Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:31:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin's value vs Ethereum  (Read 15668 times)
proTECH77 (OP)

Activity: 1120
Merit: 30

Bisq Market Day - March 20th 2023

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:07:50 AM

I used to think that, as the value of bitcoin appreciates, so also should the value of Ethereum. But it seems the reverse is the case.
My question is, Why is it so? I need your opinions, for clarity sack and a better understanding that would really stand as a guide.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄          bisq.network          ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
<<<<<<<<<<<Bisq Market Day - March 20th 2023 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀          DOWNLOAD    N O W           ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SilverCoin300

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:10:29 AM

Ethereum having some issues with it is network right now. That is it main problem.
Kinohimitsu

Activity: 17

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:13:08 AM

I used to think that, as the value of bitcoin appreciates, so also should the value of Ethereum. But it seems the reverse is the case.
My question is, Why is it so? I need your opinions, for clarity sack and a better understanding that would really stand as a guide.

This was the first pattern many economists of crypto observed in the spring of 2017, when Bitcoin was making its early emergence from the old barriers of $1,500. As Bitcoin rose, almost all the other alts did as well. This was when Ethereum also broke $400. But, later, as Bitcoin corrected, and then again moved upwards, the other coins failed to repeat their performance. So the theory that all crypto was linked was disproven.

Today, alts move against Bitcoin when the latter weakens. This is now the hegemony removed.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:22:35 AM

there actually is not much of a relationship between the two.
sometimes BTC rises and ETH follows. sometimes it falls instead.
sometimes BTC falls and ETH follows. sometimes it rises instead.

but generally speaking, whenever bitcoin is rising (or falling) other altcoins fall. the reason is not completely clear. i have some theories though.

i say it is partly because most people expect the altcoin falls during times like that so they act faster to prevent losses. that always creates panic sell follow ups. as this happens more often, more people catch on the pattern and start selling and soon an altcoin dump becomes a common thing during bitcoin both rise and falls.

the other part is due to arbitrage opportunities that bitcoin rise creates specially in the altcoins with fiat market like ETH.
for example lets say bitcoin is $10,000 and ETH is 0.05BTC or $500
bitcoin goes to $14,000 so if ETH stays at 0.05BTC it means it would be worth $700 but it can't just rise like that! nobody is going to pay $200 more for it. additionally there is arbitrage opportunity which creates some sells on both markets and "act of selling" is always causing panic sells, stop loss orders kicking in, bots starting issuing warnings, the alerts going off,.... and causes the drop to happen. so the final result would be ETH at $480 and 0.034BTC
(numbers are just for example).

on top of it all, there is always bubbles to consider. specially in a coin like ETH which will burst due to this sell off.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Samolet

Activity: 350
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:31:40 AM

These are two different units, they have different schedules and are not required to move one after another. That which ensures the movement of Bitcoin can not ensure the movement of Ethereum ...
bitcoinisfrat

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:34:34 AM

So what is it exactly that makes Ethereum valuable? Like why should I put my money in it instead of Bitcoin?
Minotus

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

Presale is live!

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:41:15 AM

These two are the main pillars of crypto world and this won't change any time soon. That's why their trends kinda follow each other. The late struggle ethereum having is about the problem based on ethereum's network. People are having hard times to make transactions with ethereum but i think it will be solved very soon and things get back to normal.

AMHURSICKUS

Activity: 294
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:43:26 AM

Bitcoin is different from ethereum. Sometimes both of them are increasing and decreasing, but still they don't have any connection. Both bitcoin and ethereum are good cryptocurrency and has been proven of being profitable.

▂ ▃ ▅ ▆   LUCRE DON'T HODL; TRADE!   ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂
BITCOIN & CRYPTO CURRENCY ALGORITHMIC TRADING & SIGNAL SERVICE ✓ 
▌▐ ▬▬▬▬▬  Twitter ⬝  Telegram ⬝   Facebook ⬝  Youtube ⬝  Meduim   ▬▬▬▬▬ ▌▐
cryptospear

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:43:49 AM

Theres a big difference between BTC and ETH's networks,btc can handle huge volume of transactions everyday while ethereum proves that he is not ready to be the right hand of BTC because theres a lot of bugs and reasons why people wont hold ethereum in the future.

◆  ◆  ◆  ◆      P L A Z A      ◆  ◆  ◆  ◆       The Intersection of Lifestyle & Technology
[ WHITEPAPER ]       PRE-SALE Starts    │    March 15th, 2018       [ ANN THREAD ]
TELEGRAM   GITHUB   MEDIUM   YOUTUBE   TWITTER   FLIPBOARD   REDDIT   LINKEDIN   FACEBOOK   EMAIL
bitcoinisfrat

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:46:50 AM

Ok I get that, but why is Ethereum a better store of money, in the long run, than Bitcoin? What is its value? That is what I am trying to understand.
cryptocue

Activity: 252
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:48:02 AM

When BTC goes up and downs alts are bleeding,while btc stabilize the alts are pumping thats my own observation,thats the reason why the BTC is a killing machine for alts.

Fria

Activity: 182
Merit: 40

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:53:53 AM

Ethereum having some issues with it is network right now. That is it main problem.

Maybe it's already fixed, support team are on it.
Many complaints about Ethereum congestion but I think it's normal since Ethereum having heavy traffic while people are exchanging tokens into Ethereum and the other way Ethereum into other tokens.
Fria

Activity: 182
Merit: 40

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:56:03 AM

When BTC goes up and downs alts are bleeding,while btc stabilize the alts are pumping thats my own observation,thats the reason why the BTC is a killing machine for alts.

I think when Bitcoin price is increasing Altcoins are affected because people choose to dump their Altcoins and shift the investment into Bitcoin. That's why Ethereum network is congested but Bitcoin's network is also the same with Ethereum. If there's heavy traffic for transactions then the network will slow down.
semar nyengir

Activity: 113

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:59:03 AM

this may be due to the dispensation made by the team in both projects and the thing that makes it more active in the case so that the level of the coin or altcoin does not fall from the original or targeted value.
Satish147

Activity: 420

Harmony for One and All

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2017, 08:01:37 AM

In my view right now there is a correlation between
BTC and Altcoins like when BTC rises Altcoin falls.

But there can be views like if Bitcoin appreciates it's value then in the same the capable altcoins should be rised I'm the same way. It may not happen now but i think it will definitely happens in near future. The most anticipated coins appreciation are Ethereum, Litecoin.

squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 08:16:38 AM

Trying to understand the correlation between altcoins and Bitcoin is tricky. It's a fickle relationship. Usually when Bitcoin rises fast (like now), altcoins drop in value as people exit altcoin markets to hold BTC. When coins are in an accumulation phase, they will often hold their value against USD but fall against BTC. We're seeing a mass exit in alt/BTC markets as people chase Bitcoin's rally (with a few exceptions). This can even spill over into dumping alt/fiat markets (like ETHUSD) because the Bitcoin fomo is so strong.

I doubt it has much to do with Crypto Kitties. There is significant network congestion and rising transaction fees (much like Bitcoin), but it's the negative correlation to Bitcoin that's killing its price. The fear of missing out on BTC's gains is causing most coins to bleed out. My portfolio is less than 20% alts, and I've bled buckets today.....

VestRidCr

Activity: 392

JOIN THE NEXT MEGATREND IN CRYPTO!

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 08:22:43 AM

Yes, the ether has huge problems with the network, there are a lot of unconfirmed transactions. It is clearly visible here https://etherscan.io/chart/pendingtx

rezha82

Activity: 47

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 08:25:34 AM

good work, I think this is indeed a case of very high virality and this I think for the future would be better again.
Good_Boy

Activity: 784

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 08:26:21 AM

Usually it is, but now the etherium has technical problems. Therefore, its price has slightly decreased
mashort

Activity: 281

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 08:36:10 AM

when BTC is green, alts are red, but in some cases, both can be red like it happened sometimes in November. however, my theory is that people use alts for trading and when they make profits transfer them to BTC. also when the week is almost ending, many people convert fiat to BTC leading to appreciation in value. i dont know why but someone should explain why BTC appreciates in value on Thursdays or Fridays.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: