Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 12:00:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would it be advisable for us to Support or Stop Video Games from Mining Crypto  (Read 183 times)
janaka29 (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:04:02 PM

With the disclosure that the CBS Showtime site was 'some way or another' facilitating javascript based crypto-mining code, viably utilizing it's clients CPU time to dig cash for whoever put the code there, is it an opportunity to examine whether computer games could do likewise?

Could computer games that don't use 100% of the CPU/GPU of the gadget/stage they are on, be utilized to mine crypto?

Could this be the new F2P - without advertisements and microtransactions, however rather a concurrence with the client to utilize their CPU/GPU time? (E.g. the client has the alternative to pay with CPU time rather than cash)

Or, on the other hand is this simply awful/deceptive/dangerous? Are there some other concerns?
halker2010

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

The harder your life is the more meaning it has.

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 08:02:01 PM

well as long as you are using their product and it is in their term of service that minor and major mining will occur in their software or video games its normal the issue comes with hidden miners and malwares.
Kronos21

Activity: 434
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 08:10:18 PM

All good and interesting video game using the video CPU almost 100%. In the primitive game played by a few people. In addition, I see no reason people who play a primitive game to spend money on expensive and powerful GPU. Their computer cannot get a lot of coins. It makes this business hopeless.
sachithra

Activity: 153
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 03:52:04 AM

I'm curious how gamedevs feel about a subscription model for access to a catalog of games---not streaming. I know some publishing companies have mentioned it, and I think it would be a great way of getting exposure to indie games.

As for mining, desktop gamers are already more prone to solder damage from thermal cycles and intermittent mining just increases those cycles. I just don't think it's the right direction.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: