Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:29:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which types of wallet better for bitcoin?  (Read 1740 times)
Yanisumin

Activity: 648
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 10:57:06 AM

Which types of wallet better for bitcoin? which wallet better for bitcoin secure

I'm using electrum for years and still using it now, but this is just by having some coins. Like them, I will recommend using Hardware wallet or paper wallet and put that paper where your rats can't reach because some rats ate a part of my seed last month so be careful.

Bitcoin Core is the best if you got around 200GB free space of hard drive to spare. It is most secure and helps the network.

I can't believe i just read that.
In which universe is bitcoin core the most secure wallet? - definetly not in this one.
Every desktop wallet contains the huge risk of being vulnerable to malware of any kind.
Whether if its malware which is directly aimed at this wallet, waiting for you to unlock it just to steal all of your coins, or
if its the 'every-day-'malware (steal clipboard, copy/paste virus, search for wallet files, ... ) which is going around in the wild for quite some time now.

A desktop wallet in a safe environment is fine when storing some coins.. but for anything which exceedes a multiple of the price of a hardware wallet
i wouln't trust any desktop wallet (or any (especially) windows pc).

For everydays use:
Mobile wallet / Desktop Wallet

For anything above X coins (replace x with the amount of coins you would not want to lose to a stupid script kiddy because of a windows or java exploit):
Hardware or Paper wallet
Hardware wallets cost about 60$+ but are pretty handy for everydays usage and Paper wallets are basically free but not that handy when spending funds from them.

I'm just wondering what is the tenacity of hardware wallets in terms of long term use. Even flash drives have a limited time. It would be scary if one day your trezor have some "hardware error"  Huh Huh Huh

If you are looking for a wallet on your PC, then Bitcoin Core is the best if you got around 200GB free space of hard drive to spare. It is most secure and helps the network.

If you don't use core, then they aren't your Bitcoins. It's the same as money deposited in a fiat bank.

If you don't want to tie up 200Gb, then run a pruned node. You lose a few functions, but save a lot of drive space. If you haven't got the drive space available, then use an external SSD.

Good line. I don't have enough knowledge on BTC core too, so that's it. I wonder if that core is consuming a lot of data, and what is the requirements of the PC to run that?
I'm willing to download this.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 03:12:32 PM

If you don't use core, then they aren't your Bitcoins. It's the same as money deposited in a fiat bank.

If you don't want to tie up 200Gb, then run a pruned node. You lose a few functions, but save a lot of drive space. If you haven't got the drive space available, then use an external SSD.

Good line. I don't have enough knowledge on BTC core too, so that's it. I wonder if that core is consuming a lot of data, and what is the requirements of the PC to run that?

It is a good line, very eye catching, but a bit incorrect Cheesy
As I said, you and only you still have full control of your coins when you are using Electrum and the drawback is not that big to be honest.
But it is a lot better to run Core for multiple reasons and security,privacy and helping the network is one of these.

Bitcoin Core takes few hundred MB of RAM and couple of tens of KB/s bandwith. The blockchain is around 170GB now, but it is always increasing so I would count around 200GB. However you can have a pruned node that can take as much as space as you define. It doesn't take much CPU power either and when it does it is usually small spikes every 10 minutes or so, when the new block comes.
It will just take some time to sync first time you start it as it needs to download and verify the entire blockchain. This is largely up to your CPU speed and it often take around a week.
bit247

Activity: 123
Merit: 10

bitcoin.org

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 07:17:31 PM

for longtime holding use trezor or ledger

BTCitcoin: 35DtMsEK1g1xVMKh4V7beAyguiU9qcHwtF  || ETH: Hacked Sad
crodbtc

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 07:46:33 PM

I've been looking into hardware wallets and I know I've had us sticks go bad before are any of these issues possible with a hardware wallet?
Yanisumin

Activity: 648
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 08:24:07 PM

It is a good line, very eye catching, but a bit incorrect Cheesy
As I said, you and only you still have full control of your coins when you are using Electrum and the drawback is not that big to be honest.
But it is a lot better to run Core for multiple reasons and security,privacy and helping the network is one of these.

Bitcoin Core takes few hundred MB of RAM and couple of tens of KB/s bandwith. The blockchain is around 170GB now, but it is always increasing so I would count around 200GB. However you can have a pruned node that can take as much as space as you define. It doesn't take much CPU power either and when it does it is usually small spikes every 10 minutes or so, when the new block comes.
It will just take some time to sync first time you start it as it needs to download and verify the entire blockchain. This is largely up to your CPU speed and it often take around a week.

So I need to have a midrange-high CPU in order to run this ? (i7-i3)? And my computer will run for about a week? (what if i turn off the computer will it continue to sync the from the end when I turned off the computer?) I have a lot to learn on this one (may be a I should build a new computer rig again and subscribe for a more stable internet connection).

By the way I did some research on the requirements of the computer in downloading BTC core :

Minimum Recommended
Disk space. 145 GB.
Download. 500 MB/day (15 GB/month)*
Upload. 5 GB/day (150 GB/month)
Memory (RAM) 1 GB.
System. Desktop. Laptop. Some ARM chipsets >1 GHz.
Operating system. Windows 7/8.x/10. Mac OS X. Linux.

source : https://bitcoin.org/en/bitcoin-core/features/requirements
The requirements are not that expensive but the data is another story.

And yes based from what I've heard you can have some viruses but if you will run it on windows your computer anti virus might affect the performance.
So i need to run some linux (I need to learn).

Thank you for your answer by the way. It helps.

bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2017, 10:41:34 AM

I'm just wondering what is the tenacity of hardware wallets in terms of long term use. Even flash drives have a limited time. It would be scary if one day your trezor have some "hardware error"  Huh Huh Huh

The crucial point is that you can use a hardware wallet for every day usage. It is pretty handy in accessing your coins and making transactions without
exposing your private keys. You can still sign transactions on an infected pc without your coins getting lost.
Standard flash drives can be written up to 1.000.000 times. Even if your usage exceeds this limit its still possible to just easily recover your coins from the
12/18/24 word seed phrase. And if you are performing this restoration also on a hardware wallet, your priv keys aren't exposed to theft anytime.
And this without any technical knowledge. So IMO hardware wallets do have quite some additional value.

Airdroptator

Activity: 56

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 10:47:28 AM

I use a ledger nano and am very happy with it Smiley

Didnt use any other so cant comment on them.
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 02:21:59 PM

So I need to have a midrange-high CPU in order to run this ? (i7-i3)? And my computer will run for about a week? (what if i turn off the computer will it continue to sync the from the end when I turned off the computer?) I have a lot to learn on this one (may be a I should build a new computer rig again and subscribe for a more stable internet connection).

By the way I did some research on the requirements of the computer in downloading BTC core :

Minimum Recommended
Disk space. 145 GB.
Download. 500 MB/day (15 GB/month)*
Upload. 5 GB/day (150 GB/month)
Memory (RAM) 1 GB.
System. Desktop. Laptop. Some ARM chipsets >1 GHz.
Operating system. Windows 7/8.x/10. Mac OS X. Linux.

source : https://bitcoin.org/en/bitcoin-core/features/requirements
The requirements are not that expensive but the data is another story.

And yes based from what I've heard you can have some viruses but if you will run it on windows your computer anti virus might affect the performance.
So i need to run some linux (I need to learn).

Thank you for your answer by the way. It helps.

Disk requirements are wrong there. Blockchain has increased since then. I wouldn't even bother without 200GB.

You don't need a good CPU, the most basic one that could run fine a decade ago for most common tasks would be sufficient.
It just might take a bit longer to do the initial sync. The requirements are most basic, you pretty much just need a normal PC, even an old one will do, as long as it wasn't from more the 10 years ago, I guess.

Running Windows is a whole other story that I can't help you with, as I haven't run Windows in years and never used it for Bitcoin.
You can install Ubuntu and you will see that it is nothing difficult, just a different Desktop, but using a command line would give you amazing powers that you could never have on Windows and it is very basic to use it as well.
You have plenty of tutorials on how to install Bitcoin Core on Ubuntu as well as do any other basic operations. You will not have a problem setting it up, I am sure.

You can stop Bitcoin Core at any time during an initial sync or not and it will normally continue once you turn it back on.
hopeAo

Activity: 42
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 08:10:12 AM

Which types of wallet better for bitcoin? which wallet better for bitcoin secure

Bitcoin wallet can be classified into 2 namely:
1.   Hot Wallet
2.   Cold Wallet
HOT WALLET
 Is a wallet that is connected to the internet or that is online. A hot wallet can be accessed from anywhere in the world and from most internet enabled devices. For this reason, a hot wallet is susceptible to attack from hackers if it is not well secured. Maximum security on your Bitcoin can only be attained using a cold wallet.

Types of Hot wallet include:

Online Wallet or Web Wallet
This is the most common type of Bitcoin wallet. Just like the name implies, web wallets are hosted in the cloud by a third-party company. It has an advantage of being able to be accessed from location and from any web browser on most Internet-enabled devices. Examples of companies that provide web wallets include. Coinbase, Luno, Blockcahin.info etc.

Mobile Wallet
A mobile wallet is a wallet that comes as an application installed on our mobile devices, mainly Android, iOS and Blackberry. Most web wallet provided has a mobile wallet app which is synced to the online wallet.

Desktop wallet
Just like the mobile wallet above, desktop wallets are wallet application downloaded and installed on a personal computer or laptop.They are easy to use and available for the different operating system. Examples of desktop wallet include Amory and mSIGNA.

COLD WALLET

It is a wallet that is not connected to the internet and it is usually on a device or a paper. A cold wallet is the safest form of Bitcoin wallets. It is almost impossible to hack a cold wallet. The hacker would have to get hold of your device and your passkey to access your cold wallet which in this case would be a human error.
The idea is, for long-term storage, store your bitcoin in a cold wallet.
Also, Hot wallets are usually free while Cold wallets may cost to purchase the device.

Types of Cold wallet include:

Paper Wallet
The paper wallet is inform of paper which contain two things which are the public address to received bitcoin and private key to gain access to bitcoin and spend it. One of the advantages of the paper wallet is that it is not prone to attack from hackers since it is offline.

Hardware wallet
The hardware wallet is one the safest and convenient type of bitcoin wallet. It is advised that anyone having bitcoin for storage in excess of $1,000 in worth should have a hardware wallet. Hardware wallet comes in form of a USD stick. You simply plug it in your computer to access and send Your Bitcoins. The hardware wallet does not need to be plugged into a computer to receive Bitcoins.

So to choose the best wallet depends on the rate of transaction, size of transaction, Cryptocurrency exchange and storage.
•   Small and frequent transactions: Online wallets or Software wallets
•   Cryptocurrency exchange: Online wallet (but only the amount that you play with)
•   Occassional big transactions: Hardware wallet
•   Storage only: Hardware wallet or paper wallet

Thank you for sharing detail information about Bitcoin wallet. Really appreciate

you are welcome
MisterPrada

Activity: 179
Merit: 106

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 07:23:36 AM

i use electrum, because it uses servers that index the Bitcoin blockchain. No Lock-In. You can export your private keys and use them in other Bitcoin clients. No Downtimes
Slash61

Activity: 633
Merit: 14

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 08:04:51 AM

I think it's better to use mycellium bag, because mycellium wallet is a bitcoin mobile wallet that was awarded as "Best Mobile Application" from Blockchain. there are many other safe wallets but it all back again to the personal wants to use which wallet, but I suggest you to wear mycellium wallet.

syberwolfen

Activity: 790
Merit: 261

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 09:35:43 PM

i use electrum, because it uses servers that index the Bitcoin blockchain. No Lock-In. You can export your private keys and use them in other Bitcoin clients. No Downtimes

I have heard a lot about electrum and got suggestions from fellow bitcoin users that electrum is really good but I have always used coinbase and will be using coinbase itself due to the simple and secure features of coinbase which is a user friendly wallet and you can easily retrieve your credentials unless like other wallets where it becomes almost impossible to retain the credentials if you forget that. Coinbase is the best wallet for me.

Am I spamming? Report me!
Fair Light

Activity: 7

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 03:55:37 AM

LNS for offline EXO for online!
Supriya Mahale

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 10:23:11 AM

Considering worth and volatility of bitcoin its security should be factor to consider while storing bitcoin. 
 Who will be best person to answer this question will be?  Of course one who have in depth knowledge of blockchain.   I had this question  in mind for my own bitcoin and I asked one of my friend working at blockchainerz This is what he recommended: 

1. Who understand its product better? - creator right ?  likewise for cryptocurrency wallet provided by cryptocurrency itself is best.  So always go for bitcoin's core wallet.
2. There is issue Its not that much handy? -  No problem for transaction purpose you can transfer small amount whatever needed to your favorite 3rd party wallet get things done and restore back.
3. 3rd Party wallet is smooth and secure then why go back to core wallet? - Most of 3rd party wallets generated over exchanger's and  trading platforms don't provide you private key. That's only thing which makes you owner of coin stored on that wallet.  So avoid them as they are true owner of your coin if you are using it.

I hope you got all details and recommendation , please let me know if anything needed
rexter

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 02:44:08 AM

For me Bitcoin core is the secure wallet i have use,i am using this since i start her in cryptocurrency so far i've never encountered any issue about scam and hacked,but i am still exploring of any secure wallet than can be use alternate besides from Bitcoin core.
pratik009

Activity: 365
Merit: 108

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 03:37:39 AM
Last edit: December 14, 2017, 03:49:32 AM by pratik009

Thee are many types of wallet like mobile wallets,desktop wallets, paper wallets and hardware wallet etc.mobile wallets are use as application in mobilephones.if you want to use this type of wallet then i suggest you to zabpay and coinbase beacause both are very good and i personally use it.there are many types of desktop wallet but i suggest you to use Myetherwallet.com beacause you can also store any types of token into it.If we talk about the paper wallet then it has one public key for receive btc.And the safest wallet is hardware wallet beacause it's offline wallet so anyone can't hack it.if you have more btc and you need high security then i suggest you to use hardware wallet.
muddychowder

Activity: 9

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 02:24:45 PM

There are multiple wallets you can use for Bitcoin. However, it is better to keep an offline wallet in order for you to secure your Bitcoin or stash better and easier.
bL4nkcode
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 03:45:05 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2018, 02:53:37 AM by bL4nkcode

For me Bitcoin core is the secure wallet i have use,i am using this since i start her in cryptocurrency so far i've never encountered any issue about scam and hacked,but i am still exploring of any secure wallet than can be use alternate besides from Bitcoin core.
Just make sure that those people who want to use core have a large storage it will eat your storage day by day. And as a desktop app your PC can be infected with malware so this is not theat 100% safe wallet but a hardware wallet instead. Which you can use it whether a PC is infected or not. Just make sure that you're the only one knows the recovery phrases so yoi're fully secured.
bitcoinisbest

Activity: 1218
Merit: 557

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 05:12:04 PM

There are multiple wallets you can use for Bitcoin. However, it is better to keep an offline wallet in order for you to secure your Bitcoin or stash better and easier.

I also prefer to store it offline when you have the huge number of btc. If its small number and you require it frequently then its fine to store under different wallets online. But if you are a long term investor then better to save it offline and ensure only the trusted person is known about it so that in case you are not there the other person can make use of it.
Crypto-2X

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

Crypto is everything!!

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 09:42:24 PM

It is better and more secure if you can use the paper wallets. Actually it is more lazy thing to do.
So 2nd way, a hardware wallets is best option now a days. It is combine with technology and easy to use. So I recommend you to use a hardware wallet.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: