Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 08:33:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [XPM] Primecoin Newbie Discussion Thread  (Read 695 times)
darkstone1337 (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 07:41:43 PM

Hello guys! I'm new to this forum but not really new to Bitcoin and alt-currencies. I've got a few years experience in the FX trading market (with a bit of success, nothing huge).

I've been watching Primecoin closely and love the idea of a new cryptocurrency with a unique idea and not just a clone of another coin! Original thread: (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=251850.0)

I've been mining and it seems to be down to luck as well as mining power, GPU mining may not be possible on some cards if I've read correctly. Got myself a nice bunch of coins already, and the value holds up really well at the moment considering it's only been a few days since the release of the coin. (Currently it looks like 1XPM = 0.0085BTC according the Coin-E, still rising over time!).

Anyone want to share their experience and tips? Smiley
fknsonikk

Activity: 3

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 07:58:42 PM

Would getting stuck on one block (not following the chain anymore) indicate a flaw in the build I'm using, something going wrong on my computer/connection or with Primecoin in general? This has occurred 3 times today, but not once before that. The issue happens long after I started mining, anywhere between 1 and 5 hours after startup. I have been using the following builds and had this happening with both builds:

Generic Windows client based on Chemisists improvements, compiled by fabrizziop
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=253662.msg2716037#msg2716037

Release 16 Windows client optimized for SB i5, by Zalfrin
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=253662.msg2711432#msg2711432
darkstone1337 (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:16:30 PM

Would getting stuck on one block (not following the chain anymore) indicate a flaw in the build I'm using, something going wrong on my computer/connection or with Primecoin in general? This has occurred 3 times today, but not once before that. The issue happens long after I started mining, anywhere between 1 and 5 hours after startup. I have been using the following builds and had this happening with both builds:

Generic Windows client based on Chemisists improvements, compiled by fabrizziop
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=253662.msg2716037#msg2716037

Release 16 Windows client optimized for SB i5, by Zalfrin
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=253662.msg2711432#msg2711432

I had an issue like this, not sure why but roughly after 10PM GMT+0 to about 10AM GMT+0 is when I seem to have a lot more success mining blocks that weren't orphaned. I wonder if its packet shaping/filtering by my ISP but I doubt it somehow.

Unless if someone with tremendous power is mining in the other times. I think it might be the latter, since I've seen a few posts by other members speculating the same thing.
Might be worth trying, YMMV.

I'm using the official build from Sunny Smiley
darkstone1337 (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:23:10 PM

Does anyone know if there is a way to check the balance of a wallet? I want to see where all the blocks are going Tongue
xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1065
Merit: 1077

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:28:54 PM

Does anyone know if there is a way to check the balance of a wallet? I want to see where all the blocks are going Tongue

In the console window you can type 'getbalance' to see the total value of mature coins you have.  If you type 'getbalance ""' (that's getbalance with two double-quotes after it), it will give you the total of both mature and immature funds.

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
darkstone1337 (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:34:48 PM

In the console window you can type 'getbalance' to see the total value of mature coins you have.  If you type 'getbalance ""' (that's getbalance with two double-quotes after it), it will give you the total of both mature and immature funds.

Thanks! That's handy Smiley

Any way to see a balance of anyone elses wallet? Or see if the blocks that are being mined are being set to a specific wallet/address?
xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1065
Merit: 1077

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:39:01 PM

Thanks! That's handy Smiley

Any way to see a balance of anyone elses wallet? Or see if the blocks that are being mined are being set to a specific wallet/address?

Whenever a block is mined, it is sent to an address generated by your client.  A new address is generated for each one.

If you type 'help' in the console, you will get a list of all the commands available and their syntax.

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: