Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:14:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How can developers make a decent return for their work in crypto currency  (Read 2374 times)
AgentME

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 10:37:35 PM

i am starting to believe in the hard coded thing. I have been considering methdos of reserving then taking addresses.

Example, i create a new coin. I have hardcoded 10 addresses to each receive 0.3 %

the first one is mine, the next two will be for the two best pools over a period of 1 month. The next two are for The first two exchanges to take the coin.
One will be for a faucet, another for manual bounties and another for giveaway. the last two will be reserves in case the dev team needs a hot wallet.
Is this a hypothetical, or a feature you omitted from mentioning in the description of your Noirbits currency?

From the description of the Noirbits currency:
Centralized management has caused the downfall of too many coins.

There will be no premine.

All bounties will be from the community.

Also, to be honest, what development work is there on Noirbits besides changing some Litecoin parameters? I feel like I'm the only one not drinking the clonecoin kool-aid around here.

First you Develop a coin, get it to a market to give it a starting value. Then you begin to roll out services, and goods that can be bought with a currency that has measurable value determined by market forces. your judgmental tone begs you read the OP. Devs want profitability, i did not hold onto any coin before releasing it and since i get no donations, there is hardly any incentive to further develop. I have many ideas and most of them garner the interest but no traction since people want devs to do it for free. A total clone of LTC could do better than LTC if it has active devs who are well incentivised. The open community idea is great but does not pay bills. Getting a stipend for my work is not centralizing anything, it is simply getting paid for my work.  

If you did understand anything about development you'd know that any form of idea needs developing, testing , refinement then release. even when released it does not mean people will like it. Have you done any coding before? If so please highlight how easy it is to code something useful. We live in a time where governments either frown on cryptos or don't understand them at all. i spent a very long phone call explaining to some officials what cryptos are, how they work and how they benefit society. after they expressed confusion i sent them simplified explanatory emails. They have agreed to conference again but they asked me one question, since it is not fiat, how do i expect to deal with the regs of founding such an enterprise? in which tax domain does it fall? Have you ever read any countries banking laws? i have read through quite a few and none has even an idea of how to truly classify what we are doing here in proper context.

So to be honest, you have no idea what you are talking about until you try what the "kool-aid" drinkers and makers are doing. Don't be a hack that just talks, if you don't like altcoins, or just Noirbits, at least be an informed person, right now your honesty just seems like jaded opinion.
Roll out services and goods that can be bought with it? It looks like you just pre-mined took a cut of mining (we really need to have a term for this much worse practice of hardcoding a scamcoin to mine for you) and then used those free coins to pay users to make those services with ill-gained bounties. If you did make any of those services yourself and I missed that, no reason they couldn't have been for a non-scamcoin.

Yes, I'm a Real Developer©, and I can imagine all the work that goes into changing Litecoin's name and blockchain root. I guess re-doing the logo nicely probably took the longest.

Holy shit, people actually take the idea of "make a litecoin clone into a scamcoin and treat it as a business to make a living off of" seriously around here. Is this subforum where all of the developers went who saw bitcoin as a get-rich-quick scheme and completely missed the point of its crypto and decentralization?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FreeTrade
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 12:03:33 AM

I'm working on a coin that will have a constant stream of grants built into the blockchain for developers.

To avoid hardcoding any addresses, the coin will use proof-of-stake voting to decide how to allocate grants.

You can read more about the proposal here - I'm looking for feedback on it.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=254334.0

Membercoin - Layer 1 Coin used for the member.cash decentralized social network.
10% Interest On All Balances. Browser and Solo Mining. 100% Distributed to Users and Developers.
xan_The_Dragon

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

I AM A DRAGON

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 04:04:03 AM

There is no good way to do it

MfFMEpgL5Ma9C2yw6iSsSX4QcbSVzjm6iK
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 04:26:00 AM

If you are a good developer, with a history of doing development work wherever needed, maintaining various coins, creating pull requests (patches) for various problems various coins encounter etc, maybe you will become a go-to guy that people will be more and more inclined to try to hire/bounty whenever some coin or other needs something or some useful software many many coins could all make good use of is not available yet as free open source code?

For a long time now all the merged mined coins have all been in need of an up to date copy of bitcoin with the "merged mine as a secondary chain" patches applied, for example. Maintaining coins is maybe even more important than cloning new coins, so to me the fact that so many coins are not being kept up to date, especially in this case where many coins will all get the benefit, leads me to expect that the cut and paste clonecoin kiddies are likely not to keep the new cut and paste clonecoins up to date, since they have not demonstrated any ability to update any coin at all.

We can look at the scrypt coins too, as soon as an scrypt coin based on the latest bitcoin is available, or even just an up to date bitcoin with only the change of hashing method applied, all the scrypt coins that are running older code can be updated. But that doesn't seem to be happening either.

So it seems pretty clear to me there are not enough developers active yet to even just keep the coins that have existed a long time up and running with recent code so spawning yet more clonecoins just makes more and more and more coins that need their code updated, increasing the backlog of chains that need updated code instead of actually doing the work of updating the damn things...

Show us you can bring up to date the existing coins, then maybe a new coin you come up with might have some hope of seeming credible as a coin that might keep up to date with the latest bugfixes and innovations in cryptocoin code/technology.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Hydroponica

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

fml

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 04:33:45 AM

If you develop something good, you will get donations.

And you could always mine like the rest of us, VLAD

Oh, I see, the developer, who spent weeks, coding, and testing and compiling, and recoding, and recompiling, and retesting, ect, ect, ect, then, after release, spends hours a day, of their spare time, promoting the coin, and establishing services, and taking shit from everyone on the forums, should get the same payout, as someone who spent a bunch of money on mining gear, flipped a switch, and sat on a couch watching TV? Hmmmm, makes sense. All buisinesses should operate that way Roll Eyes

There is nothing wrong, with putting a small ammount of your creation, in your own wallet. If it takes off, you get what you deserve. If it doesn't, your premine is worthless anyways.

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 04:39:00 AM

Except its not worthless, its grist for the pump and dump mill.

Some scummy exchange will list the coin to get a percentage of the bitcoins or dollars or litecoins people pay for the latest tulip mania scamcoin crap, the premine is dumped hopefully before the suckers realise it is just yet another of the daily round of pump and dump scams, and by then the next scam is ready to launch or already launched.

So even if it is a total flop, the scam exchange(s) and the clonecoin spawners get to pocket more bitcoins, litecoins, dollars or whatever from the suckers who buy such crap, as a bit of free loot for a few hours between that pump and dump and the next one that is already waiting in the wings to take its place.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Hydroponica

fml

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 04:42:53 AM

Some scummy exchange will list the coin to get a percentage of the bitcoins or dollars or litecoins people pay for the latest tulip mania scamcoin crap, the premine is dumped hopefully before the suckers realise it is just yet another of the daily round of pump and dump scams, and by then the next scam is ready to launch or already launched.

So even if it is a total flop, the scam exchange(s) and the clonecoin spawners get to pocket more bitcoins, litecoins, dollars or whatever from the suckers who buy such crap.

-MarkM-

I'm talking 1-2% premine here. Not the 7 million that was premined with coins like GLD. Just saying, why should someone with 1000's of dollars of mining equipment, get so much, while the developer could potentially get so little, of a coin they created? They should rely on donations, from, for the most part, small time miners? Because, in general, big mining setups, are not worried about paying anyone, except themselves, and the power company.

And, we'll fall back to the ussual, Bitcoin, which everyone loves so much, was pre mined to shit

iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 04:50:15 AM

Oh, I see, the developer, who spent weeks, coding, and testing and compiling, and recoding, and recompiling, and retesting, ect, ect, ect, then, after release, spends hours a day, of their spare time, promoting the coin, and establishing services, and taking shit from everyone on the forums, should get the same payout, as someone who spent a bunch of money on mining gear, flipped a switch, and sat on a couch watching TV? Hmmmm, makes sense. All buisinesses should operate that way Roll Eyes

There is nothing wrong, with putting a small ammount of your creation, in your own wallet. If it takes off, you get what you deserve. If it doesn't, your premine is worthless anyways.

Creating a coin is nothing like running a business lol

I run two business on a day to day basis. 95% of these coin creators would never even get their doors open. Don't act like it's that hard to change a few lines of code. Write something from scratch or introduce a new algorithm if you want people to take you seriously

iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 04:51:12 AM

So even if it is a total flop, the scam exchange(s) and the clonecoin spawners get to pocket more bitcoins, litecoins, dollars or whatever from the suckers who buy such crap.

-MarkM-

I'm talking 1-2% premine here. Not the 7 million that was premined with coins like GLD. Just saying, why should someone with 1000's of dollars of mining equipment, get so much, while the developer could potentially get so little, of a coin they created? They should rely on donations, from, for the most part, small time miners? Because, in general, big mining setups, are not worried about paying anyone, except themselves, and the power company.

And, we'll fall back to the ussual, Bitcoin, which everyone loves so much, was pre mined to shit

Exactly what I said. Come up with your own algorithm or code. Then you deserve to premine it. Change a few lines and you don't deserve a god damn thing, you special little snowflake, you

Hydroponica

fml

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 04:53:33 AM

I run two business on a day to day basis. 95% of these coin creators would never even get their doors open. Don't act like it's that hard to change a few lines of code. Write something from scratch or introduce a new algorithm if you want people to take you seriously

The last coin written from scratch, was probably Bitcoin, you fucking moron.
Just look at the goddamn LTC code. If you don't know anything about programming, stfu

And Scypt was not a new Crypto algorithm, it was just implemented into LTC Roll Eyes

Hydroponica

fml

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 04:58:52 AM

Arg, I want to punch you. Even the fucking icons and pictures, in every single fucking QT wallet, are called Bitcoin.xxx or Bitcoin_testnet.xxx Angry

AgentME

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 04:59:23 AM

Exactly.
If this were a forum for P2P filesharing tools, would we see clonetorrent developers whining that they should be able to backdoor their software so their own files get shared faster or they have more access? No one would give that shit a second look. But here, just because it's a P2P value transfer system, it's supposed to function as a business that profits them directly? A P2P cryptocurrency isn't a small business. It's not a packaged product that you sell (well, the miners will sell the results in their use of it). It's not a charity system. If you want to get paid for running a service managed by you, then providing decentralized software is not the place to look!
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 05:00:43 AM

Just saying, why should someone with 1000's of dollars of mining equipment, get so much, while the developer could potentially get so little, of a coin they created?

Satoshi is the developer. I once upon a time thought I was at least giving him the genesis block coins when I made new chains, but I later learned oops he doesn't even get those!

If you are doing a scrypt coin, then maybe both Satoshi and Lolcust/Art or whoever are the developers, so maybe give first block coins to Satoshi and second block to them?

Then there is the clonecoin kiddie who does a search and replace changes a few ports and block rewards and such, not a developer at all whatsoever, just another "lets scam some money out of folks usuing what Satoshi and maybe also lolcust/art developed...

Heck how about you first bring Tenebrix and/or Fairbrix up to date with latest bitcoin code first to show us you actually can maintain/update an scrypt based coin before spawning yet another one to add to the backlog of scrypt based coins that are not yet up to date with latest bitcoin code?

-MarkM-

Hydroponica

fml

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 05:01:37 AM

Exactly.
If this were a forum for P2P filesharing tools, would we see clonetorrent developers whining that they should be able to backdoor their software so their own files get shared faster or they have more access? No one would give that shit a second look. But here, just because it's a P2P value transfer system, it's supposed to function as a business that profits them directly? A P2P cryptocurrency isn't a small business. It's not a packaged product that you sell (well, the miners will sell the results in their use of it). It's not a charity system. If you want to get paid for running a service managed by you, then providing decentralized software is not the place to look!

But, exchanges profit off the coins, faucets profit off the coins, gambling sites, pools, ect, ect, all these services profit off the coins, but the developer is not allowed to profit of their coins? Seriously? Are you on glue?

Hydroponica

fml

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 05:03:20 AM

Just saying, why should someone with 1000's of dollars of mining equipment, get so much, while the developer could potentially get so little, of a coin they created?

Satoshi is the developer. I once upon a time thought I was at least giving him the genesis block coins when I made new chains, but I later learned oops he doesn't even get those!

If you are doing a scrypt coin, then maybe both Satoshi and Lolcust/Art or whoever are the developers, so maybe give first block coins to Satoshi and second block to them?

Then there is the clonecoin kiddie who does a search and replace changes a few ports and block rewards and such, not a developer at all whatsoever, just another "lets scam some money out of folks usuing what Satoshi and maybe also lolcust/art developed...

Heck how about you first bring Tenebrix and/or Fairbrix up to date with latest bitcoin code first to show us you actually can maintain/update an scrypt based coin before spawning yet another one to add to the backlog of scrypt based coins that are not yet up to date with latest bitcoin code?

-MarkM-

LTC, is a BTC clone, with a different Crypto Algo...THE FUCKING CODE IS ALMOST IDENTICAL

AgentME

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 05:04:14 AM

Exactly.

But, exchanges profit off the coins, faucets profit off the coins, gambling sites, pools, ect, ect, all these services profit off the coins, but the developer is not allowed to profit of their coins? Seriously? Are you on glue?
And The Pirate Bay gets a shit-ton of ad money while relying on Torrent technology. Just because you're vaguely involved doesn't mean you're entitled to a profit by backdooring yourself a cut or undermining the system's integrity.
AgentME

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 05:05:29 AM

-MarkM-

LTC, is a BTC clone, with a different Crypto Algo...THE FUCKING CODE IS ALMOST IDENTICAL
LTC made much more innovation than 95% of the clonecoin litecoin-renames in this subforum. Most of the clonecoins change so much less.
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 05:08:15 AM

Again, the developers are Satoshi and lolcust/art, maybe with lolcust/art eclipsed lately by Colbee who at least DID bring Tenebrix/Fairbrix up to date in a kind of sleazy lefthanded way (he changed the name of the coin and the ports and so on, thus providing Tenebrix and Fairbrix with a template of updated code they could change back the names and ports etc of if they chose to, he called that template litecoin, and the rest, as they say, is history...)

As has been pointed out again and again and again, it would be ridiculously easy to make a coin generator that you tell it the new name new symbol new rewards etc etc and it generates a new coin, then feed it with random names images symbols rewards etc to have it spawn hundreds or thousands of new coins per day or maybe even hour.

The only reason that has not happened is the scamkiddies who want it are so utterly incapable of doing actual development that even such a trivially easy app as that is beyond their abilities...

In short, they are in no way shape or form "developers".

-MarkM-

P.S. And yes, one can easily leave lolcust/art and coblee off the list of developers, though coblee maybe could be called a maintainer in addition to a clonemaker.

Hydroponica

fml

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 05:09:13 AM

Again, the developers are Satoshi and lolcust/art, maybe with lolcust/art eclipsed lately by Colbee who at least DID bring Tenebrix/Fairbrix up to date in a kind of sleazy lefthanded way (he changed the name of the coin and the ports and so on, thus providing Tenebrix and Fairbrix with a template of updated code they could change back the names and ports etc of if they chose to, he called that template litecoin, and the rest, as they say, is history...)

As has been pointed out again and again and again, it would be ridiculously easy to make a coin generator that you tell it the new name new symbol new rewards etc etc and it generates a new coin, then feed it with random names images stymbols rewards etc to have it spawn hundreds or thousands of new coins per day or maybe even hour.

The only reason that has not happened is the scamkiddies who want it are so utterly incapable of doing actuial development that even such a trivially easy app as that is beyond their abilities...

-MarkM-

And I'm sorry, which coin did you create?

AgentME

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 05:12:46 AM

As has been pointed out again and again and again, it would be ridiculously easy to make a coin generator that you tell it the new name new symbol new rewards etc etc and it generates a new coin, then feed it with random names images stymbols rewards etc to have it spawn hundreds or thousands of new coins per day or maybe even hour.

The only reason that has not happened is the scamkiddies who want it are so utterly incapable of doing actuial development that even such a trivially easy app as that is beyond their abilities...

-MarkM-

And I'm sorry, which coin did you create?
He just explained exactly how useless that metric is.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: