Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:54:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternative way of claiming a fork? E.g. with private keys?  (Read 182 times)
PeskyWabbit (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 02:23:57 PM

Hello everyone,

I understand there are some Bitcoin forks coming up.

My crypto currency is in an online wallet (coin.space) and I don't want to purchase a hardware wallet. Neither do I wish to keep transferring my funds from here to there trying to keep up with this stuff.

If my online wallet doesn't support the fork can I can claim funds from any upcoming forks in another way? E.g. Could I use the private keys from my online wallet somehow.

Thanks Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2017, 02:28:50 PM

First of all: there's a middle ground here... Online wallets are insecure (imho), you're not the (only) one controlling your private keys, so you're not the (only) one controlling your funds.

If you're not ready to buy a hardware wallet, a desktop wallet on a clean PC will usually be a step up (safety wise) compared to an online wallet.

As for your question: if you can export your private keys from your online wallet, you can probably import them in the fork's reference wallet... However: this might not always be a good idear, for example, not all forks might have replay protection, so importing your private keys into the fork's wallet and spending those forked altcoins might end up costing you your unspent outputs on the bitcoin network!

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
PeskyWabbit (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 02:56:18 PM

Thanks for your insight, mocacinno Smiley
BlockchainCoder

Activity: 210
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 09:42:50 AM

could I use the online wallet to apply all those hard fork in December and January? I have been known that for example the Coinomi bitcoin.com could help to claim for the hard fork, and seems easy to do, is that ok to perform the claim in a online fork? Is there anyone has a user experience to do this way? which one is the best? many thanks!

▌▌   Anonymous and Untraceable     ›› ››   DeepOnion  ‹‹ ‹‹     TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED    ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     ANN  Whitepaper  FACEBOOK  Twitter  Youtube  Forum     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▌▌   ••  JOIN AIRDROP 🚀  ••  |||   Download DeepOnion   |||   ✅ Verified with DeepVault    ▌▌
Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 11:14:23 AM

could I use the online wallet to apply all those hard fork in December and January? I have been known that for example the Coinomi bitcoin.com could help to claim for the hard fork, and seems easy to do, is that ok to perform the claim in a online fork? Is there anyone has a user experience to do this way? which one is the best? many thanks!
Do not use online wallets.
A lot of hacks have occurred this way.

You can import your private keys to Coinomi wallet and use that instead.
Coinomi runs on your phone so it's safer than using online wallets.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: