Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:43:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is "cryptocurrency" a good term?  (Read 1436 times)
MCVXYZ

Activity: 630
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 10:47:35 AM

The term 'cryptocurrency' is good enough due to it's uniqueness. There are lots of Google searches on the word as many people are eager to find out what this weird word means.

Its not good term for ethereum,because its blockchain based platform which has an ability to create your own application,by ETH we can tokenization of real economy.its smart contract platform and not currency,despite the fact that we have wallets as for contracts as our own, the main idea is not that it will be currency,it serves to create something cool and not to send money.smart contracts have program languages for example LLL,Serpent,solidity which of currency has it? So,for me its not currency its opportunity to create blockchain based applications and not only this.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Pei

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 08:31:44 AM

Cryptocurrency is the correct term to be used for the digital currency as it is used as an online currency which can transacted from any part of the world without a third party involvement, cryptocurrency run through the cryptography network which makes the digital currency to reach the destination at the right time.
Bonakid

Activity: 224
Merit: 121

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:51:21 AM
Merited by mharz (2)

Cryptocurrency is an online currency that we can use to pay our bills and other online bills that we can pay using btc.But some people afraid to invest in crypto due to lack of knowledge about it ,they are afraid of loosing money when they engage on it.
efly01

Activity: 5

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 02:27:36 PM

I don't think you will be able to change it, it has now entered into the language of the internet. It's like "blockchain", blockchain is now a specific subset of the original concept of chained blocks, and it contains many extra features.
Smiley
FoBoT

Activity: 658
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 08:17:38 AM

For that fact that the two words combination forming Cryptocurrency are pretty good and are generally accepted globally in their various function, I gave it my vote as good term as well. Crypto which mean hidden facts and currency which is any real or feasible item globally or unilaterally accepted as a medium for goods and services exchange in their community of operates are adoring words. The legitimacy about Bitcoin trading on line had far gone to the extent that changing cryptocurrency for another term might tantamount to discretely affecting its functionality.
tricker01

Activity: 140
Merit: 20

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 01:40:54 PM

Recently I've started thinking that the word "cryptocurrency" does a pretty poor job at describing what it's all about. The "crypto" part does not describe the main properties - decentralization and openness, cryptography is simply a tool for achieving them, and doesn't necessarily bring those properties. "Currency" is a pretty narrow economic term, which refers to money in active circulation, but in our case we have digital units that can have many use cases and most notably they allow building applications on top of them. The "currency" part is also used by opponents to claim that they are in fact inherently worthless by pointing out their high volatility and lack of scalability - two factors that indeed make them almost unusable for daily transactions for average user at the moment.

Thoughts?
Well for me , I dont think the term "cryptocurrency"  needed to be change anymore. It has been known by many investors as that, and they already adopted that kind of terminology so I dont see any point in changing it base on its origin meaning. Cryptocurrency are already known as the world wide online currency, means ita the present why not just supoort it. So that it could bring us economy to improve.
swisstortue

Activity: 28

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 02:37:10 PM

Recently I've started thinking that the word "cryptocurrency" does a pretty poor job at describing what it's all about. The "crypto" part does not describe the main properties - decentralization and openness, cryptography is simply a tool for achieving them, and doesn't necessarily bring those properties. "Currency" is a pretty narrow economic term, which refers to money in active circulation, but in our case we have digital units that can have many use cases and most notably they allow building applications on top of them. The "currency" part is also used by opponents to claim that they are in fact inherently worthless by pointing out their high volatility and lack of scalability - two factors that indeed make them almost unusable for daily transactions for average user at the moment.

Thoughts?
Well for me , I dont think the term "cryptocurrency"  needed to be change anymore. It has been known by many investors as that, and they already adopted that kind of terminology so I dont see any point in changing it base on its origin meaning. Cryptocurrency are already known as the world wide online currency, means ita the present why not just supoort it. So that it could bring us economy to improve.

totally agree with you we should continue to share the same message to make our community greater
Jackypot

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2018, 07:47:21 PM

I think they used that term for new people in the subject to know what they're talking about, like Crypto that is Cryptography that represents encrypted or coded and currency that is money, what comes to mind is an encrypted currency or a coded currency in network Smiley
skyflakes88

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

▰▰ ARENA SPACE ▰▰

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:10:03 PM

It would be pretty hard to change the term now it might sounds jargonic but the knowledge has been spread and its like killing another faith because it seems odd to your perspective. Their is more to learn in the digital world it only shows that not all are prepared to enter this world they only want something for their own and not for the industry.

darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1346

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 10:56:26 PM

I don't see anything wrong with the term, especially that you're not offering a substitute.  The term is already established, like others have mentioned, and it's performing well as it's easy to pronounce and unique.
The "currency" part is also used by opponents to claim that they are in fact inherently worthless by pointing out their high volatility and lack of scalability - two factors that indeed make them almost unusable for daily transactions for average user at the moment.

The opponents will always find something to criticize. You make another term and they will start by saying that you are running from the term currency because you know it's not one and can't be used in this form (which of course is not true).

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Shiidoshen1997

Activity: 30

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 02:46:31 AM

"Crypto" word does not describe the main properties, decentralization and openness, cryptography is simply a tool for achieving them, and doesn't necessarily bring those properties. Crypto that is Cryptography that represents encrypted or coded and currency that is money, what comes to mind is an encrypted currency
EtherSpin
Copper Member

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 03:51:45 AM

Cryptocurrency or digital currency. But it seems like cryptocurrency will stick as a term!
DispatchLabs

Activity: 420
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2018, 07:12:48 AM

Right now it is too late to call it anything but crypto currency, but as language continues to evolve the definition of the word cryptocurrency will continue to evolve with it.  Just like the word "literally" has now taken on the meaning of figuratively to fit with the use of the word, cryptocurrency will continue to evolve to fit the meaning that people have given it.  The word may not seem 100% accurate now, but it will become what the world wants it to be.

Dispatch Labs is a Distributed Ledger Technology Platform for Dapp Developers that is truly scalable, insanely fast with no transaction fees.
bilal_jan321

Activity: 308
Merit: 21

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 04:06:23 PM

Thoughts?

every innovation in the start was not accepted, same holds true for cryptocurrency as well. In start, no body took it seriously so whoever named it cryptocurrency, was accepted. but it serves the purpose and is valid as well.

████████████████            1 x B i t . c o m         |         THE WORLD CUP ADVENTURE            ████████████████
[  7 BTC WELCOME BONUS  ] [      1 BTC PRIZE FUND      ]
████████████████            ██                           P L A Y   N O W                           ██            ████████████████
jademacoy

Activity: 224
Merit: 8

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 12:50:24 AM

Yes that is the right word to describe the digital currency and it is not a decentralized word to describe the digital currency. The word crypto means to encrypt data for bitcoin. That is the challenge for mining bitcoin. These crypto word are the data were being made in a unique manner so that it will not compromise its value which makes the bitcoin to be more secured. You need to decrypt all of these data before you get the bitcoin. And these process could take several days, weeks or months to decrypt the data. So which means crypto is a word which could not be compromise the bitcoin value so does the decryption of the bitcoin data.
temdevs

Activity: 39

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2018, 10:57:06 AM

You are at some point right but now even if it isn't very explicit people are aware of what it defines. At this time the term "cryptocurrrency" is understood as the digital currency and all the free and decentralized aspect are somehow linked to the word.
Shwester

Activity: 111

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:13:44 AM

yes, I think so Grin Smiley
atomicgroup

Activity: 370
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 01:28:27 PM

I do not see any wrong in the term ''CRPTOCURRENCY" .It is the term being used from inception of Bitcoin that denotes all what the Digital money on line entails. It proves that the currency in question is a kind of ecrypted money which is anonymously /secured from being scammed or cheated unless with carelessness . It also shows that another type of special currency exist somewhere which can also be used for goods and services but with modification.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 01:45:19 PM

at least it beats virtual currency which is a term i find seriously annoying.

there's lots of terminology that isn't actually a very good fit when you think about its literal meaning. having said that cryptography is one of the key foundations of what makes bitcoin possible so it's not a totally frivolous name.

like so many other things it's too late now to change it and at least satoshi himself came up with the term. that's good enough for me.
atrocityx

Activity: 336
Merit: 71

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:12:20 PM

I don't like the word Cyptocurrency at all, and I agree with you, it doesn't really describe the coins/market/use cases very well... not even bitcoin imo.  Bitcoin's two major use cases to me are store of value and a liaison between USD and other coins as a go through... Currency implies that it is indeed a currency and works as a digital money where as in my opinion atleast in the common use of this term it does not.... 1) its too volatile to bused as a currency 2) its too slow for everyday purchases as a currency and 3) too high of fees (atleast with bitcoin) to be used as an everyday currency.. atleast until lightning network is out. The problem for me comes in the question of "What is a better term?"  Is Cryptocommodity any better? is Blockchain Coins any better? The thing cryptocurrency has going for it is the name atleast flows correctly and doesn't sound like two words forced together like some of the other things that would describe it better... What about Digital Assets?  Kind of really broad but atleast sounds decent... oh well I guess at the end of the day it is what it is, but I wish I could go back in time and ask the people at meeting deciding general names that they spend a bit longer and really think about what the name implies and how it can be abused by the media and skeptics.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: