Bitcoin Forum
July 20, 2024, 02:37:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice from experienced poker players?  (Read 390 times)
matthewjems1 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 05:18:22 AM
Last edit: July 18, 2013, 02:39:35 PM by matthewjems1

I'm just learning how to play poker and one of the things I'm learning is it's important to keep a straight face (poker face) throughout the game. I have a different strategy. I have an excited face when I have bad cards and a worried face when I have good cards. I also try not to play the same people too often otherwise, they might catch on to what I'm doing. What are your thoughts on this strategy? Any poker tips you want to share?

Activity: 15

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 05:36:08 AM

I'm not a poker player, but I do play a mean game of Masterpiece. You should change it up and be unpredictable. Stick with your strategy but change it up everyone once and a while so that they don't just read the opposite off you. You could maybe try going for the same smile every time you get cards and make that your "poker face." Although a good face reader might be able to notice slight changes in your expression regardless.
rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 11:23:39 AM

I'm just learning how to play poker and one of the things I'm learning is it's important to keep a straight face (poker face) throughout the game. I have a different strategy. I have an excited face when I have bad cards and a worried face when I have good cards. I also try not to play the same people too often otherwise, they might catch on to what I'm doing. What are your thoughts on this strategy? Any poker tips you want to share?

That may work well for one game... But what about a thousand games from now? Everyone will know your trick by then, and you'll end up losing.

Darwinism comes into play here: Neutral faces are the strongest.
Fonzy

Activity: 7

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 01:02:07 PM

Experienced people will catch onto that strategy at some point. Strong silent type seems to work best, leave your emotions at the door when you play. When blinds are small, try to play every hand you can, regardless if you think its a good one or not. Don't wait for big cards to fall into your hands, the blinds will eat away your chips. Go with your gut instinct when you can, but the most important thing of all is to try and have fun playing. Good luck  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: