Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:14:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you add your physical location to your payment address?  (Read 818 times)
roadmarket (OP)

Activity: 169
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2017, 03:16:27 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2019, 04:27:51 AM by roadmarket

Would you add your physical location to your payment address? What if that helps make bitcoin more legal and gain mass acceptance?

Sukhbir Benipal

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stianyd

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:33:13 PM

I guess i would add my location if i had nothing to hide.
As an example, if i was a store or a local business, that would just be added publicity for free. right.
Same for a user buying coffee or a sandwich. If i am already sharing my location on instagram, snapchat, why do i care that someone saw me pay for my sandwich with bitcoin.
Renr

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:33:42 PM

crypto currency being non traceable and all
Usine

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:34:03 PM

As an example, if i was a store or a local business, that would just be added publicity for free. right.
Same for a user buying coffee or a sandwich. If i am already sharing my location on instagram, snapchat, why do i care that someone saw me pay for my sandwich with bitcoin.
You are badly misinformed
Kesecer

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:34:23 PM

yea, i know. just sayin' to get the conversation started. That's why i mentioned the "whole idea of"
Amial

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:34:51 PM

yea, i know. just sayin' to get the conversation started. That's why i mentioned the "whole idea of"

Well, it defeats the purpose, I wouldn't do it, we already live in a surveillance state, a worldwide one.
Bamel

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:36:03 PM

Well, it defeats the purpose, I wouldn't do it, we already live in a surveillance state, a worldwide one.

but wouldn't the fact that you could use bitcoin or whatever at your local stores and shops just like regular currency be a pretty good argument otherwise?
Rludd

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:37:30 PM

but wouldn't the fact that you could use bitcoin or whatever at your local stores and shops just like regular currency be a pretty good argument otherwise?

An good argument for what? im not tagging my bitcoin wallet addresses with my physical address, wtf
Aneelal

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:38:09 PM

An good argument for what? im not tagging my bitcoin wallet addresses with my physical address, wtf

i would. maybe i'm just looking at this whole situation differently.
Giric

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:39:25 PM

Are you stupid?
Stianyd

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:40:01 PM

Are you stupid?

no. if you want some form of legal adoption, you would need to make sure that majority usage is legal. right.
Renr

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:40:22 PM

Are you stupid?

no. if you want some form of legal adoption, you would need to make sure that majority usage is legal. right.

Why would BTC usage be illegal without your street address/other personal info being tacked on?
Usine

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:41:23 PM

Are you stupid?

Why would BTC usage be illegal without your street address/other personal info being tacked on?

as of now it's sort of in a grey zone the world over. neither legal, nor having been declared explicitly illegal / banned. At your own Risk kinda thing.
I mean, if you went to the cops and told them someone robbed you of your BTC, they would just look you up and down.
Opquar

Activity: 385
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:43:02 PM

No freaking way. Doing this would be putting a giant target on your back. You received 5 bitcoins? Let me check your physical address real quick so I could mug you. Yeah, no. Never going to happen.
roadmarket (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2017, 03:44:01 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2019, 04:28:16 AM by roadmarket

yea. but the fact that you can have multiple addresses. so you would use one just for your day to day sales and purchases.

Sukhbir Benipal
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:47:01 PM

Would you add your physical location to your payment address? What if that helps make bitcoin more legal and gain mass acceptance?

Sukhbir Benipal
https://benipaltechnologies.com/Benipal.html

There may be a use case for what you're talking about, but I don't see it useful to be added to the protocol, maybe in a third party service, like Coinbase.

roadmarket (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2017, 03:50:46 PM

the reason i am starting this thread is because i believe in this. truly.i am putting my full and complete information out there in order that others may see my point of view.
My android app is live on Google Play Store at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.benipal.road

I wrote a vision statement on the play store description that talks more about how i view this. My only issue is that moving forward bitcoin might not be the currency i end up using, because of the low transaction volume allowed by design. Perhaps something tracking the main index.

BingoDog

Activity: 658
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:56:42 PM

In this situation when bitcoin is not regulated and in some countries is more illegal than legal but general in some grey zone I don't think how clever this could be. I don't think that information like this could lead to biger adoption. Location itself without other data doesn't mean anything.
But I disagree that bitcoin is not traceable. Bitcoin has lost quite a part of anonimity and today there are some techniques and methods to identify the user.

malaj
roadmarket (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2017, 03:58:44 PM

traceable, yes. but takes substantial effort.

my thought is that by making everyday sales and transactions public, say for example, buying coffee or a sandwich, merchants and stores feel more comfortable in accepting it. and that leads to lower volatility.
drunkcoin

Activity: 70

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 04:02:58 PM

No way. What's the point? Crypto is popular also due to its anonymity.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: