Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:44:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to access my Bitcoin Cash BCH  (Read 221 times)
DutchNed (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 04:40:35 PM

With the help of some members on this forum I was able to retrieve my bitcoins, simply by entering the keys manually in Electrum. I can now send and receive bitcoins. I cashed in some of it and will keep using Electrum as a kind of savings account.
While I was entering the keys in Electrum I got the warning that imported keys could not be recovered using the seed.

After the fork of August 1 I also have a nice amount of BitcoinCash BCH. Is it possible to use a program like Jaxx or Electron Cash on another computer so I can use it for daily transactions? I don' t want to make a stupid mistake and lose all my bitcoin in the process.

I found a video on Youtube explaining how you could use the seed of Electrum and import it into Electron Cash to claim your BCH. But in my case that will not work: the key was not generated by Electrum but by Multibit years ago.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to solve this problem? I would appreciate it very much. Maybe there is another way I can access my BCH.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 04:53:14 PM

With the help of some members on this forum I was able to retrieve my bitcoins, simply by entering the keys manually in Electrum. I can now send and receive bitcoins. I cashed in some of it and will keep using Electrum as a kind of savings account.
While I was entering the keys in Electrum I got the warning that imported keys could not be recovered using the seed.

After the fork of August 1 I also have a nice amount of BitcoinCash BCH. Is it possible to use a program like Jaxx or Electron Cash on another computer so I can use it for daily transactions? I don' t want to make a stupid mistake and lose all my bitcoin in the process.

I found a video on Youtube explaining how you could use the seed of Electrum and import it into Electron Cash to claim your BCH. But in my case that will not work: the key was not generated by Electrum but by Multibit years ago.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to solve this problem? I would appreciate it very much. Maybe there is another way I can access my BCH.

Why would it not work? Have you tried it yet? Private keys are ALL derivated in the same way, so it wouldn't matter if it is created in a wallet X 10 years ago, or in wallet Y 10 minutes ago.

Do make sure you're using the right electron cash, and that you're not running a scam wallet, (check the signatures of your download etc.) Otherwise all of your bitcoin cash AND bitcoin might be lost.

apoorvlathey

Activity: 1162
Merit: 547

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2017, 05:01:57 PM

To securely get your BCash, I recommend you to follow this:
1. Create a new BTC Wallet, let's name it {B}.
2. Transfer all your bitcoins from your current btc wallet (let's name it [A]) to the newly generated btc wallet {B} (so that nothing goes wrong). (Only the bitcoins associated would transfer, the BCH would remain there.)
3. Install Electron cash, preferably on pc other than your primary pc with btc electrum wallet.
4. Use your seed from [A] in electron cash. The wallet should show your BCH.
5. You can send the BCH to an exchange from electron cash and get BTC in your new Wallet {B} instead.

DutchNed (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 05:10:41 PM

Why would it not work? Have you tried it yet? Private keys are ALL derivated in the same way, so it wouldn't matter if it is created in a wallet X 10 years ago, or in wallet Y 10 minutes ago.

Do make sure you're using the right electron cash, and that you're not running a scam wallet, (check the signatures of your download etc.) Otherwise all of your bitcoin cash AND bitcoin might be lost.
Thanks AdolfinWolf. No, I have not tried it yet. I made some stupid mistakes in the past and almost lost my bitcoin. That is why I want to make sure I don't make a similar mistake again.
The keys were generated with Multibit long ago. When I recently entered the keys into Electrum it gave me the message: Warning, imported keys can not be recovered using the seed!  That gave me the idea that the keys must be generated by, and somehow connected to, Multibit. And when I would enter the seed into Electron Cash, it would not see the imported keys. Does my reasoning make sense?

I could simply try it, if you think nothing bad will happen. I hope you understand why I am being very careful here, I got my bitcoin back and don' t want to jeopardise that again. Wink Is Electron Cash dedicated to Bitcoin Cash only? Can it in no way interfere with my bitcoin BTC?
apoorvlathey

Activity: 1162
Merit: 547

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2017, 05:22:57 PM

Thanks AdolfinWolf. No, I have not tried it yet. I made some stupid mistakes in the past and almost lost my bitcoin. That is why I want to make sure I don't make a similar mistake again.
The keys were generated with Multibit long ago. When I recently entered the keys into Electrum it gave me the message: Warning, imported keys can not be recovered using the seed!  That gave me the idea that the keys must be generated by, and somehow connected to, Multibit. And when I would enter the seed into Electron Cash, it would not see the imported keys. Does my reasoning make sense?

I could simply try it, if you think nothing bad will happen. I hope you understand why I am being very careful here, I got my bitcoin back and don' t want to jeopardise that again. Wink Is Electron Cash dedicated to Bitcoin Cash only? Can it in no way interfere with my bitcoin BTC?
If the seed was generated in MultiBit, then you need to import your BTC wallet using the seed in MultiBit. There you would get a list of all your addresses. You may then copy the Private keys of all the addresses with balances and use Electron Cash to import in a new wallet to claim your BCH.

If the developers of electron cash have malicious intent then they may get your btc from your private keys because it is NOT the official wallet by Electrum !
So I recommend you to transfer your btc to a new address, just to be on a safer side.

DutchNed (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 05:31:10 PM

That sounds like a good idea, why did I not think of that myself.  Embarrassed I still don't think the seed will show imported keys in Electron cash (why else would it have given me that warning) but at least I could try. Thanks!

But it would be a bit of a logistical nightmare. Could I not simply enter the keys into Electron Cash just like I did in Electrum, or is that not possible? I have both my public and private keys.
DutchNed (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 05:49:52 PM

If the developers of electron cash have malicious intent then they may get your btc from your private keys because it is NOT the official wallet by Electrum !
So I recommend you to transfer your btc to a new address, just to be on a safer side.
Thanks for the warning, I will be careful. Another option that crossed my mind. Cashing in everything and put it on my bank account. I already had an amount transferred in batches of a few hundred dollar into my bank account, it is a local trader who takes a very small profit margin.

But the BTC is doing very well at the moment, maybe I should wait a while. The BCH is only a fraction of that and it is not going anywhere, maybe I should try to claim it later. In this case greed can be bad.
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 07:02:37 PM

That sounds like a good idea, why did I not think of that myself.  Embarrassed I still don't think the seed will show imported keys in Electron cash (why else would it have given me that warning) but at least I could try. Thanks!

But it would be a bit of a logistical nightmare. Could I not simply enter the keys into Electron Cash just like I did in Electrum, or is that not possible? I have both my public and private keys.

Yes, you will only need a private key on which you had your bitcoin balance at the moment of the fork, and simply import that into Electron Cash, it should work.

Note that you will only see the bitcoin cash balance of said adress that belongs to the private key ( unless it is a MPK), and that you'll need to import change adresses etcetera manually aswell.

If the seed was generated in MultiBit, then you need to import your BTC wallet using the seed in MultiBit. There you would get a list of all your addresses. You may then copy the Private keys of all the addresses with balances and use Electron Cash to import in a new wallet to claim your BCH.

That won't work because the seed derivation method used by Multibit is different then the one Electrum uses. ( Correct me if i'm wrong)

So yes, your reasong does kind of make sense. You will either need to use something like this, https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/53419/how-do-i-import-a-multibit-hd-wallet-with-seeds-into-electrum, which is a lot of hassle without alot of reasoning, in my opinion.

or simply just import the private keys..

DutchNed (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 10:42:31 PM

Just to clear up the Multibit part: there was no seed back then. I can't remember which version but not HD. You simply installed it and that was it. It came with it's first address installed and you could add more if needed.

Thank you both for the information and suggestions, I really appreciate it. A newbie like me needs some help and it is great to have a platform like this with people who have a lot of experience. Unfortunately I have no friends or relatives who own bitcoin but they are getting mighty interested now.

For now it might be best to wait and see how BTC develops, it has been doing great for the last couple of days. And at some point it might be best to cash in completely, then try to get to the BCH and after that start a completely new BTC wallet with new address . On a brand new laptop thanks to bitcoin. Wink
strickland

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 07:10:42 AM

Did you cash the coins out yet? It's better to do it now because it looks like the price is dropping.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
DutchNed (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 06:59:21 AM

Did you cash the coins out yet? It's better to do it now because it looks like the price is dropping
No I did not. If I use a wallet like electron I take a risk of a third party getting hold of my keys and I don' t want to risk that. It's less than 10% of the value in BTC and since BTC is rising 6-7% on average per day it makes more sense simply waiting a day or two. All those forks will end in disaster anyway. Not worth the hassle. But I appreciate your warning. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: