Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:03:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Testnet blockchain  (Read 292 times)
cellard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 06:08:43 PM

Im trying to do some tests to learn how to use raw transactions and other command lines. Since im scared to do this with real coins, I would like to use the testnet. I've never used it before. It looks like you just have to open the testnet shortcut and it will open. My questions are:

1) Does it keep the data folder separated from the real blockchain I guess? Do I get prompted when I first open it for the first time where to put the testnet blockchain?
2) Is there any way to download this faster from a torrent or something? Since its just testnet coins I don't really care that much about it so I would be willing to download it from somewhere faster that the client then just validate it.
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2017, 09:16:09 PM

If you just want to test some stuff out you don't really need to download the whole blockchain.
Theoretically you don't even have to download any blockchain.
For such purposes you can use bitcoin testnet box (https://github.com/freewil/bitcoin-testnet-box).
It will create a private btc network on your pc with 2 nodes being connected to each other.
Additionally you don't have to wait for any blocks to be mined, since you can easily just generate new blocks with "make generate"-command.
Or you can use the regtest mode which also creates a private blockchain with the same rules as testnet (and block-generating-feature).

aplistir

Activity: 378
Merit: 197

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 10:33:36 PM

Im trying to do some tests to learn how to use raw transactions and other command lines. Since im scared to do this with real coins, I would like to use the testnet. I've never used it before. It looks like you just have to open the testnet shortcut and it will open. My questions are:

1) Does it keep the data folder separated from the real blockchain I guess? Do I get prompted when I first open it for the first time where to put the testnet blockchain?
2) Is there any way to download this faster from a torrent or something? Since its just testnet coins I don't really care that much about it so I would be willing to download it from somewhere faster that the client then just validate it.

You do not have to use the bitcoin core, which needs to download the blockchain.

For example I use Copay (both in android phone and desktop), which supports testnet, and doesn't need to download anything.

If you want to manually create your transactions then you can just use https://live.blockcypher.com/btc-testnet/pushtx/ to broadcast them.

My Address: 121f7zb2U4g9iM4MiJTDhEzqeZGHzq5wLh
cellard (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 11:55:25 PM

You do not have to use the bitcoin core, which needs to download the blockchain.

For example I use Copay (both in android phone and desktop), which supports testnet, and doesn't need to download anything.

If you want to manually create your transactions then you can just use https://live.blockcypher.com/btc-testnet/pushtx/ to broadcast them.

I need to use Bitcoin Core because I want to practice with Bitcoin Core's command line because I want to learn how to do rawtransactions and other cvars, so I just can't use any other software, it must be Core.

Anyone knows how big the testnet blockchain is? I've heard it's like 7 GB which is not that much, maybe I will give it a try with the actual client.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2017, 07:05:40 AM

I need to use Bitcoin Core because I want to practice with Bitcoin Core's command line because I want to learn how to do rawtransactions and other cvars, so I just can't use any other software, it must be Core.

Are you able to read? Do you know how to use google?
Just read my Post:

Or you can use the regtest mode which also creates a private blockchain with the same rules as testnet (and block-generating-feature).

cellard (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:58:32 PM

Are you able to read? Do you know how to use google?
Just read my Post:

Regtest is useless for my goal, it would only be useful if I didn't need 2 laptops, but I want to create a realistic scenario with my 2 laptops, so I can do the entire thing exactly as it would in a real situation, can't do that with regtest mode so I will need to download the testnet blockchain, it's not that big anyway.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: