Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:49:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Look at all those Buy orders get cancelled!  (Read 2782 times)
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 07:26:41 AM

Look at all those Buy orders get cancelled!

Bid   15.47   0.26
Bid   15.71   0.53

Last chance to buy at 15.71  
I thought you people had courage and conviction.   Cheesy

Edit: One more brave buyer stepped in:
Bid   15.4703   10
Bid   15.6902   7.84

Next....?

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dinzy

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 01:06:25 PM

?  What do a couple of 10 BTC bids matter?

I am more interested in the random large buy/sell orders that appear and vanish before ever being executed.  WTF is up with that?  Why would a single entity be playing the market like that?  It almost looks like they are trying to steer it so they can trade at the peaks and valleys.
SlipperySlope

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 04:15:20 PM

I am more interested in the random large buy/sell orders that appear and vanish before ever being executed.  WTF is up with that?  Why would a single entity be playing the market like that?  It almost looks like they are trying to steer it so they can trade at the peaks and valleys.

Good question.  I intend to record historical open order information to analyse such phenomena.
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 04:19:19 PM

I've got burned at least two times by those - last week quite badly by the 6K buy bid just after the open on Monday.   I had a lot of confidence after the buy bids stacked to over 40K and bought a lot - but when the price started to fall they remove these bids.
AyeYo

Activity: 154
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 04:22:14 PM

I've got burned at least two times by those - last week quite badly by the 6K buy bid just after the open on Monday.   I had a lot of confidence after the buy bids stacked to over 40K and bought a lot - but when the price started to fall they remove these bids.

Did you honestly think it was that easy to trade market depth?

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 04:24:28 PM

?  What do a couple of 10 BTC bids matter?

I am more interested in the random large buy/sell orders that appear and vanish before ever being executed.  WTF is up with that?  Why would a single entity be playing the market like that?  It almost looks like they are trying to steer it so they can trade at the peaks and valleys.

Well - I was aware that it can mean nothing - but historically this was a sure sign.  Times are changing.  At least I've learned fast enough to sell before the recent dip.
AyeYo

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 04:35:07 PM

?  What do a couple of 10 BTC bids matter?

I am more interested in the random large buy/sell orders that appear and vanish before ever being executed.  WTF is up with that?  Why would a single entity be playing the market like that?  It almost looks like they are trying to steer it so they can trade at the peaks and valleys.

Well - I was aware that it can mean nothing - but historically this was a sure sign.  Times are changing.  At least I've learned fast enough to sell before the recent dip.

You have to keep a couple things in mind.  Even in real markets, the big players always have their orders hidden unless they want them to not be hidden for a specific reason.  If they show them, it's usually not actual size (ice berg order), unless of course they want actual size to show for a specific reason.  Trading market depth is NOT for retail investors.  Honestly, you're better off not looking at it at all.

Furthermore, MtGox is NOT a real exchange.  There is absolutely no regulation or oversight, so you don't even know if the data you're seeing is real at all.  MtGox could be making up that market depth and even pricing data and trading against you, especially since there are so many noob traders in Bitcoin that trading via market depth seems to be the primary trading method of most Bitcoin traders.  The exchanges aren't safe to begin with - your broker should NOT also be your data provider (let alone broker, data provider, and exchange agency), add in no regulation or oversight and it's a real recipe for disaster.  Even if the exchanges were safe, trading market depth is suicide because it's simply too easily manipulated, even in real markets.

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
DrYe5

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 04:38:04 PM
Last edit: July 04, 2011, 07:51:23 PM by DrYe5

My advice: Try to catch the drop. Put small bids ~$1 below current trading and sell the bounce. Don't invest too much at that price because it could drop $10 when Mr. Big is done playing.
AyeYo

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 04:39:34 PM

"Prop 'n Drop"

All day, eeerrrr day.  With no one to stop you.  It's a manipulator's paradise.

SlipperySlope

Stephen Reed

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 06:01:38 PM

Even if the exchanges were safe, trading market depth is suicide because it's simply too easily manipulated, even in real markets.

I prefer the notion of conventional FOREX market to your use of real market. 

As many here know "painting the tape" by placing misleading buy and sell transactions, is illegal in regulated markets.  However, to the best of my knowledge, placing misleading open orders is not illegal, so long as those bluff orders are not actually filled to "paint the tape".

With today's HFT, i.e. high frequency trading techniques, and especially the ease with which algorithmic bots can be written for the Mt Gox trading API, its no surprise to see misleading open orders, that can be rapidly canceled - by say a bot, in advance of price movement in their direction. 

For example, a market gamer style bot could issue enough bluff bid orders to make it appear that there is a preponderance of inventory for sale.  Conventional technical analysis would suggest to the naive trader that prices should move lower to correct that inventory imbalance.  But the gamer bot simply wants to purchase a small lot of bitcoins are a lower price, then cancel the bluff orders below that price, and sell on the rebound back to the non-bluff inventory balance.

Would more active Mt Gox traders please respond as to whether Mt Gox currently has a dark pool available for open orders.  On another thread, someone said that all open orders currently on Mt Gox are visible.

DrYe5

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 07:05:28 PM

Would more active Mt Gox traders please respond as to whether Mt Gox currently has a dark pool available for open orders.  On another thread, someone said that all open orders currently on Mt Gox are visible.

Not all Gox orders are public. Not all trades are on Gox. Remember this started before Mt. Gox traded BTC. Most of the original adopters traded manually. It's safe to assume that the majority of the currency is in the hands of early adopters who have been holding mass quantities before bitcoin was worth anything. In terms of currency, they have tremendous power to inflate.

Compared to the present price, $3 might seem subpar. However, an early adopter with essentially zero cost trying to sell 50,000 BTC might see it as a good price if it means he doesn't have to crash the market.
SlipperySlope

Stephen Reed

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 08:20:59 PM

Not all Gox orders are public

Do you have any orders currently in the Mt Gox dark pool?  Or since trading resumed after the security problem?
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 08:30:08 PM

Not all Gox orders are public

Do you have any orders currently in the Mt Gox dark pool?  Or since trading resumed after the security problem?

I think dark pools are gone.  From my account I don't see any way of placing dark pool orders.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
dinzy

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 08:40:30 PM

Mt.Gox appears to not have dark pools anymore, unless they only invited a few special people to use them.  Before the crash any order over 1k could be done entirely or in part in the dark pool.  

If we believe that Mt.Gox is essentially honest, then the bogus bid/ask orders are likely the efforts of a team of traders with pooled resources because they involve 50k+ in USD.  I highly doubt any one person would risk having so much in Mt.Gox to begin with, but I could be wrong.  It just strikes me as a really good strategy to team up and move the market.
AyeYo

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 08:40:40 PM

Even if the exchanges were safe, trading market depth is suicide because it's simply too easily manipulated, even in real markets.

I prefer the notion of conventional FOREX market to your use of real market. 

As many here know "painting the tape" by placing misleading buy and sell transactions, is illegal in regulated markets.  However, to the best of my knowledge, placing misleading open orders is not illegal, so long as those bluff orders are not actually filled to "paint the tape".

With today's HFT, i.e. high frequency trading techniques, and especially the ease with which algorithmic bots can be written for the Mt Gox trading API, its no surprise to see misleading open orders, that can be rapidly canceled - by say a bot, in advance of price movement in their direction. 

For example, a market gamer style bot could issue enough bluff bid orders to make it appear that there is a preponderance of inventory for sale.  Conventional technical analysis would suggest to the naive trader that prices should move lower to correct that inventory imbalance.  But the gamer bot simply wants to purchase a small lot of bitcoins are a lower price, then cancel the bluff orders below that price, and sell on the rebound back to the non-bluff inventory balance.

That pretty much summed up the issues.

I agree, "real market" was the wrong expression.  MtGox is a very real market and people are getting raped out of very real money.  Non-conventional or unregulated market is a wiser choice of words.

dinzy

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 10:09:09 PM

I think someone just put in a sell order for 500 BTC at the highest bis and then put in a bid for 1000 BTc at that bid, then retracted it.  Either that or Mtgox live is displaying nonsense data.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 10:32:58 PM

Mt.Gox appears to not have dark pools anymore, unless they only invited a few special people to use them.  Before the crash any order over 1k could be done entirely or in part in the dark pool.  

If we believe that Mt.Gox is essentially honest, then the bogus bid/ask orders are likely the efforts of a team of traders with pooled resources because they involve 50k+ in USD.  I highly doubt any one person would risk having so much in Mt.Gox to begin with, but I could be wrong.  It just strikes me as a really good strategy to team up and move the market.

In the last few days the phantom bids have involved a lot more than $50k.  There have been single bids (which were conveniently removed) for more than $100k worth of bitcoins.  Of course, this isn't anything new.  Relatively wealthy MtGox users have been playing with the market using this sort of strategy for at least as long as I've been watching market activity, which has been since the end of April.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
dinzy

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 03:46:58 PM

It's a silly strategy.  They are only playing the market depth.  If they really wanted to play around they would actually buy and sell to move the market and benefit from the change.

Maybe they are just testing trading algorithms, or seeing what else is out there.  Basically add bids/asks to the system, collect data, retract bids/asks, analyze for patterns.  They still have a few weeks of 0 fees, so if this is the case, expect things to get a little crazy near the end of the grace period.
AyeYo

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 04:20:44 PM

It's a silly strategy.  They are only playing the market depth.  If they really wanted to play around they would actually buy and sell to move the market and benefit from the change.

Maybe they are just testing trading algorithms, or seeing what else is out there.  Basically add bids/asks to the system, collect data, retract bids/asks, analyze for patterns.  They still have a few weeks of 0 fees, so if this is the case, expect things to get a little crazy near the end of the grace period.

What makes you think they're not making money buy manipulating the market?  Sounds like a foolish assumption to me.

dinzy

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 09:40:28 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2011, 09:57:48 PM by dinzy

It's a silly strategy.  They are only playing the market depth.  If they really wanted to play around they would actually buy and sell to move the market and benefit from the change.

Maybe they are just testing trading algorithms, or seeing what else is out there.  Basically add bids/asks to the system, collect data, retract bids/asks, analyze for patterns.  They still have a few weeks of 0 fees, so if this is the case, expect things to get a little crazy near the end of the grace period.

What makes you think they're not making money buy manipulating the market?  Sounds like a foolish assumption to me.

It's not a foolish assumption.  When I see the shill walls, I do not see a whole lot of volume to accompany them and the price deltas have been tiny, hence any money they are making would be relatively small.  Maybe the strategy is just that, but it seems more like a test than anything else at this point.  If you were going to use a ton of money to move the market wouldn't you test your strategy in stages.  I would want to know that I could manipulate prices before I dumped 10s of thousands of dollars behind and I'd want to know what time of day/week is the best time to do these things.  

Also I think it is a bit arrogant of you to call someone's random "what ifs" foolish.  You must not come from a scientific background where brainstorming and throwing out ideas is an asset, not something to be shot down by some know it all prick.    Just saying.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: