Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:56:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Foundation Board Election Details Announced  (Read 19702 times)
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 03:57:53 PM

I voted for Joerg Platzer

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 06:05:22 PM

Just a reminder:

Voting in the election runs until 11:59 pm PDT, September 08, 2013.

A link that enables voting was sent to Bitcoin Foundation members via e-mail.

- https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/?p=226

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

MykelSilver

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 12:31:44 PM

Just a reminder:

Voting in the election runs until 11:59 pm PDT, September 08, 2013.

A link that enables voting was sent to Bitcoin Foundation members via e-mail.

- https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/?p=226
As an annual member I still do not have received any mail which contains the link to vote. I also mailed John Stahl about this. Anyone else has problems to vote as a member?
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 12:39:54 PM

Platzer.
MykelSilver

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 12:42:29 PM

Platzer.
How did you vote? Get everyone a personal link by email?
I became an annual member yesterday. Tomorrow is the deadline. Hopefully its not to late for me.

By the way. I also want to vote for Platzer.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 04:32:39 PM

How did you vote? Get everyone a personal link by email?
I became an annual member yesterday. Tomorrow is the deadline. Hopefully its not to late for me.

Membership Sign Up Deadline: August 23, 2013
If you are not already a member of the Bitcoin Foundation, you must become a member by August 23, 2013, to vote in the election.

Signature space available for rent.
MykelSilver

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 04:39:36 PM

Thanks for this sad news. This was the main reason for my 0.20 btc membership fee. Sad
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078

BCJ

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 04:40:24 PM

Platzer
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2013, 05:54:36 PM

Thanks for this sad news. This was the main reason for my 0.20 btc membership fee. Sad

The intent behind the sign up deadline was to prevent someone from stuffing the ballot box; membership is cheap but foresight is not. We didn't want someone spending a months salary and buying the election.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
MykelSilver

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 06:03:35 PM

I don't want to buy election. Just want to vote. That's all...
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 06:24:16 PM

The intent behind the sign up deadline was to prevent someone from stuffing the ballot box; membership is cheap but foresight is not. We didn't want someone spending a months salary and buying the election.

Since you're obviously tied into the decision making at the foundation, can you tell me why so many people want a German to head up a U.S. Bitcoin business organization? Joerg Platzer probably has an incidental interest in seeing Bitcoin spread worldwide. Other than that, I can't see the reason for supporting him.

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2013, 06:35:43 PM

Since you're obviously tied into the decision making at the foundation, can you tell me why so many people want a German to head up a U.S. Bitcoin business organization? Joerg Platzer probably has an incidental interest in seeing Bitcoin spread worldwide. Other than that, I can't see the reason for supporting him.

Our decision making process was made via a thread on our forum. I coordinated the thread and put the recommendations we made to the board on GitHub.

A large fraction of foundation members are not from the US...not sure exactly how many...maybe 30-40%? I think internationalizing the foundation is critical and should be a priority. I suspect that's driving some votes.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 06:50:26 PM

Our decision making process was made via a thread on our forum. I coordinated the thread and put the recommendations we made to the board on GitHub.

A large fraction of foundation members are not from the US...not sure exactly how many...maybe 30-40%? I think internationalizing the foundation is critical and should be a priority. I suspect that's driving some votes.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I just see the recent foundation lobbying efforts in Washington and the primary business donors/members as evidence of a U.S. centric organization. It would be in the foundations best interest to move away from that considering the overall government reception in the U.S. for Bitcoin and similar businesses.

MykelSilver

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 06:59:00 PM

He's the only one who finds the decentralization of bitcoin a very important thing to keep. The other members are more open to centralization for bitcoin, which is in my opinion a danger to bitcoin. 
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 07:44:44 PM

He's the only one who finds the decentralization of bitcoin a very important thing to keep. The other members are more open to centralization for bitcoin, which is in my opinion a danger to bitcoin. 

Centralization, in and of itself, isn't a necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it could create a larger user base and instill trust in the system for the common man. Bitcoin would simply cease to be the Mecca currency for liberals and anarchists. For Bitcoin to reach truly great heights it can't be exclusively used by the annual Porcfest attendees. It makes perfect sense for businessmen to want as large a user base as possible. That will require at least some control by a central authority.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078

BCJ

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 07:48:00 PM

The Bitcoin Foundation's mission is here:

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/about/
(nothing specific about the US)

- Bitcoin is a protocol with a global user base.
- 60%* of the Foundations member are from outside of the US(* from the recent bitcoin foundation newsletter).
- New Bitcoin Foundation Executive Director Jon Matonis talks about his agenda for the foundation here.
https://soundcloud.com/mindtomatter/e23-2-setting-the-agenda-with

While the path that legislation and regulation take us down in the US is important this should not be the sole concern of the foundation.
https://plus.google.com/114798402540078632611/posts/KUEn4qQ3NpA
MykelSilver

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 07:54:02 PM

Centralization, in and of itself, isn't a necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it could create a larger user base and instill trust in the system for the common man. Bitcoin would simply cease to be the Mecca currency for liberals and anarchists. For Bitcoin to reach truly great heights it can't be exclusively used by the annual Porcfest attendees. It makes perfect sense for businessmen to want as large a user base as possible. That will require at least some control by a central authority.
The point is: No central authority call be trust.
The whole concept / fundamentals of bitcoin are built upon that no one even bitcoin itself can not be trust. Only the decentralization can protect this concept.  Central planning / banks were the reason Satoshi built this thing. http://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
td services

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

black swan hunter

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 08:02:15 PM

Given the results of the Ron Paul campaign, I estimate the freedom movement potentially consists of 5-10% of the US population. This is about 7.5 to 15 million adults in the US alone. This is way more than enough to form our own economy, build our own businesses within our community, and have our own decentralized money and banking systems. We do not need to dumb down and centralize Bitcoin to attract a larger audience out of the vast pool of mass media manipulated Borg drones of the corporate state who have been responsible for destroying the country for the last 100 years. It can grow organically into an ecosystem at a steady pace as it is with a quality user base. I would estimate another potential 20-40% of the population may follow as they see the initial users prosper. There is another 50% of the population for which there is probably no hope since they are dependent on maintaining the status quo at all costs.

I know I will lose complete interest in Bitcoin if it is 'Paypaled' into near uselessness.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 08:11:40 PM

The point is: No central authority call be trust.
The whole concept / fundamentals of bitcoin are built upon that no one even bitcoin itself can not be trust. Only the decentralization can protect this concept.  Central planning / banks were the reason Satoshi built this thing. http://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

I understand and I'm not disputing the above statement. I also agree that foundation membership is made up of members of this forum so it's multinational. Platinum and silver members are mostly running U.S. based businesses and the largest investors in the membership like the Bitinstant (Winklevoss twins) and Bitcoinstore are going to attempt to set the agenda based on the needs of U.S. based businesses. Mark Karpeles, even though he's a frenchman running a Japanese business, must understand the value of supporting the business startups in the US. Just because you vote for the president does not mean you will vote on every action that they take on a daily basis.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 08:20:45 PM

Given the results of the Ron Paul campaign, I estimate the freedom movement potentially consists of 5-10% of the US population. This is about 7.5 to 15 million adults in the US alone. This is way more than enough to form our own economy, build our own businesses within our community, and have our own decentralized money and banking systems. We do not need to dumb down and centralize Bitcoin to attract a larger audience out of the vast pool of mass media manipulated Borg drones of the corporate state who have been responsible for destroying the country for the last 100 years. It can grow organically into an ecosystem at a steady pace as it is with a quality user base. I would estimate another potential 20-40% of the population may follow as they see the initial users prosper. There is another 50% of the population for which there is probably no hope since they are dependent on maintaining the status quo at all costs.

I know I will lose complete interest in Bitcoin if it is 'Paypaled' into near uselessness.

I'm not sure you can classify every Ron Paul supporter as a Bitcoin supporter but maybe. Bitcoin will have a really difficult time being used by the non "Borg Drone" crowd if U.S. businesses fail because that business is driven underground. I do agree that you and many like you will stop using Bitcoin. I already said that above.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: