Bitcoin Forum
December 02, 2016, 06:21:40 PM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet.dat question  (Read 882 times)
bitwatch

Activity: 20

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 03:23:46 PM

OK, I am trying to create a secure wallet.dat file.  So I am running Ubuntu and then I launch the bit client.  (Last night I managed to download all the current blocks chain ~134,000).  So back to the present I am now trying to make a secure wallet via Ubuntu b/c it is RAM.  So, question is where the hell is the wallet.dat file that I need to copy? Can I change it to anything I want or must I accept whatever IP address and wallet.dat file the client generates randomly?

Once I do this I will be mining via Windows.  So next time I launch the bit client I will cut and paste the random IP address bar correct?  And what about the wallet.dat file from this Windows/client launch? Just ignore it?

Thanks in advance
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 03:26:44 PM

OK, I am trying to create a secure wallet.dat file.  So I am running Ubuntu and then I launch the bit client.  (Last night I managed to download all the current blocks chain ~134,000).  So back to the present I am now trying to make a secure wallet via Ubuntu b/c it is RAM.  So, question is where the hell is the wallet.dat file that I need to copy? Can I change it to anything I want or must I accept whatever IP address and wallet.dat file the client generates randomly?

Once I do this I will be mining via Windows.  So next time I launch the bit client I will cut and paste the random IP address bar correct?  And what about the wallet.dat file from this Windows/client launch? Just ignore it?

Thanks in advance

~/.bitcoin/wallet.dat - unix
C:\Users\<username>\.bitcoin\wallet.day - windows

And what IP address?
bitwatch

Activity: 20

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 04:11:13 PM

Doh,

sorry my stupid misunderstanding.  Not enough coffie apparently. 

I should have typed Bitcoin address NOT IP address.  Please insert bitcoin address instead of IP address in my above question while I un-insert my head from my....

thanks
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 12:35:16 AM

Doh,

sorry my stupid misunderstanding.  Not enough coffie apparently. 

I should have typed Bitcoin address NOT IP address.  Please insert bitcoin address instead of IP address in my above question while I un-insert my head from my....

thanks

Ah, yes you have to use the bitcoin address the client uses. And yes you have to us the random address.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.