Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:54:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Change Bitcoin SHA-256 to SCRYPT  (Read 5847 times)
Jazkal (OP)

Activity: 319
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 05:43:53 PM

What would it take to get the algo changed from SHA-256 to Scrypt?
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 05:48:42 PM

51% of the network in agreement pretty much.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 05:51:50 PM

Pretty much impossible in the foreseeable future with all the investments in single-purpose (SHA) ASICs.

Signature space available for rent.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 05:55:06 PM

Pretty much impossible in the foreseeable future with all the investments in single-purpose (SHA) ASICs.

Unless someone wealthy or an organization with a lot of resources manages to do a 51% attack (or simply become the most dominant mining entity) with their own in-house ASIC production, in which case a switch to scrypt could happen overnight.

The reason I say this is I consider it somewhat possible: as budget goes up linearly in an ASIC production enterprise, the output and efficiency goes up something more exponentially.  A big whale could do it, the way I see it.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 05:57:42 PM

Unless someone wealthy or an organization with a lot of resources manages to do a 51% attack with their own in-house ASIC-based attack project, in which case a switch to scrypt could happen overnight.

Uh no.  A 51% attack cannot trigger a hard fork.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
Jazkal (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 06:05:55 PM

I think Let's Talk Bitcoin covered the issue pretty well in Episodes 21 and 22. I've had the same beliefs for some time, and with the way the ASIC world is going, it is playing out. If the community doesn't step up and make the change, or at least have an open discussion on the issue, I see Bitcoin dead in less than a year.
Peter Todd
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 06:09:50 PM

Go buy some Litecoins.

gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 08:33:06 PM

uh. "51%" has nothing to do with anything here.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 08:41:23 PM

...with the way the ASIC world is going, it is playing out. If the community doesn't step up and make the change, or at least have an open discussion on the issue, I see Bitcoin dead in less than a year.

Why? You think ASICs are centralizing bitcoin too much? Am I missing some other concern?

I have a block-erupter USB running on a Raspberry PI right next to me as I type this. I'm also thinking of ordering some Avalon chips. Various mining hardware suppliers are finally shipping. ASICs are being *widely* distributed, and spiking the total hashrate/security dramatically. Yes, we're absolutely going to see a handful of pools and operators with huge share, but we'll also see a very long-tail of distributed pretty-impressive hashrate.

With GPUs, you'd get that effect less in the long-run because of the reduced efficiency... Fewer people are willing to put a couple expensive graphic cards in their machines and spend the power and space on them versus sticking a tiny efficient USB device in their laptop.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 08:48:14 PM

I think Let's Talk Bitcoin covered the issue pretty well in Episodes 21 and 22. I've had the same beliefs for some time, and with the way the ASIC world is going, it is playing out. If the community doesn't step up and make the change, or at least have an open discussion on the issue, I see Bitcoin dead in less than a year.

Andreas is grossly wrong on this one.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 08:50:45 PM

Unless someone wealthy or an organization with a lot of resources manages to do a 51% attack (or simply become the most dominant mining entity) with their own in-house ASIC production, in which case a switch to scrypt could happen overnight.

The reason I say this is I consider it somewhat possible: as budget goes up linearly in an ASIC production enterprise, the output and efficiency goes up something more exponentially.  A big whale could do it, the way I see it.

i seriously doubt it.  they'd have to compete with Avalons chip shipments and they have made a conscious decision to disseminate them widely.  plus, Avalon makes more money doing it this way.
polarhei

Activity: 462

Firing it up

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 03:57:53 AM

Big project like this, not possible to modify method at the later stage. Also there is not only one
skull88

Activity: 683
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 04:25:14 AM

I think changing the algo would hurt it worser than the ASICs will (which won't hurt it imo). Undecided
Like someone mentioned already, if you want scrypt because you think Bitcoin will die due the ASIC's, get Litecoins.

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
Jazkal (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 04:35:13 AM

I think changing the algo would hurt it worser than the ASICs will (which won't hurt it imo). Undecided
Like someone mentioned already, if you want scrypt because you think Bitcoin will die due the ASIC's, get Litecoins.
I have. My GPU farm is pointed at Litecoin. I also have ASICs on order. But Bitcoin is my first love, and I hate to see it slowly commit suicide.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 04:43:02 AM

uh. "51%" has nothing to do with anything here.

This I wish this myth would just die.

You can fork Bitcoin easily.  Clone the github, make an incompatible change and publish it.  Assuming you have at least one node mining TADA you have forked Bitcoin.  You can do it with 1% of the hashing power or 99%. In either case two incompatible forks will exist.   Technically there would be two different "Bitcoins".  "Will the real Bitcoin please stand up?"

Now convincing people to use your fork over the original... well that is the tough problem.  It is a societal problem not a technological one. So for the OP example one could make a scrypt fork in probably less than a day.  Now how are you going to convince people to use it?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 04:51:34 AM

Andreas is grossly wrong on this one.

+1 Also didn't like the misquoting of Satoshi (or technically the Bitcoin paper).

Also the whole idea of some miners having "4, 5 magnitudes of efficiency over other miners" is just silly.  It won't happen.  If someone is that inefficient the competitive market means they simply will not mine.  They will use competitive hardware or they won't mine.  Competitive doesn't necessarily mean the absolute best.  If someone releases a 40nm ASIC it doesn't obsolete all other ASICSs.  Sure their resale value goes down, they are less competitive, they spend more per BTC on energy but they can still compete.  A 1 or 2 level process improvement (i.e. 110nm vs 85 vs 60 nm) doesn't produce a magnitude improvement.  In theory a 2x improvement in electrical efficiency and maybe a 1.5x improvement in capital efficiency however real world often falls short (even by major players like Intel and AMD).

So the question comes looking forward 18-24 months will ASICs be widely available from multiple sources competing in an open free market?  Nothing I have seen indicates it won't.  So instead of debating buying used AMD 5000 series cards vs the new HD 7970 it will be "should I buy this used BFL SC Single" or spend more on this next gen ASIC Miner board.

Can someone please articulate an argument that in 18-24 months there won't be multiple ASICs, reasonably available from multiple vendors.

jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 05:02:53 AM

A security researcher has predicted SHA 256 will be cracked this year.  When that happens the algorithm may change.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 05:04:30 AM

A security researcher has predicted SHA 256 will be cracked this year.  When that happens the algorithm may change.

Cite?  There are not even any "academic attacks" against SHA-2 at this time.  An academic attacking being a method which is faster than brute force but still computationally infeasible to exploit in the real world.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 05:05:07 AM

A security researcher has predicted SHA 256 will be cracked this year.  When that happens the algorithm may change.
Can I bet on that?
Jazkal (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 05:08:31 AM

So, If that should happen, someone could attack the block chain, and possibly mine the entire rest of the chain in a matter of days\weeks? Yeah, if that is the case, that would force a hard fork.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: