Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:48:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Foundation Board Election Details Announced  (Read 19702 times)
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 04:25:05 AM

Good business will require that Bitcoin representatives play nice with governments and find a niche inside of fiat systems like a low cost Western Union replacement. ... However, they have already opened that Pandora's box and will need someone that can play nice and agree to work within the system instead of working to make the system obsolete.

@QuestionAuthority: is that some kind of extreme authority questioning, almost radical?

Joe

So will your entire campaign platform be based on belittling people that could potentially vote for you or am I the exception to rule?

I am sorry if I made the impression to want to belittle you, I did not.

You will have to admit though that your nick and the above statement (please read it over again!) are somehow contradictory. You basically state that you are questioning authority but at the same time are very willing to obey to it since someone else has already suggested to obey anyways. In case I misinterpreted you you are free to clearify that.

No, I did not walk out to belittle the people who could potentially vote for me but I did not take on this nomination to try to please everyone who could potentially vote for me by watering down my opinions either. Therefor I do not run a middle-of-the-road campaign trying to please everybody with feelgood-blabla. If you think that this honest and integer approach is the wrong one and there should be someone else on the board who is better than me in giving out feelgood-blabla without any substance then you know who to vote! I am no good for 'playing nice' with authorities and I will never be.

... and will need someone that can play nice and agree to work within the system instead of working to make the system obsolete.

I am not working on making the system obsolete. With the advent of the blockchain the system HAS BECOME obsolete, finally.

I believe that crypto currency is going a bit deeper in questioning authority than merely questioning it, it is abolishing financial authority. And I believe that someone who chose the nick 'QuestionAuthority' might as well appreciate that as much as I do. We can't be that far away from each other really.

Joe

Wow, in just this one response you have:

Proven that you failed to read my response to your belittling comment to me providing me with evidence that you don't listen to constituents, don't understand them when they tell you something, or both.
Taken a quote out of context, not directed at you, and used it to twist a line of conversation your direction.
Shown me that you have absolutely no business acumen whatsoever.
Shown me that your understanding of the best use for Bitcoin is on the far reaches of what even the most nutty radical libertarian would think is sane.

I guess you will make a good politician. Good luck with your campaign.

LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2013, 05:12:15 AM

I am not working on making the system obsolete. With the advent of the blockchain the system HAS BECOME obsolete, finally.

So by that theory, you must think libraries are also obsolete as the advent of the internet? Well you are extremely wrong in both cases. System has not become obsolete, it has just has to adopted like it has in the past. I swear this sounds like something that Admir would say. Extremist like this are making it harder for legal business owners who pay taxes and still enjoys the fruits of bitcoins to exist. No one in the foundation should be this extremist, this will hurt the foundation and all the little work they have done. This makes the system think we are an enemy and most of us aren't. Also we wouldn't like to be label such as one.

The system is your enemy whether you know it or not.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
td services

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

black swan hunter

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 07:14:54 AM

Good luck Joecoin, hope you win since you represent my views and are far more tactful than myself in expressing them.

@Gweedo: Yes, publicly funded libraries are obsolete and a waste of taxpayer money. They should be privatized.

I'll avoid responding to other comments since I'm likely to make another nasty comment if I get wrapped up in the heat of discussion with those who are unlikely to align with my views, and I lost interest in trying to persuade people a long time ago.

As I noted earlier, it is always possible to move to a new blockchain if Bitcoin is compromised.
joecooin

Activity: 359

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2013, 07:51:10 AM

No I have not and you know that very well and you don't need to try to interpret our conversation in your personal and subjective way as it is up there for everybody to read and interpret for themselves.

I am thankful that you are daring me like this as you and I are in here for very different reasons and you are stating an example of that difference here. I may quote you from two pages earlier in this thread:

I want Bitcoin to hit four digits against the US dollar and there to be a place for me to exchange my coins without risking a prison term when I do. I realize Bitcoin was founded in extremist ideology and that's great. .... You can love your fellow man and want to over throw the evil government all day long but profit is necessary for business.

So you are here for the profits. And I am here for what you call the 'extremist' ideology from which you now expect to gain your profits of which you wish that the government will allow you to have them Smiley.

I guess you will make a good politician.

I guess I will never and I just prooved that here by loosing your vote entirely.

Joe

bernard75
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 02:15:55 PM
Last edit: September 14, 2013, 03:15:01 PM by bernard75

Vote for Joerg for finally having a much needed European member:
Joerg Platzer (joecooin)
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 02:55:03 PM

No I have not and you know that very well and you don't need to try to interpret our conversation in your personal and subjective way as it is up there for everybody to read and interpret for themselves.

I am thankful that you are daring me like this as you and I are in here for very different reasons and you are stating an example of that difference here. I may quote you from two pages earlier in this thread:

I want Bitcoin to hit four digits against the US dollar and there to be a place for me to exchange my coins without risking a prison term when I do. I realize Bitcoin was founded in extremist ideology and that's great. .... You can love your fellow man and want to over throw the evil government all day long but profit is necessary for business.

So you are here for the profits. And I am here for what you call the 'extremist' ideology from which you now expect to gain your profits of which you wish that the government will allow you to have them Smiley.

I guess you will make a good politician.

I guess I will never and I just prooved that here by loosing your vote entirely.

Joe

Pissing contest aside, do you actually expect the Platnum and Silver members (business members) to vote for you with that platform? You're not exactly pro business.

chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2013, 04:04:30 PM

Pissing contest aside, do you actually expect the Platnum and Silver members (business members) to vote for you with that platform?

IIRC business members are voting on the industry seat.

You're not exactly pro business.

What do you mean by that? From what I heard he's doing business on his own and got several others to accept Bitcoin.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 04:34:55 PM

Pissing contest aside, do you actually expect the Platnum and Silver members (business members) to vote for you with that platform?

IIRC business members are voting on the industry seat.

You're not exactly pro business.

What do you mean by that? From what I heard he's doing business on his own and got several others to accept Bitcoin.

He is not for profit but more for extremist ideology. His stance to avoid working with governments and instead fight against them (see his quote in bold above). His position might work in Germany but will have a difficult time working in the US.

chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2013, 05:27:19 PM

He is not for profit but more for extremist ideology. His stance to avoid working with governments and instead fight against them (see his quote in bold above). His position might work in Germany but will have a difficult time working in the US.

I couldn't find him mentioning that he's planning to fight governments.

Joerg? Do you pay taxes?

bernard75
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 05:44:45 PM

I also havent heared that he is planning to fight governments.
Anyway he is the only choice not from the US.
And as it is the foundation is doing things for the US only.
It would be nice to have some diversity, too.
Arto
Donator

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 06:14:26 AM

The friendly folks at Let's Talk Bitcoin have now posted the audio recording of the final debate, which took place yesterday (Saturday).

My personal take on it, as posted to the Foundation forum:

Just finished listening to the recording. Good stuff. In my view, Joerg and Trace gave the strongest impressions, just about tied, but Ben also did a good job (all the more so given the raspy throat, which can't have been pleasant, as Adam noted).

The debate formed clearly around a big divide (to a first approximation coincident with the Atlantic?) regarding the necessity to internationalize the Foundation, and I suspect the votes next week may fall not dissimilarly—with Joerg and Trace on the one side, and largely Ms. Ploshay on the other.

As Joerg pointed out in the debate, what's at stake here is whether, going forward, this Foundation is to become the global umbrella organization for the Bitcoin universe, or merely remain a perceptibly U.S.-centered "Big Bitcoin" business club. If the Foundation's ~40% U.S.-based electorate should fail to look outward in this election, another organization will soon enough fill that void and the international relevancy of this Foundation will diminish accordingly and appropriately.

I know that a bunch of people over here in the Old World are just itching to make that happen, but I'd personally rather see this Foundation salvaged and repurposed towards better ends, as Jon Matonis is as ideal an appointment for an outwards-looking Executive Director as anyone could hope for. In any case, the electorate's decisions next week will be revelatory and significant.

td services

Activity: 448

black swan hunter

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 08:23:11 PM

Joerg? Do you pay taxes?

This is an incredibly offensive question to ask someone. I immediately and completely distrust anyone who asks it.
Professor James Moriarty
aka TheTortoise

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:43:02 AM

I like the facebook guy , he looks like more experienced on the field than other candidates. There was a young guy , he looked very enthusiastic but not that much knowledge comparing to others . The german guy sounded like he will do his best but his best didnt look that good Cheesy of course , I am not allowed to talk about liz since I am afraid of a ban from theymos if I say something bad about her Cheesy

This is the view of a noob on this topic , just from the podcast.
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 10:29:30 AM

Joerg has by far the best thought-out position of all candidates. He has both technical and business expertise.

And what's most important: He supports organic growth of the bitcoin ecosystem by increased usage by the people and not by bootlicking corrupt governmental institutions.

The lobbying endorsed by the majority of TBF-members is an outright naive approach which both lacks effectiveness and moral integrity. The US are among the worst countries for running a Bitcoin foundation, because "freedom" there has become an abstract monument of no practical real-life significance which is only hailed to at Independence Day.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 02:31:15 PM

I think we need someone who can build bridges not burn them. A simple attack on the evil banking system will fall on deaf ears and lead to over regulation. That's why I'm backing Elizabeth Ploshay.
 "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar".

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 03:58:32 PM

Don't feed the bears with honey. They'll tear you up as soon as you're done feeding them. I'm endorsing Joerg.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 04:28:33 PM

I think we need someone who can build bridges not burn them. A simple attack on the evil banking system will fall on deaf ears and lead to over regulation. That's why I'm backing Elizabeth Ploshay.

I agree with every word. I should just cut and paste your post.

Ipsum

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 04:53:52 PM

Agreed, though this is why I'm backing Ben Davenport, as Elizabeth is a little bit of a Christian nutter.
coretechs
Donator

Activity: 362

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 05:19:46 PM

Tough decision.  I agree with a lot of the positions of the candidates, but in varying contexts.   I personally feel that the Bitcoin Foundation should represent the global bitcoin community, and that it should be powerless.  I think that other organizations are better suited to focusing on legal issues and interfacing with authorities in specific jurisdictions.  "Freedom of transaction" is a powerful mission statement that resonates with me.

https://bitcoindoc.com - The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin | https://blocktap.io - Lightning powered crypto query engine
bernard75
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 06:08:06 PM

We have enough fly catchers in the US already, its time for some European ones. Joerg is the man.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: