Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:36:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking to start mining, need help  (Read 1147 times)
ubuntuminer2011 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 01:15:41 AM

I am using Ubuntu 11.04, have an nVidia graphics card (GTX 460 SE), want a mining program with a GUI, and am looking for installation instructions that fit these specifications. If you could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BinaryMage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Ad astra.

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 01:38:09 AM

Download GUIMiner here, start a new CUDA or OpenCL miner (see which works best), connect to a pool such as BTCGuild.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
ubuntuminer2011 (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 01:46:36 AM

Ubuntu is linux, this download is for Windows.
ND

Activity: 63

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 01:56:13 AM

why you want to mine with a nvidia card?
nvidia cards are lame, you can get max 56.39 mh/s with that card
ubuntuminer2011 (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 02:01:06 AM

Because I'd like to try mining for shits and giggles and that's the card I have. Any other lame questions?
ND

Activity: 63

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 02:07:41 AM

Because I'd like to try mining for shits and giggles and that's the card I have. Any other lame questions?

ok. i dont understand why you want to lose money on electricity. Download guiminer and follow the instruction for linux here: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=3878.0
dustintrammell
VIP

Activity: 156
Merit: 103

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 02:18:41 AM

ok. i dont understand why you want to lose money on electricity. Download guiminer and follow the instruction for linux here: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=3878.0

Sounds like they just want to test the waters and see what is involved with the setup before putting any funds into the endeavor.

Dustin D. Trammell
Twitter: @druidian
PGP: E0DC F55C 9386 1691 A67F FB18 F6D9 5E52 FDA6 6E16
ubuntuminer2011 (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 02:26:23 AM

Sounds like they just want to test the waters and see what is involved with the setup before putting any funds into the endeavor.

Exactly, it's just to see how it works, not as moneymaking venture.

Thanks ND for posting a set of directions and trying to help, but I've already seen those directions and they are, well... terrible. Now I guess I am not in a position to complain given that I don't know what I am doing and they're offering free advice, but I am in a position to say those directions suck. The link where they tell you to get the source code from does not identify a particular file as the source code, It also tells you to install certain files without telling you how, just that others explain elsewhere and that you can track that down for yourself. I've tried a few sets of directions and failed, thus I started this thread (side note: wouldn't it be great if it just came in a package?).
jtibble

Activity: 52

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 02:32:50 AM

I'm also rocking a GTX 460, so I wish you the best of luck once you've got it working!
ubuntuminer2011 (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 05:32:37 PM

Kick for help and for my 5th post so that I can get out of newbie land.
BinaryMage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Ad astra.

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 05:52:48 PM

Ubuntu is linux, this download is for Windows.

Wow, my brain must have been on vacation that day.

On the page linked earlier (this), click the "Downloads" button above the list of files and under "Download Source", click "Download .tar.gz". On Ubuntu, right click the .tar.gz file and click "Extract here". After you have installed OpenCL, pyOpenCL, and wxPython (just Google for these, they should be well documented), open up a terminal window, navigate to the directory where you extracted the source, and run "guiminer.py".

Hope that works alright. Smiley

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
TerraformProjectAlpha

Activity: 36

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 09:02:05 PM

Linuxcoin OS is the easiest linux based mining OS that I have found, they did an excellent job, and they have a great faq.  I would suggest using this.

link to linuxcoin:https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/LinuxCoin

btw be sure to support them, they did an amazing job!
HonestAbe

Activity: 16

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 12:12:11 AM

why does everyone want to mine so bad?  its a long slow grind is it not?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: