Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:31:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP! Lost wallet password!  (Read 1389 times)
acs26

July 11, 2013, 05:08:40 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2013, 11:40:51 PM by acs26

Hello guys, earlier this morning I bought 20 Bitcoins and sent them to my BitcoinQT wallet on my desktop. Only minutes after the transaction was complete I tried to send a few bitcoins out of the wallet and it asks for my password..

The wallet was created 6 months ago and I can not for the life of me remember the password. I know most of it the first part is "Jonhjef****" the last 4 are digits that I can not remember. I do remember that they are numbers however.

How can I recover my wallet?? I cant stand the idea of losing this much Bitcoins for such a stupid, stupid reason. Is anyone able to bruteforce it? If someones able to fix this Id have no problem giving them a percentage of whats in my wallet. help please!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 05:16:08 PM

Hello guys, earlier this morning I bought 20 Bitcoins and sent them to my BitcoinQT wallet on my desktop. Only minutes after the transaction was complete I tried to send a few bitcoins out of the wallet and it asks for my password..

The wallet was created 6 months ago and I can not for the life of me remember the password. I know most of it the first part is "Jonhjef****" the last 4 are digits that I can not remember. I do remember that they are numbers however.

How can I recover my wallet?? I cant stand the idea of losing this much Bitcoins for such a stupid, stupid reason. Is anyone able to bruteforce it? If someones able to fix this Id have no problem giving them a percentage of whats in my wallet. help please!

I can try. If you're sure it's 4 digits missing, that should be ok.
I send you a pm with my e-mail.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 05:54:17 PM

If you are positive that only 4 digits are missing, it'll be brute-forced in a matter of milliseconds, no worries.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 06:21:41 PM

Few minutes actually (I did a trial), but yeah that's really feasible. All depends on whether the rest of the pass is corret or not.

Kouye

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 06:25:34 PM

Really ? Executing bitcoind with the walletpassphrase switch 10000 times (considering you have the worst possible luck) takes several minutes ?  Shocked
Never tried, actually, so I'll beleive you, but that looks very slow.

I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 06:35:23 PM

Really ? Executing bitcoind with the walletpassphrase switch 10000 times (considering you have the worst possible luck) takes several minutes ?  Shocked

Was about one minute for 1000 trials.

tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 06:37:37 PM

It's not wise to post your passphrase on this forum even with a few digits missing. Someone else could have done the brute force and stole your coins. Undecided
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 06:46:40 PM

Bitcoind forces decryption to take an average of 0.1 seconds, and reencrypts to make it stronger if your hardware has got faster.
bitcoiner49er

Activity: 457

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 06:47:02 PM

It's not wise to post your passphrase on this forum even with a few digits missing. Someone else could have done the brute force and stole your coins. Undecided

Don't you also need the wallet file? Or am I confused?

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet
binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 06:48:19 PM

Don't you also need the wallet file? Or am I confused?

You need the wallet file.

1PFYcabWEwZFm2Ez5LGTx3ftz

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 09:06:06 PM

You don't even need any software to "bruteforce" it.

Just copy the part of the pass you remember into clipboard, then CTRL + V, type 0000, press ENTER; CTRL +V, type 0001, press ENTER... repeat until 9999 (or until you get it right).

It shouldn't take you more than several hours.

DO NOT SEND YOUR WALLET FILE TO ANYONE AND DO NOT INSTALL ANY "BRUTEFORCE" SOFTWARE UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY TRUST THE PERSON/SOFTWARE.

But seriously, it is hard to imagine that this is a real post. I can not imagine any adult person, who would not realize, that there are only 10000 possible password variations in your case, and that you can simply try them all, to "recover the wallet".

What I suspect this could be, is a mass-media shill posting. If someone helps to "recover" the wallet for this person, expect an article along the lines of: "a guy loses 20 BTC, but someone from the bitcoin community hacks Bitcoin to get the 20 BTC back".

Better paranoid than sorry.
binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 09:16:27 PM

Just copy the part of the pass you remember into clipboard, then CTRL + V, type 0000, press ENTER; CTRL +V, type 0001, press ENTER... repeat until 9999 (or until you get it right).
Sounds very repetitive and boring! Oh, wait, I think we invented one thing to make repetitive and boring tasks for us... computers!
You're right, we don't need softwares for this. I don't consider less than 10 lines of bash script a software.

You're right, mankind has way too much free time in its hands, let's waste it! Smiley

DO NOT SEND YOUR WALLET FILE TO ANYONE AND DO NOT INSTALL ANY "BRUTEFORCE" SOFTWARE UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY TRUST THE PERSON/SOFTWARE.
Agreed.

What I suspect this could be, is a mass-media shill posting. If someone helps to "recover" the wallet for this person, expect an article along the lines of: "a guy loses his bitcoins, but bitcoin community hacks his wallet to get the bitcoins back".
What did you smoke?

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 09:21:44 PM

What I suspect this could be, is a mass-media shill posting. If someone helps to "recover" the wallet for this person, expect an article along the lines of: "a guy loses his bitcoins, but bitcoin community hacks his wallet to get the bitcoins back".
What did you smoke?
Are you really oblivious to the colossal amount of anti-bitcoin propaganda on mass-media?

There were already tons of articles, describing how "Bitcoin was hacked", when in reality it was the users' computers which were hacked.
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 09:23:38 PM

But seriously, it is hard to imagine that this is a real post. I can not imagine any adult person, who would not realize, that there are only 10000 possible password variations in your case, and that you can simply try them all, to "recover the wallet".

What I suspect this could be, is a mass-media shill posting. If someone helps to "recover" the wallet for this person, expect an article along the lines of: "a guy loses 20 BTC, but someone from the bitcoin community hacks Bitcoin to get the 20 BTC back".

It reminds me of trying to open a suitcase with a number lock of which I forgot the number. Spent an afternoon trying to open it. And those had only 3 digits. Luckily I didn't use a different code on the left side than on the right side, then it would have been 6 digits.

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 09:28:49 PM

It reminds me of trying to open a suitcase with a number lock of which I forgot the number. Spent an afternoon trying to open it. And those had only 3 digits. Luckily I didn't use a different code on the left side than on the right side, then it would have been 6 digits.
Exactly. And would you post on the webforum asking for help on how to "recover" your suitcase?
binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 09:31:53 PM

What did you smoke?
Are you really oblivious to the colossal amount of anti-bitcoin propaganda on mass-media?

There were already tons of articles, describing how "Bitcoin was hacked", when in reality it was the users' computers which were hacked.

I agree mainstream-media are often wrong, exagerated, overalarmist, etc. But nobody would confuse, how you summarized it very well, trying 10000 possible combinations with "hacking" a wallet. Hacking, whatever is technically behind the word, is often beyond the possible understanding and knowledge of the average person, but trying 10000 possibilities is definitely not.
I won't go any further in this discussion as I fear we'd enter into much less rational considerations.

binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 09:34:43 PM

Exactly. And would you post on the webforum asking for help on how to "recover" your suitcase?

If you know some guys there could easily build a machine that tries all codes in few minutes for you? I would either ask them, or learn myself how to build this machine, which in both case involve asking around for some help, much better than wasting hours. Smiley

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 09:41:16 PM

If you want to avoid the trust issue with sending your wallet.dat to someone with the hope they will be able to recover your password, you could try auctioning your wallet.dat to someone who would know how to brute force it.  That way you could just open a new wallet with a password you can write down and have someone send you some fresh coins.

But of course they'd have to place their trust in you that the rest of your password is correct because cracking an 11 character password with no known characters would take a super long time Cheesy

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 10:18:17 PM

But nobody would confuse, how you summarized it very well, trying 10000 possible combinations with "hacking" a wallet.
WTF are you talking about? Smiley

There were articles calling the ddos of mtgox as "Bitcoin hacking" http://www.cnbc.com/id/100615508 Bitcoin Hacked: Price Stumbles After Buying Frenzy

They would absolutely, definitely call wallet encryption bruteforcing as "Bitcoin hacking" too.
Kouye

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 10:33:06 PM

Bitcoind forces decryption to take an average of 0.1 seconds, and reencrypts to make it stronger if your hardware has got faster.

Ok, thanks for educating me.
I understand better why bitcoind is so hard to use on a heavily loaded website, too.  Wink

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: