Bitcoin Forum
September 02, 2024, 06:15:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Bitcoins  (Read 176 times)
Chaz1988 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 07:48:41 PM

Im not sure anyone can I or whether I should give up my hunt.

All I can remember is that I was mining Litecoins in 2014 for a bit and Deposited them on BTC-e, and did a little bit of trading, nothing serious. I have an email from May 2014 that confirms that I withdrew my measly 0.14038683 BTC, the Email states the Purse it was deposited to. I have not touched anything to do with crypo since then and really can hardly remember doing any of this!

Obviously now with the price of Bitcoins it would be nice to be able to track them down. If anyone has any suggestions on where to start looking I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
canvan

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 07:50:14 PM

You need the private key of the address it was deposited to or a login to an online wallet where it was held, without that you have no chance to recover the coins.
Chaz1988 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 07:57:13 PM

Thats what I feared, I have no emails around that time registering to any online wallets which is why I hit a brick wall. Not sure which were most popular in 2014.

This is going to sound really stupid but is the private key like a password? what would I need to attempt the private key, I assumed I would need the file? Kind of like a Wallet.dat file like Litecoin?
ZCoinTalk

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 08:39:54 PM

Your private key is a long set of characters. You can’t guess it. If you have a wallet.dat somewhere you might have a chance to get into it. Otherwise you need the private key (or mnemonic phrase based on it).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: