Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:38:33 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: when will 3D die?  (Read 1305 times)
ecrick3 (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:14:31 AM

I hate the entire concept of a 3D movie.
I deliberately avoided 3D movies since it all started a few years ago.
I absolutely hate the movie that started it all, Avatar, which I will never ever watch or want to watch.
I hate it because I can't find a cinema to watch The Avengers in 2D.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4668

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:27:22 AM

When will "talkies" die?

I hate the entire concept of a "talking" movie.
I deliberately avoided "talkies" since it all started a century ago.
I absolutely hate the "talkie" that started it all, "The Jazz Singer", which I will never ever watch or want to watch.
I hate it because I can't find a cinema to watch The Avengers as a silent film.

Huh

Welcome to the future.  Technology marches on.
Synethstesia

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:36:28 AM

I hear you, the 3D is pretty gimmicky... I suppose it will die when people stop paying $16.75 to buy their kid a 3D movie ticket. Now full immersion 3D - i.e. Oculus Rift - is what I'm waiting for  Cool
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 08:46:13 AM

Are you talking about 3D glasses or 3D Animation? I'm with you on the 3D glasses one because it is entirely a gimmick, I feel the same way about touchscreen phones, eventually people will get sick of them want want reliable buttons back that won't ruin their screens.
Arnold

Activity: 1

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 09:12:05 AM

Well, I read about sport 3D tv channels that already died. IMHO 3D TV is just a gimmick as someone said and it's tiring for many people. Most people can watch one movie in that glasses and they're done.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 10:06:08 AM

If you think Avatar was the movie that started the 3D craze, you're wrong. 3D movie crazes have been coming and going for over half a century. Don't worry, the present craze will die out soon enough, just like it did all the other times. But it'll keep coming back.

When will "talkies" die?
The only reason talkies ever caught on was because theatres figured out a way for patrons to hear sound without having to wear uncomfortable headphones. Though that was a very easy problem to solve compared to the problem faced by 3D movies. I don't think 3D movies are ever going to become anything other than a gimmick until someone figures out a way to do it without the glasses.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Anillos

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 11:51:11 AM

I hate the entire concept of a 3D movie.
I deliberately avoided 3D movies since it all started a few years ago.
I absolutely hate the movie that started it all, Avatar, which I will never ever watch or want to watch.
I hate it because I can't find a cinema to watch The Avengers in 2D.

I hate the entire concept of a color movie.
I deliberately avoided color movies since it all started a few years ago.
I absolutely hate the movie that started it all, With Our King and Queen Through India, which I will never ever watch or want to watch.
I hate it because I can't find a cinema to watch Man of Steel in 2D.

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

PS: If You don't like 3D, don't watch it. But remember that there is people who like it.

Aquí puedes conseguir pequeños ahorros sin mucho esfuerzo: http://www.bitvisitor.com/?ref=1PWNAGEZ3fSM8QevUavdd2iZ9F5jkp1QHZ
Consigue algo más viendo vídeos o haciendo pequeñas tareas en Bitcoinget.com: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178692.msg2509190#msg2509190
¿necesitas un dibujo vectorial, un esquema, un diagrama...? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=183268.0
Chode

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 12:02:33 PM

PS: If You don't like 3D, don't watch it. But remember that there is people who like it.

The problem is that the people who don't like it are left without a choice most of the time.
Many cinemas prefer to show only the 3D version of a movie and leaving the ones like me who hate it with passion without the opportunity to watch the movie at all...
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4668

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 12:04:10 PM

The problem is that the people who don't like it are left without a choice most of the time.
Many cinemas prefer to show only the 3D version of a movie and leaving the ones like me who hate it with passion without the opportunity to watch the movie at all...

http://www.2d-glasses.com/
Chode

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 12:10:28 PM

That's neat but one still has to pay the higher price for a ticket.
The only reason I was going to cinemas was to support the movie industry... at least for the titles I liked... but since they prefer to discriminate, nowadays I just watch a pirated version of what I think I'll like...
Apollo28

Activity: 4

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 12:14:01 PM

I used to have an EVO 3D (it was a phone with a 3D screen/camera) and it was cool to show off to other people, but that was about it. I personally enjoy 3D movies, but IMAX is definitely better.
Birdy

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 12:43:05 PM

What I hate about it is that I don't really care about the 3D effect (it's more a gimmick atm), but most movies are only aviable in 3D and way more expensive than they were before.
pontiacg5

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 01:45:55 PM

I have a passive 3d TV, and a 120Hz 3d PC monitor running Nvidia 3d Vision 2.

3d vision blows any 3d I've seen clean outta the water, even the dual projector theater stuff. Real 1080p @ 60Hz makes a difference compared to home 3d TVs, plus running 120Hz in 2d mode is real cool too. Takes a hell of a lot of horsepower to play games in 3d though...

I don't think the 3d "fad" is dying this time, and the theater 3d is a hell of a lot less "gimmicky" than any previous 3d, ya'll better get used to it  Cheesy

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 01:56:25 PM

The current tech sucks (although Avatar was probably the best use of it).

The glasses make the screen "dull" (like wearing sunglasses) and also actually make the movies look "faker" than they normally would do (IMO).

I thought that The Hobbit and Iron Man 3 would have been much better in 2D (the use of the 3D affects were limited in both anyway).

Yes it is a gimmick with slightly new tech (the old tech was the "coloured glasses" which I watched Amytiville 3 in back when I was a teenager).

I also hope that this new 3D fad dies fast - apart from the extra price to see a movie that there is no choice to see a 2D version of (and I am not interested in wearing some stupid 3D to 2D glasses that will also act like sunglasses) it simply adds no enjoyment to the movie at all.

When there is *true* 3D (i.e. no stupid glasses) then that will be an advance that could be worth watching.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Wubwig

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 03:57:39 PM

It all depends how you use it, if its used as a gimmick it will suck, but it can also be used to add a lot of depth (lol). I want to see Pacific Rim, I heard that has some great 3D
Book

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 04:02:50 PM

I agree with this pretty much. I have actually taken a look at 3D before and I will be honest I thought it was alright and I would consider watching a movie in 3D, but would I buy a 3d monitor and 3d nvidia glasses for my PC? No way. 3D how it is now is not the future.
RickBrown

Activity: 4

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 04:38:29 PM

Grin ummm Captain EO, hands down the best 3D film ever! Grin
pontiacg5

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 05:38:26 PM

I agree with this pretty much. I have actually taken a look at 3D before and I will be honest I thought it was alright and I would consider watching a movie in 3D, but would I buy a 3d monitor and 3d nvidia glasses for my PC? No way. 3D how it is now is not the future.

Really?

I paid $220 for a 24" 1ms gtg 144Hz Asus monitor, 3d ready. 144Hz in 2d looks epic, especially in games. The glasses and transmitter I found used for $80 bucks.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I don't mind spending $80 bucks to play with some cool new technology. I don't count the cost of the monitor, after having the crazy refresh rate I'd never go without.

Nvidia found it profitable enough to keep development going on 3dvision, for whatever that's worth. There's two versions in the wild now.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
tacoman71

Activity: 320

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:16:14 PM

I hear you, the 3D is pretty gimmicky... I suppose it will die when people stop paying $16.75 to buy their kid a 3D movie ticket. Now full immersion 3D - i.e. Oculus Rift - is what I'm waiting for  Cool
I think this is what you're looking for. It's been on the market for about a year or two. http://www.sony.co.uk/product/personal-3d-viewer/hmz-t2

Feeling generous? Like my post? Leave a tip at BTC: 1NZJ8cceqEiKDZGAJged2vNGCyfFMUEYPt
pickitlickit

Activity: 6

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 11:53:48 AM

I hate 3d movies as well.  I refuse to see them unless it's Captian EO at disneyland.  They say that's 4d though WTF?  when did having theater effects add another dimension?  Whats your opinion on premium luxury movie theaters like cinepolis?  If your not familiar with them just look at the cinepolic website and you can see what it's about.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: