Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:08:41 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Saving bitcoin on paper  (Read 239 times)
sfx777 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 08:26:40 PM

Hi! I am coming back to this silly topic again, though there are many instructions out there.
I just want to get some clarity. I have some fraction of btc on exchanges.

I am not paranoid about printer being hacked while printing or printer paper being lost. All I need to know is:-

What and how (exactly? which reliable software?) can I print all needed data, which will correspond to my bitcoins, so that I can permanently put the paper in my drawer.
From what I understood, I only need to create two set of keys (private and public) and a transaction id (?) where I will transfer all my existing bitcoins from exchanges.

So does it mean, that I only need to print these three set of (strings) data ?

Thanks. Cheers Smiley)
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2017, 08:43:01 PM

First you have to download a tool which can generate a public-/private key pair for you.
You can go to https://www.bitaddress.org to do so. But make sure to download this site and run it offline (preferably on a linux machine).
Then print the paper from a printer connected to your offline pc. Then you can send money to your public key (withdraw it from your exchanges).
To spend your funds you have to import the private key into a wallet. This should only be done on a safe machine.

MiningSensei

Activity: 766
Merit: 509

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 08:50:27 PM

You are lucky, a lot of people have been scammed in their exchanges lately on bittrex or poloniex

If you have a new computer then you do not have nothing to be worried about, i dont know why a lot of people are paranoic everytime that they have to print a paper wallet.
Just print it, dont think so much.

I am not paranoid about printer being hacked while printing or printer paper being lost. All I need to know is:-

You only need to print your private key + public key, the transaction ID is another thing. everytime that you sned a payment you get a transaction id, it doesnt have anything in common with a paper wallet

Just move your funds to your public key, akka address

Hello
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 09:54:49 PM

Hi! I am coming back to this silly topic again, though there are many instructions out there.

What and how (exactly? which reliable software?) can I print all needed data, which will correspond to my bitcoins, so that I can permanently put the paper in my drawer.
From what I understood, I only need to create two set of keys (private and public) and a transaction id (?) where I will transfer all my existing bitcoins from exchanges.

Thanks. Cheers Smiley)
Just a word of advice for a paper wallet:
After you have printed your wallet, laminate the paper. It will be sunproof, dustproof, waterproof, etc... It's a little extra cost to rent a tool to laminate (or you can buy it, and use it afterwards), or ask someone to laminate it, in that case don't print a header that it's a bitcoin private key...
Always print several (at least 2) copies of the private key and store it in different locations in safe places.
Transaction ID is totally different from the keys, you don't have to bother with it, it's just an unique identifier of each transaction, so it's not really important as soon as the transaction itself has been confirmed.
JumboCactuar

Activity: 166
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 09:58:34 PM

What if someone finds your paper copy though
andthereyou

Activity: 616
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 10:18:58 PM
Last edit: December 08, 2017, 02:14:03 AM by andthereyou

You need to immediately do the suggestoon above to create your own address. Transfer your bitcoin to  a safe address with private key not belong to exchanges. I read many articles and thread in this forum that putting your bitcoins in exchanges is not safe.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: