Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 06:11:48 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PPS vs PPLNS for GPU Mining  (Read 2234 times)
leeman24 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 03:45:17 PM

Hello, I am new to mining and this forum.

I'd like to know the better option for mining. Basically I am doing casual GPU mining at a rate of roughly 600 MH/s with probably an additional 330 MH/s with the Erupter. Please don't state that buying the Erupter is a bad purchase because it was already bought LOL. I am trying to run this pretty consistently but like to stop it while I use the PC for regular use and gaming. The fans really bug me.

Anyways, I am using bfgminer with set temperatures to rest resulting in one GPU to rest quite often (not sure if this is relevant).

I know the basic difference between PPS and PPLNS but am wondering which would be a better option for my use.

BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:22:18 PM

There are really to many unknowns for a definite answer, e.g. what pool are you using and what are the fees charged for PPS and PPLNS, what will the average luck of the pool be in the future.  Then really is no solid better answer.  Having said that, it really won't make any significant difference which you decide to use since you only have ~900Mh/s.

cowanjeffrey93

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:27:43 PM

GPU mining is no different then scrypt mining, right?
leeman24 (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:39:40 PM

Thanks BookLover. Appreciate the answer.

Quick follow up question, i'm using BTCGuild, any better recommendation for a casual miner and why?
meekstav876

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:47:10 PM

I'd like to know the better option for mining. Basically I am doing casual GPU mining at a rate of roughly 600 MH/s with probably an additional 330 MH/s with the Erupter. Please don't state that buying the Erupter is a bad purchase because it was already bought LOL. I am trying to run this pretty consistently but like to stop it while I use the PC for regular use and gaming. The fans really bug me.

Anyways, I am using bfgminer with set temperatures to rest resulting in one GPU to rest quite often (not sure if this is relevant).

I know the basic difference between PPS and PPLNS but am wondering which would be a better option for my use.

Thank you brother freind
leeman24 (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:54:01 PM

Thank you brother freind

lol what?
Damnsammit

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 05:10:15 PM

I'd point the GPUs to LTC/FTC/CAP and just mine BTC with the USB.

You can exchange LTC/FTC/CAP on Cryptsy for BTC and you will end up with a larger return that way.

leeman24 (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 06:36:43 PM

You can exchange LTC/FTC/CAP on Cryptsy for BTC and you will end up with a larger return that way.

Thanks. I actually was considering doing LiteCoin with my GPUs because of some articles I read.

I assume LTC = LiteCoin, FTC  = FeatherCoin, CAP = Huh. Which of the three would you recommend?
Damnsammit

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 06:57:33 PM

CAP = BottleCaps... they are new.  I'm mining them right now because they are just as profitable (if not moreso) than LTC and FTC at the moment... and I'm a Fallout franchise junkie Tongue

All three are relatively the same, but you can go to this site and it will give you a breakdown.  Not sure how accurate it all is, but from my own experience, CAP > FTC > LTC right now.  That could change.

http://dustcoin.com/

With my rig, I get around 1 LTC or 40 FTC or 200 CAP a day.

Per Cryptsy.com
1 LTC = 0.03448900 BTC
1 FTC = 0.00096998 BTC * 40 = 0.0387992 BTC
1 CAP = 0.00017443* BTC * 200 = 0.034886 BTC

* this was at 0.0002 earlier today and is volatile... FTC and LTC are more stable as CAP is about 2 weeks old.

Conversely, I can mine ~0.015 BTC a day... so it's definitely more worth it to mine alt-coins and trade them for BTC if you aren't mining with an ASIC.

Thanks. I actually was considering doing LiteCoin with my GPUs because of some articles I read.

I assume LTC = LiteCoin, FTC  = FeatherCoin, CAP = Huh. Which of the three would you recommend?
payme4work24

Activity: 19

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 07:03:35 PM

Very very cool!
leeman24 (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 07:08:11 PM

CAP = BottleCaps... they are new.  I'm mining them right now because they are just as profitable (if not moreso) than LTC and FTC at the moment... and I'm a Fallout franchise junkie Tongue

All three are relatively the same, but you can go to this site and it will give you a breakdown.  Not sure how accurate it all is, but from my own experience, CAP > FTC > LTC right now.  That could change.

http://dustcoin.com/

With my rig, I get around 1 LTC or 40 FTC or 200 CAP a day.

Per Cryptsy.com
1 LTC = 0.03448900 BTC
1 FTC = 0.00096998 BTC * 40 = 0.0387992 BTC
1 CAP = 0.00017443* BTC * 200 = 0.034886 BTC

* this was at 0.0002 earlier today and is volatile... FTC and LTC are more stable as CAP is about 2 weeks old.

Conversely, I can mine ~0.015 BTC a day... so it's definitely more worth it to mine alt-coins and trade them for BTC if you aren't mining with an ASIC.

Great breakdown. I'll probably continue until the weekend, do research, request payout and go from there.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: