money off of the insurance.
amagimetals

Activity: 519
Merit: 501

:|: AmagiMetals :|: AnthemGold :|: HERC :|:

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 06:44:40 PM

Get insurance.

I never do.  Its far cheaper to self insure.  They make money off of the insurance.

Not when you lose a $250,000 shipment.

OP: Thank you for the great compliment! We see shipping as an art, and are always trying to improve our shipping methods.

AmagiMetals.com is a global eCommerce precious metals retailer and advocates for free markets, free choice, financial responsibility, and sound money.
Join us on: Facebook - Twitter - Google Plus
randrace

Activity: 329

LTC -> BTC -> Silver!

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 09:07:03 PM

Thanks for the tips.
Veldt Gold

Activity: 295

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 05:35:13 AM

Great thread! People often don't realize that shipping precious metals carries a higher value than typical parcels and must be handled in a unique way.

I would consider adding USPS registered mail to your post. USPS registered mail is the safest way to send packages. It must be signed for by EVERY postal employee that comes in contact with the package meaning there is a direct line of custody for your package. On top of that, tampering with USPS mail is a federal offense, a standard not shared with private commercial carriers such as UPS and FedEx. The only other option with higher security parameters would be to send it by Brinks or another similar service.

Every Registered mail package must be sealed by the sender using plain brown tape. When the package is received by USPS they will stamp all edges of the brown paper tape. This ensures that any tampering with the package is immediately evident. Most non bullion dealers will typically not have a private insurer that will allow them to send their precious metals insured. USPS will insure a package shipped registered mail for a value of up to $25,000.

In fact, registered mail is so safe that it was the shipping service used to send the Hope diamond to the Smithsonian Institution. Henry "Harry" Winston sent the Hope diamond registered mail based on his years of experience sending high value jewelry world wide. He told a reporter for the Washington Post that,  “ . . . registered mail is the safest way to ship gems. . . . I’ve sent gems all over the world that way.” The value placed at the time of shipping for the Hope diamond was $1,000,000.

Agora Commodities ships all orders $5,000 and above for free and we always ship these orders Registered mail. We have never had an issue with this service.

VELDT GOLD - your full service bitcoin to bullion dealer!
dozerz
Legendary

Activity: 2215
Merit: 1057

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 08:03:52 AM

its not always possible to insure precious metals, this goes for most of the world's postal services. usa seems the best place to trade with insurance, low prices and excellent trustworthy vendors.

good post bitweasil, the simple rule of postage is if its moving inside youve done it wrong.

space for rent, shilling for sats
EzCheese

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 07:08:20 PM

I second the kudos for Amagi shipping -- There is no sneaky corner lifting, it's taped well and double packaged (I've only ordered 1 oz bars/rounds so far) but I'd like to see what they do for larger bars. 
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 07:18:23 PM

If using Royal Mail in the UK you have to use special delivery, if you use recorded delivery is doesn't cover precious metals.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2013, 08:18:48 PM

Get insurance.

So you can pay out out over many packages, then when it comes time to collect they find a reason not to pay.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: