Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:02:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ETH question  (Read 332 times)
retooled (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 01:33:06 AM

Is this a correct assumption?

If there is a long backlog of transactions to verify and some have a low enough gas price that the miners choose higher gas priced transactions, is it
 possible for the low gas transactions to never be picked up due to the long backlog? Any "new" transactions with higher gas prices will be picked up again and again leaving the lower ones to be in the "air"

Im also assuming that under normal transaction levels the lower gased transactions get done because the miners can keep up with the volume. So my assumption only holds for unusually high volume.

If this is the case in high volume times, what eventually happens to the unverified transactions? Are there time limits on these delayed transactions, and if so do the coins get returned to the original source? Can these coins theoretically be tied up indefinitely?

Im new to all of this and just trying to understand why a transaction of mine is currently at 50 hours. Im not asking for help with the specific transaction, just trying to learn.

thanks
Maveth13

Activity: 336
Merit: 112

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 01:52:12 AM

Transactions that are stucked because of low fees will eventually return to you. Though there is no definite time, but it will so transactions to never be picked up is not possible.

I don't know if it's the same with bitcoin that old transactions gets increasing priority as time passes so that eventually transactions with low fees would get picked up.

Or you could just resend your transactions with higher fees.
retooled (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 01:58:40 AM

I would resend with higher gas price, but I sent it from an exchange to wallet and the exchange shows that the transaction is complete and my account shows the ETH has been removed.
bribed

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 01:59:37 AM

As far as I know your assumption that low gased transactions will never be picked up as long as there are constantly incoming higher gased transactions is true. Miners will always pick the ones with higher gas first, because that is how they make their money. However if a low gased transaction is not able to be confirmed for a long time it will eventually be returned, so funds being send with too low gas wont be tied up indefinitely. I dont know how long it takes until they are returned though.
kaya11

Activity: 1302
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 02:25:38 AM

If there is a long backlog of transactions to verify and some have a low enough gas price that the miners choose higher gas priced transactions, is it
 possible for the low gas transactions to never be picked up due to the long backlog? Any "new" transactions with higher gas prices will be picked up again and again leaving the lower ones to be in the "air"

SakinaPrincess

Activity: 217
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 02:39:20 AM

Yeah the transactions with a lower fee will return back to you. Miners pick the transactions with higher fee ofcourse.

SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform  
▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬
Github    -    Discord    -    Twitter    -    Telegram    -    Get Free Airdrop Now!
retooled (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 02:45:26 AM

Yes I would expect the miners to take the higher gas

Do the exchanges have a default gas price when sending ETH to wallets?
I did not have an option to set the gas when I sent.

Again thanks for the help. Rapid learning going on here!!
DennisStoff

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 02:53:31 AM

Now ETH is having problem with their transaction,, i dont know what caused it be like that. but for the higher fee transaction, i never tried it before, maybe you can complete your pending transaction by increase your gas, i also wonder about this problem, actually we have the same problem. i cant deposit my token, when i track the hash, it keeps pending until now.
Xfactor06

Merit: 12

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 03:17:26 AM

Eth blockchain is having a problem right now. I've tried the normal gas fee in ED which 4gwei it's so sluggish right now. Tried to rise up the gas fee to 55gwei it did go through but i feel like i got robbed because there's been an error on the said gwei so it charged me 0.02+ eth.
Psalms23

Activity: 504
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 03:23:51 AM

Eth blockchain is having a problem right now. I've tried the normal gas fee in ED which 4gwei it's so sluggish right now. Tried to rise up the gas fee to 55gwei it did go through but i feel like i got robbed because there's been an error on the said gwei so it charged me 0.02+ eth.

I have also done this just to get my transactions going, actually I even got to 61 just to get it flowing. It might be true that low gased trasanctions will be returned but how long do we have to wait until this happens.
retooled (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 03:24:28 AM

Yes I wish I could have set the gas on the bitstamp transaction

Thanks for responding
FDC1412

Merit: 100

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 03:33:53 AM

since the gas fee will determine how fast your transaction will be, it will also determine how fast the return of it if your transaction is cancelled.

retooled (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 03:43:18 AM

That blows!! but makes sense.

Whats the record for ETH to be tied up?!!
kevoh

Activity: 448
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 04:42:47 AM

While your eth will be refunded due to insufficient gas to process and complete the transaction. The gas that you paid is entirely consumed and not refunded.
Iyanu14

Activity: 795
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 09:06:48 AM

I sent a token and tx id was generated but no fee was deducted can i resend it or wait for some time for tx fee to be deducted.
neatworld

Activity: 293
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 09:10:42 AM

This is an excellent question and I'm learning a lot from this thread. However if you're sending from exchange to exchange is there any way to set the gas for your transaction? Or is this something that's done by the exchange itself, and is passed on to us in the form of higher transaction fees?
della46

Activity: 73

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 09:24:22 AM

I think it is appropriate because the etherium I think is altcoin that will be able to match its popularity like bitcoin.dan still many reasons to explain about bitcoin.
FiiNALiZE

Activity: 868
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 08:07:00 PM

Im also assuming that under normal transaction levels the lower gased transactions get done because the miners can keep up with the volume. So my assumption only holds for unusually high volume.

If this is the case in high volume times, what eventually happens to the unverified transactions? Are there time limits on these delayed transactions, and if so do the coins get returned to the original source? Can these coins theoretically be tied up indefinitely?

Im new to all of this and just trying to understand why a transaction of mine is currently at 50 hours. Im not asking for help with the specific transaction, just trying to learn.

thanks
Ethereum is usually pretty easy to use and the transaction through Ethereum is kind of fast enough for wider usage. Give it some time.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Pages: [1]
  Print