Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:10:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is "cryptocurrency" a good term?  (Read 1434 times)
SGMPhil

Activity: 111
Merit: 14

01010011 01000111 01001101

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 01:41:05 PM

e-currency would probably be a bit more appropriate but cryptocurrency sounds cooler Smiley

The Sergeant Major

3KHzidSnPjzrzM4HPetpWaFR4J8FVUdbmj

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
micky mou

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 03:11:08 PM

if you want your generation your nation updated
so you have to accept that fact
cryptocurrency is the most liking term in nowadays
akemi1487

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:48:21 PM

yes, this is the main fact! The term is what it is, and it is part of the history of Bitcoin, and maybee the history of world economy forever
Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 04:04:59 PM

Decentralized-Currency more appropriate?

Decentracurrency
Decentracoin
Decurrency
Detracurrency

chimcoin

Activity: 168
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 06:01:30 PM

I think there is a time when a new word is formed and becomes generally accepted and in used daily, This is also applicable to the word "cryptcurrency ". Now , consider word formation for example, word formation is the creation of a new word. Word formation is sometimes contrasted with semantic change, which is a change in a single word's meaning. A new use of an old word can be seen as a new word derived from an old one and identical to it in form.
In a nutshell, cryptcurrency as it is use today, is a word that has become generally accepted to it meaning and  we can't change it.
jmiro1

Activity: 235
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 06:34:50 PM

I agree that the "Crypto" word is not fully suitable with it but you are wrong about the word "Currency". Currency is not a "Narrow" economical term, currency is a revolution to the economy. And the purpose of these decentralized money is currency, yes they are currency. These are currency at the end no matter how you put it. It's online unit, it's blah blah blah,, but it's currency. Currency is strong strong strong part of the economy. You should realize it.
arrmia11

Activity: 406
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 05:49:10 AM

Recently I've started thinking that the word "cryptocurrency" does a pretty poor job at describing what it's all about. The "crypto" part does not describe the main properties - decentralization and openness, cryptography is simply a tool for achieving them, and doesn't necessarily bring those properties. "Currency" is a pretty narrow economic term, which refers to money in active circulation, but in our case we have digital units that can have many use cases and most notably they allow building applications on top of them. The "currency" part is also used by opponents to claim that they are in fact inherently worthless by pointing out their high volatility and lack of scalability - two factors that indeed make them almost unusable for daily transactions for average user at the moment.

Thoughts?

I dont care what is the term did the founder used in describing this kind of development. For as long as it doesn't violate the rules I'm okay with it. And the people are already used to it. They already accepted the word cryptocurrency fully and there is nothing wrong with that. More and more people are engaging cryptocurrency and if you are going to change that people might confuse or misinterpret it.

warning_btc

Activity: 378
Merit: 11

Decentralized Digital Billboards

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 05:52:56 AM

Yes i am agree with mean what cryptocurrency is scary word, Crypto - imself first time will be confus, but i dont have better term in my mind

Intellectual Romanticist

Activity: 283
Merit: 23

TEU - bitcoin for shipping ICO: 15/Mar - 12/Apr

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2018, 07:20:57 AM

Recently I've started thinking that the word "cryptocurrency" does a pretty poor job at describing what it's all about. The "crypto" part does not describe the main properties - decentralization and openness, cryptography is simply a tool for achieving them, and doesn't necessarily bring those properties. "Currency" is a pretty narrow economic term, which refers to money in active circulation, but in our case we have digital units that can have many use cases and most notably they allow building applications on top of them. The "currency" part is also used by opponents to claim that they are in fact inherently worthless by pointing out their high volatility and lack of scalability - two factors that indeed make them almost unusable for daily transactions for average user at the moment.

Thoughts?

Do we always have to name something based on its properties?

Bitcoin was intended to be a storage of value that can replace Fiat money - hence it is called a currency.
Bitcoin is based on cryptography so it called a crypto-currency.

Let me give you an example.
Bicycle. Cycle - means round. Bi - means two or dual.
Bicycles were fast, at least, when they were first invented, they were the fastest mode of transport for man.
They were made of wood and/or metal.

So what do we call them? Do we call them fastmetalcycle? Do we call them bifastwood or biquickwoodcycle?

When naming things, people do NOT have to consider all qualities and functions of that thing.

Intellectual Romanticist
Intelligence Wisdom Courage Honor Integrity Consistency Strength Perseverance Romance
Abe Token | Ethereum Limited | Citereum | Bitcoin One | ExpressCoin
reliable

Activity: 868
Merit: 151

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 12:23:11 PM

I think the term is very hard for new comers to understand, and the term blockchain would be even harder.

But the word sticks in your mind, "Cryptooo" so I think it's a good term to be used.

I think cypto is generally used as a short term for the cypto currency and also it is the initial name which has being given and the appropriate for as already being kept. Their is no point now to even think if we want to change or no as nothing is going to happen now. Just thing this is the best name initiated for the relevant terms being used.

onnz423

Activity: 840
Merit: 508

Make winning bets on sports with Sportsbet.io!

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 02:31:45 PM

What would you rather call it then? Digital gold? Virtual palladium? The moniker given to cryptos will not affect their success, and few people think of the literal meaning of a word before using it. We live in a world where people say hunded instead of hundred, and you think people are going to criticise BTC because of its name?

▄▄██████▄▄
  ████████████
███▄▄
 ██████████████▀▀▀██▄
████████████████   ▀██▄
████████████████     ▀██
██████████████       ██▌
██████████████        ▐██
██▌▀▀██████▀▀         ▐██
▐██                   ██▌
 ██▄                 ▄██
  ▀██▄             ▄██▀
    ▀██▄▄▄     ▄▄▄██▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

███████████████████████████
████████▀▀       ▀▀████████
█████▀   ▄ ▀███▀ ▄   ▀█████
████  ▄████▄ ▀ ▄████▄  ████
███  ▄ ▀███▀ ▄ ▀███▀ ▄  ███
██  ▄██ ▀▀ ▄███▄ ▀▀ ██▄  ██
██  █▀ ▄█ ███████ █▄ ▀█  ██
██   ▄███▄ █████ ▄███▄   ██
███  ████▀ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀████  ███
████  ▀ ▄ ▀█████▀ ▄ ▀  ████
█████▄  ▀▀▄ ███ ▄▀▀  ▄█████
████████▄▄       ▄▄████████
███████████████████████████

█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
Crypto Girl

Activity: 980
Merit: 294

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 02:47:45 PM

The term cryptocurrency derived from the word cryptography, the mathematical method of creating a cryptocurrency and i think it's the most accurate term to be use, but yes there are some term that can be put to call them like  altcoins, virtual currency etc... but it's difficult to change the term since it is already used to address these currencies in general.

I use this provider to trade Cryptos : Bitcoin Revolution
ohzeih5n

Activity: 121
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:04:46 PM

I was thinking the same as you. I think that most of the people that don't believe in these currencies are afraid of the term "crypto"
I think that if we remove it that could be better. Because we will be compared to euro usd yen and other currencies but the problem of those coins that they are volatile..

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
elisforciel

Activity: 8

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:41:08 PM

It does sounds like kryptonite, which is kinda negative. But if people have the time to research more about it, it has its pros and cons. For instance, cryptocurrency is the digital medium for secured funds transaction. It has an ensuring feeling that there people who designed and willing to modulate this kind of stuff. So for the cons, there are trust worthy people that could handle it even if we don't see them, also the person must be aware of the risks. Rather wandering if it is righteous or not? The term is there and means what it needs to be, it's up to people if it sounds kryptonite or not. If they researched about it, maybe they would be invested to the wonders of cryptography and so on.
mtemur

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 08:45:48 AM

кpиптoвaлютa coзвyчeй cлoв в пoлнe нopмaльнoe, тaк пo мнe мoжeт yжe кaк тo yлoжилocь в гoлoвe этo coзвyчиe))
shinjunobi09

Activity: 126
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 11:43:10 AM

I think the word crypto is kinda may sense as part of the development and technological part of our generations today because crypto kind fits in with currency and it's kinda in rhythm with the encryption part of the computer world today because in cryptocurrency we may not be safe from scammers and fraudsters but at least we are encrypted from the intervention of government and third parties.

mharz

Activity: 336
Merit: 260

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 11:30:22 PM

I think the word crypto is kinda may sense as part of the development and technological part of our generations today because crypto kind fits in with currency and it's kinda in rhythm with the encryption part of the computer world today because in cryptocurrency we may not be safe from scammers and fraudsters but at least we are encrypted from the intervention of government and third parties.
Yes it is, crypto currency is a good terms, especially to mellenials, because people like mellenials are believe that all will gonna be easy. Thru technology everything gonna be happen.

Most of the people wants all transactions easier but effective, they want that in a blink of an eye all transactions will gonna be come true.
cerealnac

Activity: 27

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 01:22:37 AM

It's now part of the lexicon, so it would take an effort to change it. I don't find it to be a terrible name as the term is synonymous with security and anonymity which are the features that are attempting to be solved with a lot of the coins on the market.
nickmax

Activity: 140

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:18:27 AM

Thoughts?

I agree that the cryptocurrency is not the best term, and it frightens some people. But everyone is used to it and it will be difficult to find a replacement for him.
AdTraxis

Activity: 43

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 09:23:54 AM

The term 'cryptocurrency' is good enough due to it's uniqueness. There are lots of Google searches on the word as many people are eager to find out what this weird word means.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: