Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 03:33:03 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is like a precious commodity, but even better!  (Read 430 times)
grandinvestments (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 07:37:54 PM

Sorry, I'm a n00b to these forums, and this has probably been discussed many times, but I'm just so struck by how much BTC is like gold, silver, platinum, diamonds, etc.

• There is a finite amount of it in existence.
  • It has to be mined, which requires great effort.
  • Miners are rewarded.
  • We don't trust in it because a State tells us to, but rather because we, the people who use it, believe in it.

So, it's deflationary, yes!

But it gets even better.  Since there isn't more BTC in this physical place or in that, it shouldn't lead to the terrible sufferings of colonization and war.  Like, people can't get together and decide to violently take over a country (like the Boer and British settlers did in South Africa) to start exploiting the resources (including diamonds and gold) there.  And no one can decide to violently remove a people from their ancestral and sacred lands (like the US government did to the Lakota in the Black Hills of South Dakota) to extract gold from them.
The Bitcoin Catalog

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

The Bitcoin Catalog ---> Get Started!

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 08:44:57 PM

You got it  Wink
Welcome to the forum!

The Bitcoin Catalog: Second edition coming out in November! Click here for a  FREE pdf catalog!
Follow us on twitter! @BTCcatalog
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 08:50:03 PM

But it gets even better.  Since there isn't more BTC in this physical place or in that, it shouldn't lead to the terrible sufferings of colonization and war.  Like, people can't get together and decide to violently take over a country (like the Boer and British settlers did in South Africa) to start exploiting the resources (including diamonds and gold) there.  And no one can decide to violently remove a people from their ancestral and sacred lands (like the US government did to the Lakota in the Black Hills of South Dakota) to extract gold from them.

Never underestimate the nastiness people are capable of. All you are protecting is a private key, which I'm sure could be extracted from you by some real nefarious methods...

Plus there are still tangible resources other than bitcoin that people will always fight over, and we haven't even discussed religion yet!

Bitcoin is pretty damn cool, but not WW3 stopping if it came to that

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
grandinvestments (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 09:29:29 PM

You got it  Wink
Welcome to the forum!

Thank you!  I'm glad to be here.

Never underestimate the nastiness people are capable of. All you are protecting is a private key, which I'm sure could be extracted from you by some real nefarious methods...

Lol, that reminds me of this comic. . .

https://xkcd.com/538/

But hey, like Talib Kweli says. . .

When the cops ask you about your neighbors
Beat on you, threaten to incarcerate you
Till you spill your guts like you a Garcia Vega

. . .you gotta be loyal.  You gotta be strong.  You gotta remember that what finally broke Winston in 1984 was when he was being tortured and he said. . .

Do it to her!  Do it to Julia!  I don’t care what you do to her, but do it to her!  Tear her face off!  Do it to Julia, not to me!  DO IT TO JULIA!  DO IT TO JULIA!!!!  Not me!

You gotta remember that you don't ever want to feel like Winston did after he betrayed his love.

And I know what you're saying, but call me a cautious optimist: I hope Aldous Huxley was right.  I hope we can create an Island, even if it only phases in and out of temporal existence.

Conditioned from the cradle, unceasingly distracted, mesmerized systematically, their uniformed victims would go on obediently marching and countermarching, go on, always and everywhere, killing and dying with the perfect docility of trained poodles.  And yet in spite of the entirely justified refusal to take yes for an answer, the fact remained and would remain always, remain everywhere—the fact that there was this capacity even in a paranoiac for intelligence, even in a devil worshiper for love; the fact that the ground of all being could be totally manifest in a flowering shrub, a human face; the fact that there was a light and that this light was also compassion.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: