Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 03:19:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 Supermicro Dual Xeon Superworkstations  (Read 181 times)
GODFR33 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 08:22:19 AM

I have 5 Supermicro Superworkstations. I'd like to know what would be the best setup? these are like new and I would love suggestions for a setup.

Specs first. full tower Eatx superworkstaton   link to the board. https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon/c600/x9dai.cfm

MB Dual socket R (LGA 2011) Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 12 Core 2.0 Ghz 15MB L3 Cache per CPU 24 threads total

Intel® C602 chipset; QPI up to 8.0GT/s

Up to 1TB ECC DDR3, up to 1866MHz;
16x DIMM slots

Expansion slots:
    3x PCI-E 3.0 x16 slots
    2x PCI-E 3.0 x8 slots
    1x PCI-E 3.0 x4 (in x8) slot

(Both CPUs need to be installed for full access to PCI-E slots and onboard controllers.)

8x 4-pin fan headers (up to 8 fans)
    8x fans with tachometer monitoring
    Status monitor for speed control
    Status monitor for on/off control
    Low noise fan speed control
    Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) fan connectors

Monitoring for CPU and chassis environment
    CPU thermal trip support
    Thermal Control for 8x Fan Connectors
    I2C temperature sensing logic
    Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) support
    PECI

Before Nicehack got hacked...Not going into that subject!! I was averaging 400H/s CryptoNight at 14cores.. About $1 and change just for the CPU.

I also have 1 XFX rx580 8gb, (600-700 H/s CN) Sapphire vega 56,(1300 H/s CN) Nvidia 1060 3 GB, and a MSI 660ti (250 H/s CN)

I averaged about $10 a day on nice hash but I only started doing that for the ease of not switching... I know, I know.  I know how to run most mining software on both Linux and Windows.

I noticed a hug improvement in Ubuntu but struggled with the AMD drivers!!! arhhhh

I would be willing to Sell one cheap or Donate to someone who could optimize my situation!!!!

Look forward to the chat!!!

Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2017, 08:54:06 AM

Do you already have PCIe x1 to x16 risers available? If you don't have free power, I would recommend using only one of your workstations (unless you purchase more graphics cards), and installing all of your cards in that one (perhaps omitting the 660ti, but that's up to you and your power costs).

I don't usually mine monero, but my gut says you should be able to get a bit more from your XFX RX 580, and quite a bit more from your VEGA 56. Have you considered using XMR-Stak-AMD for mining? Have you adjusted the clock settings at all?

The Nvidia 1060 may be better suited to mining on equihash or lyra2rev, but if consolidating your proceeds on one coin is your goal, then switching the 1060 to mine a different coin by itself might not be a convenient option, since NiceHash isn't doing too great right now.

As far as your OS is concerned, Ubuntu might not be a great choice if you plan on having both AMD and Nvidia GPUs in the same system. Getting the drivers to play nicely with each other can be quite a pain on most Linux distributions.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
GODFR33 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 09:31:50 AM

Do you already have PCIe x1 to x16 risers available? If you don't have free power, I would recommend using only one of your workstations (unless you purchase more graphics cards), and installing all of your cards in that one (perhaps omitting the 660ti, but that's up to you and your power costs).

I don't usually mine monero, but my gut says you should be able to get a bit more from your XFX RX 580, and quite a bit more from your VEGA 56. Have you considered using XMR-Stak-AMD for mining? Have you adjusted the clock settings at all?

The Nvidia 1060 may be better suited to mining on equihash or lyra2rev, but if consolidating your proceeds on one coin is your goal, then switching the 1060 to mine a different coin by itself might not be a convenient option, since NiceHash isn't doing too great right now.

As far as your OS is concerned, Ubuntu might not be a great choice if you plan on having both AMD and Nvidia GPUs in the same system. Getting the drivers to play nicely with each other can be quite a pain on most Linux distributions.

I have one ribbon riser for the possibility of running the 1060. If you look at the setup of the board the 1st PCI3 is located at the bottom of my case...perfect for a single NVS card but not so for a double GFX card.

So what I did was remove the bottom of 1 of the servers and built out an extension. Laid the server on its side and built a Wood template before I rivet and apply metal.

Actually I'm into veneering as a hobby as well and have thought about building out a nice walnut wall piece.. an Attractive miner.

I put the rx in the 1st slot PCI-e x16 which is controlled by cpu1, middle empty for airflow, vega in slot 3 PCI-e x16 controlled by the second CPU.

Currently getting 62mH/s Eth/2000mH decred.. letting this run for a day before I turn on a cpu miner.

These are tanks with 900w gold PSU thick PCB and very durable.  I'm at 600w from the wall....I know I'm running it hot for testing.

FYI got them for 200 each so way less than buying a lesser cpu rig and board.

any other suggestions would be great as I'm open to ideas. Power is not a thing since I have a good day job, I just want to mine and yeas could have put that $ into a coin.. but then where is the fun

I love Ubuntu but your right a pain.. I spent more time sorting things out at first than mining only to get windows keys and Hence the transition to nicehash.. I was done fight Linux and AMD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: