Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 11:39:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to turn an old pc into a mining rig. NVIDIA GeForce 210. Need help :(  (Read 760 times)
EckhartJV (OP)

Activity: 90
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 03:27:21 PM

My old pc has NVIDIA GeForce 210 and Windows 10 64 bit.

I installed:

Visual Studio Express Community Edition 2017
Visual C++ redistributable package 2017
CUDA toolkit (of what could be installed, I didn't have visual something or other installed, so I couldn't install a few features)

I got the latest version of ethminer zip and made a batchfile with the prompt -U -F miningpool/mywallet. . . but it said "ethminer has stopped working" Tried the -G switch too, same thing.

I tried to see if Claymore would be any different. . . and I made a batchfile for it, but it said it couldn't detect CUDA or NVIDIA GPU

I get that my video card sux, but MY GAWD CAN THESE PROGRAMS EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE ITS EXISTENCE?? It has like 2gb.

I just want to learn how to mine and get my feet wet. I know i won't be pulling in a lot of coins, but I really just want to get the process done successfully so I know what to do when I decide to invest in a more expensive setup... PLs just give me a chance Sad.

I got the latest version of DDU and wiped the NVIDIA drivers and then did a fresh install of the latest driver -- still no dice for both ethminer or claymore.

Pls help Sad
Kronos21

Activity: 434
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 03:40:29 PM

To learn mining, you should have the actual equipment. Many existing algorithms do not support your GPU. It seems to me that 2GB is only available for cryptonight algorithm. Maybe you need to find a site similar nicehash which will automatically test your equipment. But I don't know of such sites.
EckhartJV (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 03:45:45 PM

Can cryptonight mine eth and etc? Smiley
shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2017, 03:51:53 PM

Haha I got the same Geforce 210 in my PC. Actually that PC is for my work, but even if it's not the case, I dont think it could mine or worth to mine any coin.
EckhartJV (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 03:55:59 PM

Haha I got the same Geforce 210 in my PC. Actually that PC is for my work, but even if it's not the case, I dont think it could mine or worth to mine any coin.
yeah. . . u know. it's not about profiting. It's just that I want to set up the software so I understand how to do it successfully. I'm not going to buy a $700 gfx card if I don't know if I'm even capable of setting it up right. . .

This is supposed to be a test run.

BlomBaster

Activity: 234
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 03:58:36 PM

Mine on such old equipment does not make sense, the price of electricity will be more expensive than income
parisbitcoin

Activity: 39

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 04:27:58 PM

The GeForce 210 card won't do anything really.... you're wasting your time. Monero mining might be the only one to work (and wouldn't be really profitable)
the setup itself is straightforward, just get a GTX 1060 or RX 570, setup the drivers, and run the miner
nanopool.org's help section gives you links to download the mining software and sample configs if you want to start there...
ronnylov

Activity: 276
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 05:29:35 PM

What is your CPU model? There are some coins that can be mined with CPU. For instance Credits, Yenten, Aeon, Intense coin and Monero. But even for CPU mining you would need not too old CPU. AVX instructions help when CPU mining.

But as other already told you buying some modern GPUs would work.

★★★ LETHEAN ★★★
BLOCKCHAIN BACKED DECENTRALISED P2P VPN
MediumTwitterDiscordRedditFacebookWhitepaperBitcointalk Ann
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 05:58:21 PM

Can cryptonight mine eth and etc? Smiley

You need a card with 3gb RAM or more to mine ETH/ETC

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
EckhartJV (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 08:04:33 AM

Are you guys all trying to say that ethminer and claymore won't work with my card? Or are you just saying it's not profitable?

Again, I don't care about the profit. I just want it to work so I can say I can successfully setup mining. It has nothing to do with profit.

I just need a clear answer on this. . .
5bot

Activity: 36

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 09:15:29 AM

Are you guys all trying to say that ethminer and claymore won't work with my card? Or are you just saying it's not profitable?

Again, I don't care about the profit. I just want it to work so I can say I can successfully setup mining. It has nothing to do with profit.

shouldnt you probly google for this information bro?
Branko

Activity: 2478
Merit: 318

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 09:42:42 AM

Of course you can...my 6 year old daughter did it, its not complicated
xenomorphe1

Activity: 798
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 09:55:32 AM

It is impossible to mine ETH with your equipment. With my Geforce GTX 1080, i would be able to mine 1.4 ETH in one year with the current difficulty. But as every day/hour the difficulty is increasing, i think it would be more like 1 ETH. I stopped mining ETH as it was becoming too difficult and not so profitable. Try to mine other coins. Maybe you can mine ETN or Sumokoin? You won't get a lot but it should be mineable i think.
EckhartJV (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 10:09:37 AM

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but in my original post I specified the painstaking steps I went through. I literally went through a whole afternoon and night installing/uninstalling/reading wiki.

I installed all those components, but ethminer and claymore were still not working.
EckhartJV (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 10:12:51 AM

shouldn't you read the thread your posting in bro?
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 12:17:01 PM

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but in my original post I specified the painstaking steps I went through. I literally went through a whole afternoon and night installing/uninstalling/reading wiki.

I installed all those components, but ethminer and claymore were still not working.

seriously wiki? that's all you've looked at, you need to do more research and ill tell you why. if you do more research youll find out your current hardware WILL NOT WORK, its too old and even if it would work it wouldn't make you squat. so only thing that's left for you to do is DO MORE RESEARCH and get better hardware.

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
Branko

Activity: 2478
Merit: 318

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 01:54:35 PM

Not been sarcastic, I just bought her a proper card...what I wanted to say, you lost enough time that if you instead did something
to earn money instead, you could buy proper card already...didn't even have to spend that much, $100 for used RX560 4GB
that she can play Sims 3 when not mining
MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 04:35:18 PM
Last edit: December 10, 2017, 10:19:41 AM by MagicSmoker

I just started mining a week ago so I am probably a bit more sympathetic to the OP here.

The short answer is that a GeForce 210 is way too weak to run anything. My old Win 7 PC has a GTX 460 and none of the mining software I've tried will run on it, either, and it is technically a bit more powerful. EDIT - LOL... my old 460 is about 15x more powerful...

My newer Win 10 PC has a GTX 1050 Ti which seems to be about the lowest graphics card that can run any of the major mining algorithms as it is both modern and has 4GB, though not necessarily at a speed that is worth the bother. However, because it isn't terribly desirable for mining you can still get them for a reasonable price; a new one is about 150-160USD while a used one just popped up (and sold) on OfferUp for 130USD.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any [edit] used card that is or was popular for mining because it will: A) be way overpriced; B) have been ridden hard and hung up wet... ie, abused from being used in a mining rig, even if the seller claims otherwise.

5bot

Activity: 36

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 10:23:36 PM

shouldn't you read the thread your posting in bro?

think about what you're asking, nobody runs the hardware you're using, you want people to do research for you(lazy) so you can setup some old POS you have laying around (lazy) and it wont even make any profit(waste of everyones time)
how about you get serious dude, mining isnt free, every setup will be different, buy a modern gpu for under 100$, google what to get and how to do it and stop expecting to be spoonfed
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 09:30:41 PM

16 CUDA cores on that card - even if you COULD find software to work with it, most recent CPUS are more powerful.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: