Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:55:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recovering Litecoin wallet from 2014  (Read 398 times)
AntoshaMiner (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 02:10:10 PM

Hi guys
In early 2014 I bought lightcoins and as the price did not grow I forgot about them.
Now I found the wallet file (litecoin.dat), but I can not remember what wallet I used at the time.
Electrum ltc writes "can not read file"
Litecoin core writes "file is too big"

How can I restore access?
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2017, 02:18:48 PM

Hi guys
In early 2014 I bought lightcoins and as the price did not grow I forgot about them.
Now I found the wallet file (litecoin.dat), but I can not remember what wallet I used at the time.

There aren't that many litecoin desktop wallet's (AFAIK, i don't hold many LTC's). Since it has a .dat extention, my first instinct would be to re-try litecoin core... Maybe you could post the last couple dozen lines of your debug.log, or just move the debug.log, try to open the client using the litcoin.dat as wallet file (so a new debug.log gets generated), close the client again, then upload the full debug.log, so we can have a look at what's happening.

Another usefull tool is db_dump, this tool allows you to dump berkeley db files, altough encryption might mess up the end result...

Just in case you're running linux, it might also be good to try the command "file litecoin.dat". At least it will tell us what kind of file we're dealing with.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
AntoshaMiner (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 03:25:15 PM

My mistake was that I was trying to open a wallet file through "open URI" thats why it was error.
Now I have replaced the wallet file in the main folder and after 15 minutes of loading it shows that I have zero balance on all wallets and no transactions.
I want to believe that this is some kind of mistake. Coins should be there.
How else can i try?

ps im using windows 10 and have no idea what db_dump is. Sorry.
Poloherb

Activity: 449
Merit: 251

CryptoPhysical.com

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2017, 08:41:20 PM

If you install litecoin-core wallet from https://litecoin.org/
After installation find your wallet location - In Windows: (%APPDATA%\Litecoin) OR for example : C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Litecoin  ( files can be hidden https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files )
Replace the wallet.dat in that folder with one of the backups you have (always keep the intact copy)

"wallet file (litecoin.dat)" this is not the correct name for litecoin-wallet, rename for (wallet.dat)

minersday

Activity: 1484
Merit: 535

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 09:06:49 PM

Guy you are so lucky, may i know how many litecoins have you bought before?

I will suggest you to download the whole blockchain on your computer (far as i know, it is a big archive, more than 100gb)

And then import your wallet.dat to your litecoin core

But far as i know, there was a command that you could put in the console of litecoin core, and it was going to give you the private key of your wallet.dat..

I dont remember, but look for it on the internet.

And if you get the private key, you can import it to electrum or in litecoin core too.
Poloherb

CryptoPhysical.com

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2017, 10:49:19 PM

Bitcoin blockchain size  154 Gb
Litecoin blockchain size 7,5 Gb
You probably thought about this https://litecoin.com/#wallets

mmo4me.2016

Activity: 812
Merit: 256

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 01:39:35 AM

Hi guys

You need to remember the Wallet.dat file of any wallet software! If false, of course will not open and not supported!
Usually during this time only Litcoin core
AntoshaMiner (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 05:57:57 PM
Last edit: December 13, 2017, 06:08:49 PM by AntoshaMiner

1. Replaced the wallet file at litecoincore. Shows the zero balance. I suspect that the wallet file is empty (the size is exactly 64 KB - I do not know whether the empty wallets are smaller or not)
2. I found the seed phrase for litecoin - I inserted it through electrum LTC. Shows zero balance.
3. I found my old account from btc-e which I used. There is also zero.

It seems that I lost all my litecoins.
They were there about 100-600, which at the current price is 30,000$ -200,000$

It hurts.
AntoshaMiner (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 06:13:54 PM

1. I have the computer on which Original litecoin core was installed. But I can not run it, because the version is very outdated.
2. I have several seed phrases from those times, but none of them in the electrum gives results. Are there other wallets where you can recover by the seed phrase?

What else can I do? is there any hope?
Poloherb

CryptoPhysical.com

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2017, 10:14:07 PM

If you have still private key you can import to litecoin core wallet. open wallet go to debug window -> console " importprivkey YourPrivateKeyHere" you must wait until the network is synchronized then in 100% you will know your account balance.
Old computer if you can run system, make copy wallet.dat or export private key in console. If you typed "help" in console you will see a list commands. Next option is to take drive (hdd) and install to another computer, then you will have access to files saved from the old computer. (option in windows system)
https://electrum-ltc.org/  electrum wallet
Always check addresses if transactions were made at the address.
For further help we need more information from you.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: