Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:44:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how much would you risk?  (Read 1145 times)
chairforce1 (OP)

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 12:26:03 AM

i just graduated college in May and i have only an old car, 10 BTC, and maybe $5k in my bank account, oh and i have a $20,000 girard perregaux vintage 1945 style 18kt rose gold automatic watch with moon phase and an alligator strap. the watch sits in a safe, and often i forget i even have it. the thought of selling it for BTC crossed my mind a few times before, but now im wondering what other people would do. so...wtf?

if you are wondering how i aquired this watch, it was given to me by an interesting person who does not seem to care about material possessions.

and no i cant just ask for more money.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not. #yolo

-Epicuru$
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
1PFYcabWEwZFm2Ez5LGTx3ftz

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 12:32:02 AM

i just graduated college in May and i have only an old car, 10 BTC, and maybe $5k in my bank account, oh and i have a $20,000 girard perregaux vintage 1945 style 18kt rose gold automatic watch with moon phase and an alligator strap. the watch sits in a safe, and often i forget i even have it. the thought of selling it for BTC crossed my mind a few times before, but now im wondering what other people would do. so...wtf?

if you are wondering how i aquired this watch, it was given to me by an interesting person who does not seem to care about material possessions.

$20,000 girard perregaux vintage 1945 style 18kt rose gold automatic watch with moon phase and an alligator strap

Sell the watch, buy some gold (real, physical, .999 gold).
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 12:36:16 AM

Sell and buy BTC.  End Thread.
superduh

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 12:42:14 AM

sell watch regardless. what you need it for?

ok
superduh

Activity: 602

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 01:09:16 AM

sell watch regardless. what you need it for?

i dont need it for anything, i should sell it. ive only kept it this long because it is interesting and it is not going to depreciate. im leaning more toward selling it to put toward the down payment of an investment property that my friend and i have been writing up a business plan for, but lately i have been thinking of the huge returns an investment in BTC could have. the downside is that along with those huge returns is huge risk.

As for the first guy who posted, id rather invest in real estate than gold, but that has also crossed my mind too, especially with the drop in gold recently.

you can always diversify and split the money for different options

ok
Birdy

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 01:23:33 AM

you can always diversify and split the money for different options

This.
Don't put all of it in BTC, you will feel very uncomfortable every time Bitcoin price is tanking.
stash

Activity: 173

btcmy.net

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 01:37:52 AM

30% on gold 30% on bitcoins and balance let it be fiat on premium account. Then you can enjoy your life.

Tehtarik Fund : 1KxyB3iauJzLvDnZuchekGkB2D7p4UMvuq
BTCitcoin : Mathematical Logic to Eliminate Human Greed
tunafish

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 05:39:57 AM

If I had that much, $25K, to invest in bitcoin when I had my first chance to actually invest some "real" money in btc I'd have $200K right now....
If I had $25k to invest when I bought my first bitcoins and had no money to spare I'd have $600k worth right now...
If I had $25k to invest when I first heard of bitcoins and didn't know how to buy them and didn't (think) I had enough money to buy a worthwhile amount, I'd have $2.85 million.
My point?
What the fuck is that watch doing for you? I mean is it really giving you $20k worth of utility? If I were you I'd sell that thing for say 12k (or whatever the going rate is) on ebay or pawnshop or something and buy $5k in btc, $5k in stock, $2k toward bills, rent and groceries.
    Last year I used every extra cent I could buying bitcoin at $9-$14 each on average and my only regret is that I couldn't afford more....not that I didn't decide to buy more, or didn't cash out everything out at $250. I bought because I had a strong sense that since bitcoin never really went "mainstream" as far as news coverage and public awareness at that point and was still worth >$1; not to mention I had watched it go from $0.70 to $30 without any skin in the game and couldn't let that happen again. I'm not so sure the odds are as good this time around. However, I still have keep half my "play money"/investment $ in btc even while my returns on my stocks have been averaging out to a 100% return every 45 days. I'm with the school of thought that says, in two-ish years from today $5k worth of btc will either be worth about $10 or >$50,000. Still worth the risk to me at this point in the game. Spread the risk around but don't listen to anyone here telling you to get gold. The only kind of gold to get right now are put options on it(I've made %300 in the past two-three months betting against gold), the economy isn't about to tank anytime soon.
     Sorry to go all Gordon Gecko on your ass but... poor people like us don't have 20,000 dollar watches because we're poor and aren't willing to risk what we have to get (far)ahead... Sure, I admit I didn't sell my guitar to get more btc, but then again it's not locked up in a safe.

Feeling generous?
BTC: 1MiaKvvzhuCrbWJ2iXA9RceZfRpNDjwJTk
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 07:24:07 PM

30% on gold 30% on bitcoins and balance let it be fiat on premium account. Then you can enjoy your life.

This seems like a good way to go.  If the watch doesn't have sentimental value, though, now seems like a great time to sell it and start growing wealth.
AlexWaters

Activity: 77
Merit: 11

Twitter:@watersNYC

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:00:34 PM

100% - I'm assuming you're young and can afford to take risks Wink

neilol

Activity: 302

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:44:27 PM

Cocaine is a hell of a drug

TObject

Activity: 91

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:45:39 PM

No Student Loan? Compared to the rest of the nation – you are rich.

I would keep the watch until you are ready to start the business. Most new businesses fail, but if you do not – the upside potential is huge.

$20k is too little to start day trading on, as such, if you were to invest it, you would have to go long. And if all your money is tied up in long investments, what are you going to start the business with?
tunafish

Activity: 95

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 08:45:54 PM

i just graduated college in May and i have only an old car, 10 BTC, and maybe $5k in my bank account
if you are wondering how i aquired this watch, it was given to me

poor people like us don't have 20,000 dollar watches because we're poor

so without this watch that was given to me my net worth is probably $9k USD if i liquidated my car...and ur telling me im rich? damn

No i'm saying you(and me) are poor, which is why you wouldn't have a $20k watch under normal circumstances. Not trying to rip on you or anything i'm just saying poor---and by poor I pretty much mean anyone that can't afford to buy a $20k watch on a whim---people like us don't have the ability to buy such things because often we're too afraid to risk what little we have to get to that point. It's alot harder to get ahead in this country than it used to be but if you're young, don't have kids, and are willing to do some homework and take some risks you can still get ahead.

Seriously though, don't listen to anyone telling you to buy gold. If you decide to sell the watch and mix the funds between bitcoin and securities (stocks) then feel free to PM me or post here and I'll be happy to share whats in my portfolio and some strategies that have been going well for me.
Whatever you do just don't buy gold anytime in the next year.

Feeling generous?
BTC: 1MiaKvvzhuCrbWJ2iXA9RceZfRpNDjwJTk
neilol

Activity: 302

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 09:16:45 PM

Def do not buy gold. I'd even argue against buying stocks with that amount of money, to little to meaningfully diversify. Just go for 50% S&P midcap ETF or something with a moderate amount of risk. 50% into your SLB venture

GigaDice

Activity: 224

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 10:16:53 PM

I would personally never recommend putting all your eggs in one basket, especially when you're planning on investing your entire net worth and not just disposable income that you can afford losing.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 10:25:31 PM

Sell the special watch before any watch becomes a collectors item  Wink .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: