Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:59:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: serious hardware issue efffecting my BTC wallet and retrieving my seg coins!!  (Read 208 times)
Crypto Prophet 2017 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 02:15:16 PM

greets people,  here it is in a nutshell

I have a btc core wallet 64x and it needs updating via warning msg as its from 2015.
wallet is 137 weeks behind sync with chain,  HERES THE ISSUE:
the machine my wallet is on is suffering a integrated into motherboard gpu chip overheat thermal shutdown issue. it is faulty and causing thermal shutdowns as it overheats before my wallet will sync the last 137 weeks.
what I want to know is how or if I can get my seg coins btc cash, gold and I think now diamond also if I move my btc off bad box and then sync the bad wallet....
while trying to sync my doge wallet thermal shutdown lost my coins while sync.

do my coins need to stay on this wallet with this key do full sync before I can get my other coins?   

if I move them to a hardware or other btc wallet will it still alot me my coin match?  it seems I need to try and pray for luck my wallet syncs before my hardware overheats due to the bad gpu...  I hope I explained clear.  I hate to even think of losing all my btc over a bad gpu...if I didn't need to get my matched new cash and gold coins it would be a non issue  how should I proceed

thanks in advance Dave

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:21:11 PM

greets people,  here it is in a nutshell

I have a btc core wallet 64x and it needs updating via warning msg as its from 2015.
wallet is 137 weeks behind sync with chain,  HERES THE ISSUE:
the machine my wallet is on is suffering a integrated into motherboard gpu chip overheat thermal shutdown issue. it is faulty and causing thermal shutdowns as it overheats before my wallet will sync the last 137 weeks.
what I want to know is how or if I can get my seg coins btc cash, gold and I think now diamond also if I move my btc off bad box and then sync the bad wallet....
while trying to sync my doge wallet thermal shutdown lost my coins while sync.

do my coins need to stay on this wallet with this key do full sync before I can get my other coins?   

if I move them to a hardware or other btc wallet will it still alot me my coin match?  it seems I need to try and pray for luck my wallet syncs before my hardware overheats due to the bad gpu...  I hope I explained clear.  I hate to even think of losing all my btc over a bad gpu...if I didn't need to get my matched new cash and gold coins it would be a non issue  how should I proceed

thanks in advance Dave

If you had the bitcoins there at the time the snapshot for said for was recorded, you simply need to export your private key out of your bitcoin core wallet, and put it into a software wallet such as electrumcash ( if you want to redeem bitcoincash for example)

There's dozens of guides on how to get your private key out of bitcoin core, so simply google that, or open the console in bitcoin core and do:

Code:
walletpassphrase "your walletpassphrase here" 600
dumpprivkey [your Bitcoin address here]

NOTE You only need the private keys of the adresses that had bitcoin at the time the fork occured.

Make sure you import the private key into the real wallet, always check the signatures.

bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2017, 05:38:15 PM

Make sure you import the private key into the real wallet, always check the signatures.

This step is giving you more safety when sweeping your private keys, but i wouln't fully trust on that.
Github repositories get 'hacked' a lot lately and since hashes are often posted there too.. thats not always helping.

I would add a few extra steps into retrieving your coins.
After you dumped the private keys out of your core wallet you should first make sure the PC you are going to insert the priv keys to is not compromised.
Don't completely rely on AV software. Its not hard to sidestep these AV's.
If you are storing big amounts i would recommend to import the priv keys into an offline linux machine. Create/sign a transaction to your new (safe) address
and move to an online pc to push the TX. That way you can be sure no stinky malware is waiting for your private keys to appear in the clipboard/ram/... .

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: