Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:04:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Friend bought .5 of a bitcoin in 2013 and can't access it today  (Read 346 times)
joec99 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 06:05:52 PM
Last edit: December 06, 2017, 06:33:19 PM by joec99

Hello

I am trying to help out a friend who bought some bitcoin a while ago and has vague records and recollection of the details of the transaction.

She has a printed piece of paper saying her wallet is with strongcoin, but when she accesses it, it says her balance is 0. Strongcoin also gives her a sheet of paper with her public address, private key encrypted and checksum. On the same paper file it seems to suggest that her bitcoin is now at multibit.com. She also seems to have a private key which corresponds to the  multibit account. As multibit is no longer supported, I suggested for her to use Electrum to open up a wallet using that private key from multibit, but this doesn't seem to work as the 'Next' button in Electrum doesn't illuminate on pasting that private key.

Does anyone know how she might be able to access her bitcoin?

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 06:15:00 PM

Hello

I am trying to help out a friend who bought some bitcoin a while ago and has vague records and recollection of the details of the transaction.

Does he have a wallet? Did he use an online wallet?  Did he buy using a credit card? Bank account?  Does he have any more info? What records?
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 06:19:46 PM

I'm trying to do the same for my mother...is there any way to find it with social security number or any other personal information. IT was purchased between 2006 and 2008 Thank you

No, nothing like that.  And if it was purchased between 2006 and 2008, it wasn’t bitcoin - the first block was mined in Jan 2009.
kahc

Activity: 350
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 06:37:57 PM

Hello

She has a printed piece of paper saying her wallet is with strongcoin, but when she accesses it, it says her balance is 0. Strongcoin also gives her a sheet of paper with her public address, private key encrypted and checksum. On the same paper file it seems to suggest that her bitcoin is now at multibit.com. She also seems to have a private key which corresponds to the  multibit account. As multibit is no longer supported, I suggested for her to use Electrum to open up a wallet using that private key from multibit, but this doesn't seem to work as the 'Next' button in Electrum doesn't illuminate on pasting that private key.

Thanks

Are you saying she has a encrypted version of the private key?
What is the first character of her private key, and how many characters are there total?
LegionCoin

Activity: 32

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 06:53:19 PM

Hello

She has a printed piece of paper saying her wallet is with strongcoin, but when she accesses it, it says her balance is 0. Strongcoin also gives her a sheet of paper with her public address, private key encrypted and checksum. On the same paper file it seems to suggest that her bitcoin is now at multibit.com. She also seems to have a private key which corresponds to the  multibit account. As multibit is no longer supported, I suggested for her to use Electrum to open up a wallet using that private key from multibit, but this doesn't seem to work as the 'Next' button in Electrum doesn't illuminate on pasting that private key.

Thanks
You can try more by using mail or other can backup
joec99 (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 06:54:47 PM

First character U, total of 108 characters. The other private key she has has first character 5, 51 characters.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 06:59:53 PM

First character U, total of 108 characters. The other private key she has has first character 5, 51 characters.
The "5, 51 characters" is most likely a Private Key WIF.
You can go to bitaddress.org, better yet download that website to your computer and go offline.
Then click on "Wallet Details" and insert the Key into the textbox.
It'll convert it into all common formats for private keys.
You can then import the private key into a wallet of your choice, e.g. Electrum.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
joec99 (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 07:16:08 PM

You can go to bitaddress.org, better yet download that website to your computer and go offline.
You can then import the private key into a wallet of your choice, e.g. Electrum.

I have tried importing the private key to electrum, but the balance remains at zero.
Madena

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 07:38:24 PM

Thanks...yeah she mistold me the date and it was 2011...I guess We will have to go through her old computers....her yahoo account used to go back to 2008 but now for whatever reason today it only goes back to 2014. fingers crossed it's on the old computer... thanks for the help
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 08:07:18 PM

I have tried importing the private key to electrum, but the balance remains at zero.
That means there's nothing on it.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
kahc

Activity: 350
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 08:14:42 PM

What is the public address(that public address that she wrote down on a sheet of paper)?
If she previously bought BTC and now the balance is 0, it should show some transactions.
You can check the balance on blockchain.info
timisis

Activity: 178
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 02:54:00 AM

Exactly, you should check the transactions first of all on the blockchain, if there is nothing there recovering the key will do you no good!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: