Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 01:18:38 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Rig won't power on when GPUs are connected.  (Read 216 times)
twistedbelly (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 09:25:36 PM

I have built a few mining rigs before, but normally just in a pc tower and connected the gpus directly to the board.  I decided to build 6 gpu rig but am having problems.  Every time I plug in a gpu to one of the 1x slots, the rig won't boot.  If I unplug all the gpus in the single slots or if I plug a single gpu riser into the 16x slot, it will power on properly.

I have tried with 5 gpus hooked up and with only a single gpu, and the same problem.
All the Gpus are powered with the 6 or 8pin plus the powered usb riser.  I only have 2 risers connected tops to the sata cable.

Stats on rig
ethos - booted on ssd
Biostar tb85
4gb ram
evga 850gq psu
I have tried 2 different gpus powered with 1x to 16x powered risers - Asus Geforce gtx 1070 turbo 8gb and evga geforce gtx 1060 6gb.

Thanks in advance for the help
Steamtyme
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 2036

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 10:00:32 PM

Hey there, the right place for this would be in alt coins. That's where you will find everyone who uses gpu's to mine. This section is just for bitcoin mining topics.

░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
Ripmixer
░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
twistedbelly (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 10:08:40 PM

Hey there, the right place for this would be in alt coins. That's where you will find everyone who uses gpu's to mine. This section is just for bitcoin mining topics.

That sounds good. I’ll try that out. Thanks!
millsys

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 10:16:33 PM

When you say won't boot what does it do?  Spinning Windows Loader? Blank screen?  Hang posting to bios?  Can't find SSD?

I recommend unplugging all video cards
Plug into onboard (you want to do this all the time, never connect monitor direct to video card)
Boot into safe mode (hold left shift and select shutdown/restart in windows to find this option)
Run DDO (must download before doing all this) and have it clean/remove all graphics drivers
Reboot into normal mode, make sure it boots fine
Disconnect network card and boot into bios, disable sound, serial, set pci-e to Gen2 (usually 3 areas this can be set), set primary video onboard and to enable integrated graphics, and Above 4G Enable
Save and reboot, but DON'T BOOT into windows, power off
Plug in Risers, all of them
Boot up, again with network cable disconnected, make sure it shows Microsoft Standard Video in Device Manager for the 5 cards!!!
Now you can install the latest video driver (hopefully you downloaded it earlier, we don't want windows to attempt to get it so leave network cable disconnected)

FARM #1 : 60 GPUs spread across 6 rigs (1080ti/1080/1070ti/1070)
FARM #2 : 72 GPUs spread across 12 rigs (1070ti x 6)
FARM #3 : 16 GPUs spread across 4 rigs (1080ti x 4)
AntMiner S9 13.5TH / AntMiner L3+ x 2
twistedbelly (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 12:06:12 AM

I have unplugged all and run the video from the onboard dvi on the mb. It will operate properly when all gpus are unplugged
It is running straight from ethos on an ssd (no windows installed)
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 12:17:04 AM

I have unplugged all and run the video from the onboard dvi on the mb. It will operate properly when all gpus are unplugged
It is running straight from ethos on an ssd (no windows installed)

Have you tried Plugging the single GPU on PCIx16 slot? have any results? I have a feeling its a riser issue, but might be wrong
millsys

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 12:19:27 AM

Update to latest bios
Set all 3 PCI-E speed settings to GEN2 instead of Auto
Enable Above 4G to support 4+ cards

look at : https://blockoperations.com/configuring-bios-settings-gpu-mining-intel-motherboards/

FARM #1 : 60 GPUs spread across 6 rigs (1080ti/1080/1070ti/1070)
FARM #2 : 72 GPUs spread across 12 rigs (1070ti x 6)
FARM #3 : 16 GPUs spread across 4 rigs (1080ti x 4)
AntMiner S9 13.5TH / AntMiner L3+ x 2
twistedbelly (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 02:12:22 AM

[/quote]

Have you tried Plugging the single GPU on PCIx16 slot? have any results? I have a feeling its a riser issue, but might be wrong

[/quote]

I have plugged a single in the PCIx16 and it did work.
I have other new risers, I will try that.  I have tried this with 5 different gpu and 5 different risers and have had the same issue.
twistedbelly (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 02:41:46 AM

Update to latest bios
Set all 3 PCI-E speed settings to GEN2 instead of Auto
Enable Above 4G to support 4+ cards

look at : https://blockoperations.com/configuring-bios-settings-gpu-mining-intel-motherboards/

Thanks, I will definitely give this a shot.  I had it configured to Gen1, but I will switch that over.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: