Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 07:07:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Big difference between 1080 Ti version?  (Read 652 times)
Radar99 (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 08:30:29 PM

Hi guys,

I'm asking myself a big question, I will buy tomorrow 4 Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti and I have two choice but the price difference is approx 100 dollars per card.

I'm was in beginning willing to buy this :

Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC 11GB

But there is also the

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC 11G

And price difference from the first to the second is approximately 400 dollars ....

Do you think it is worth it to buy the first model or the second one would be easy too ? I want to mine VTC and Mona.

Thank you !
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 08:36:15 PM

Stay very far away from Gigabyte Gaming cards! They have crappy sleeve bearing fans with toy-grade plastic that will die within months. They will make noise and they will slow down and die.

Same fans on GTX 970s lasted me close to a year but on the 1070s they lasted no more than 6 months!

So they came up with a premium deisgn with quality double ball bearing fans, called AORUS.

So either go with the AORUS series which have a super long lifespan or something else. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with ROG Strix cards (way overpriced here). But on the official page there's no mentioning of ball bearing so I suspect that's also subpar (double ball bearing is almost always advertised). The ASUS GeForce® GTX 1080 TI 11GB Turbo Edition (https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/TURBO-GTX1080TI-11G/) has double ball bearing and it's advertised as well - though I'd not buy a single fan blower style card, 2-3 fans is the best in my opinion.

AORUS: http://www.gigabyte.us/Graphics-Card/GV-N108TAORUS-11GD
AORUS Xtreme: http://www.gigabyte.us/Graphics-Card/GV-N108TAORUS-X-11GD (higher clocks)

Not your keys, not your coins!
Radar99 (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 08:59:05 PM

Thank you for your nice analysis !
I will then stick with Aorus or the Asus strix.
pfft

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 12:33:25 AM

Stay very far away from Gigabyte Gaming cards! They have crappy sleeve bearing fans with toy-grade plastic that will die within months. They will make noise and they will slow down and die.

Same fans on GTX 970s lasted me close to a year but on the 1070s they lasted no more than 6 months!

So they came up with a premium deisgn with quality double ball bearing fans, called AORUS.

So either go with the AORUS series which have a super long lifespan or something else. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with ROG Strix cards (way overpriced here). But on the official page there's no mentioning of ball bearing so I suspect that's also subpar (double ball bearing is almost always advertised). The ASUS GeForce® GTX 1080 TI 11GB Turbo Edition (https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/TURBO-GTX1080TI-11G/) has double ball bearing and it's advertised as well - though I'd not buy a single fan blower style card, 2-3 fans is the best in my opinion.

AORUS Xtreme: http://www.gigabyte.us/Graphics-Card/GV-N108TAORUS-X-11GD (higher clocks)
I got 8 gigabyte cards 1080ti...still no problem until now 2 months working 24/24....if something happen i have 3 years warranty so i don`t care...they will change it ... Smiley
So you can buy without any problem use it then when the card die send to the warranty to replace it.
bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:41:05 AM

I got 8 gigabyte cards 1080ti...still no problem until now 2 months working 24/24....if something happen i have 3 years warranty so i don`t care...they will change it ... Smiley
So you can buy without any problem use it then when the card die send to the warranty to replace it.

2 months is nothing really and yes, they will change it but it takes 1-2 months for them to do it - at least for me since it has to be shipped abroad with a chain of custody (I can't just ship it straight to Gigabyte).

And Gigabyte also doesn't sell replacement fans - which we could easily change if they did.

Anyway, if the price difference is small, why risk it?

Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2017, 09:05:12 AM

As stated in previous posts, the main difference is in the design of the cooler, as well as base/boost clock speeds (factory OC).

The ROG Strix versions from ASUS are higher-end cards, but won't necessarily achieve higher hashrates. IIRC, Gigabyte doesn't even include a backplate on the 1080ti Gaming OC cards, although that alone is hardly a big factor for mining, the Gaming OC line is their lowest 1080ti-based set of graphics cards.

Of course, if you went with the Gigabyte cards and they all worked fine, you'd save a substantial amount of money when purchasing 4 cards.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
thesavoyard

Activity: 560

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 09:35:55 AM

Stay away from 1080ti for mining. They have a lot of stability and performance issues. You're better off getting 2x 1070 per 1080ti. You'll get more performance and much better cards.

Undefined31415

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2017, 09:50:11 AM

Stay away from 1080ti for mining. They have a lot of stability and performance issues. You're better off getting 2x 1070 per 1080ti. You'll get more performance and much better cards.

I'd have to disagree. Where's the evidence that cards based on the 1080ti GPU have more issues with stability and performance than cards based on other GPUs?

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
KaydenC

Activity: 610
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2017, 10:08:43 AM

There's definitely no stability or performance issues. 2x 1070 will beat a 1080ti in equihash and ethash at the cost of lower density and having twice the cards, twice the work to do. Other algos are usually 2x 1070 = 1080ti
bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 07:51:12 AM

I have 1080 Ti's excluseively (that are online and not sitting on a shelf like a few 970 and 1070s) and they're the best goddamn cards I ever had to work with. AORUS Xtreme's as I had a good deal on them.

hanskan

Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 09:53:59 AM

My first Gigabyte Gaming cards bearing gave up just few days short of 5 months. Got new one but still will avoid it in the future.

As for 1080ti Aorus extreme - these are one of the most expensive ones on the market but they run very hot and are much slower on same clocks than MSI Duke or GamingX and MSI ones are much cheaper as well.
bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 10:28:17 AM

My first Gigabyte Gaming cards bearing gave up just few days short of 5 months. Got new one but still will avoid it in the future.

As for 1080ti Aorus extreme - these are one of the most expensive ones on the market but they run very hot and are much slower on same clocks than MSI Duke or GamingX and MSI ones are much cheaper as well.

Gigabyte cards have crappy sleeve bearings. I had 970's with fans dying in about 1 year and the 1070's were even worse; all died within 6 months. But their AORUS series is awesome asthey have double ball bearings.

The Xtremes are pricey, but the non-Xtremes are more realistic and there isn't much of a difference. I mostly went with them because of a good deal and resale value.

Also, all of these 250-375 watt cards run hot at max power. But since these cards are HUGE with 3 fans, I suspect they're on the cooler side of the competition. And at lower wattages they're cool. I'm running them at 180 watts and I'm hovering between 63-67°C.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 10:14:48 PM

For ball bearing fans, go Gigabyte Aorus (but NOT their lower-end cards), EVGA (all), MSI (all except PERHAPS their blower-design cards), ASUS blower cards (not sure on the rest).
On the AMD side, go Sapphire (hands down the BEST designs and ALL ball bearing fans).

1070 x 2 will do a little more than double the hashrate of a single 1080 ti - but for MORE than double the cost, and it gets worse at a "full system" level.

The most efficient setup right now for ZEC mining (and "better mined by Nvidia" coins in general) is a debate between the 1070 ti and the 1080 ti when you factor in TOTAL SYSTEM cost and watts used - the 1070 ti still wins on efficiency and on hash/$ but it's VERY close, while the 1080 ti wins on "rig density".

The Aorus in specific runs pretty cool even at it's full 250 watt TDP - quite a bit cooler than many of the 1070 cards I have running at 150 or 180 watt "design spec" TDP.
 Only way I've ever seen one get over 70 is if it was running the "stock" fan profile in a HOT room at HIGH load, or in a "crowded" setup that didn't let it get good airflow.

The issue with ALL of the "2.5-3 slot" designs is that they all use 2 x 8-pin power connectors, which makes getting power to them a PAIN in a multi-GPU rig.
 I vastly prefer cards like the EVGA SC model, with 8+6 power and still stays reasonably cool even when pushing close to max wattage at high load.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
thesavoyard

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 01:28:54 AM

I'd have to disagree. Where's the evidence that cards based on the 1080ti GPU have more issues with stability and performance than cards based on other GPUs?

Well, I had 6 GTX 1080ti, they all suck. My wife works for Oculus tech support and 90% of their issues are with the 1080ti. I only have anecdotal evidence but the chances it's just a bunch of bad cards is pretty slim.

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 12:26:35 PM

If they were all bought at the same time, they probably WERE from the same batch.

I have a few different 1080 ti models, NONE of which have demonstrated stability issues (they average BETTER stability than some of the 1070 cards I've had).
 3 x Aorus, 1 x EVGA SC, 1 x ASUS "blower", 1 x Gigabyte "Windforce" - so far.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
thesavoyard

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 11:59:56 PM

If they were all bought at the same time, they probably WERE from the same batch.

I have a few different 1080 ti models, NONE of which have demonstrated stability issues (they average BETTER stability than some of the 1070 cards I've had).

2 Zotac, 2 MSI and 2 Gigabyte.

Not the same batch for sure. Plus, they are a tech support nightmare. For 950 euros you can get 2x GTX 1070 G1 Gaming. They'll do 500 sols each. You'll get Samsung memory with those cards, for 750 you rolling the dice on a 1080ti, but you'll probably not get Samsung memory.

bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 12:07:58 AM

2 Zotac, 2 MSI and 2 Gigabyte.

Not the same batch for sure. Plus, they are a tech support nightmare. For 950 euros you can get 2x GTX 1070 G1 Gaming. They'll do 500 sols each. You'll get Samsung memory with those cards, for 750 you rolling the dice on a 1080ti, but you'll probably not get Samsung memory.

On 1080 Ti's you really shouldn't plan on mining memory-heavy algos...

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 11:22:08 PM

At CURRENT pricing, any NVidia card except PERHAPS the 1060 should not be used in ETH mining (where the memory is critical).

GTX 1070 ti will do 500 sols at quite a bit LESS POWER USED than any 1070 - and a lot of 1070 models won't hit 500 sols AT ALL, while it's fairly low output for a 1070 ti.
Heck, a lot of 1070s struggle to get to the 460-470 sol range at FULL TDP (150+ watts depending on the model) while a 1070 ti will pull that in it's MOST EFFICIENT settting range (around 106 watts).

A 1070 at that same 106 watt power setting (which is also very close to where the 1070 tends to be the most efficient) pulls 400-410 sols, based on several models I've been working with the last month or so.

For reference, a 1080 ti at the same "60% of the FE reference TDP" setting (which works out to 150 watts for those cards) pulls 620 sols, and almost matches the efficiency of the 1070 ti and slightly BEATS the efficiency of the 1070.
That's also close to the best efficiency point on the 4 different 1080 ti models I've worked with to date (Gigabyte 3-fan Windforce, EVGA SC, ASUS blower, Gigabyte Aorus not-extreme).

1070 can be good cards - but they're NOT the "end all beat all" best card some folks make it them to be, now that they're NOT priced the same as the AMD RX "gouge pricing" got up to.

For the BARE CARD, the 1070 can beat the 1080 ti on a hash/$ basis - but not by all that much - and when you compare TOTAL SYSTEM pricing, it evens out quite closely and the specific MODEL of each card makes more difference than the 1070 vs 1080 ti debate.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: