Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:33:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Quantum computer will kill bitcoin  (Read 747 times)
tech72 (OP)

Activity: 427
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2017, 02:17:57 PM

Source1 http://www.newsweek.com/quantum-computers-kill-bitcoin-cryptocurrency-509053

Source2

So please tell me what other coin have “quantum resistance” future for now?
Please give me the name / list etc

Buying Instagram followers from Zeru.com was a smart move. Real profiles, quick delivery, and an organic boost to my presence. Fantastic service, highly satisfied.
Zeru.com exceeded my expectations. Bought Instagram followers, and my profile skyrocketed. Genuine engagement, prompt delivery—best investment in my online presence.
Absolutely thrilled with Zeru.com. Purchased Instagram followers, and the results are phenomenal. Authentic growth, reliable service, and exceptional customer support. Highly recommend.
Zeru.com is a game-changer. Acquired Instagram followers, and my influence soared. Organic engagement, instant delivery, and excellent customer service. Truly satisfied with the results.
Zeru.com delivered real YouTube subscribers, skyrocketing my channel's success. Trustworthy, efficient, and effective. The best investment for content creators.
Incredible service from Zeru.com. The Instagram likes I purchased were delivered instantly, boosting my online presence. Highly recommended for influencers.
Phenomenal experience with Zeru.com. Bought YouTube views and witnessed instant growth. Authentic engagement, timely delivery, and top-notch customer service. Absolutely satisfied.
Zeru.com is a game-changer. Buying Twitter followers from them boosted my online presence. Authenticity, quick delivery, and stellar customer service – a winning combination for social media success.
Zeru.com delivers as promised. Facebook likes purchase led to enhanced visibility. Trustworthy, efficient, and a game-changer for anyone aiming to boost social media presence.
Zeru.com delivers as promised. Increased my Instagram views instantly. Quality service, quick results, and their team ensures satisfaction. A reliable choice.
Impressed with Zeru.com prompt service and genuine YouTube likes. Increased engagement and visibility have skyrocketed my channel's success. Highly recommend.
Buying Facebook followers from Zeru.com was a game-changer. Authentic profiles, quick delivery, and excellent customer support. Highly recommended for growth. 5/5 Stars rating.
Zeru.com exceeded my expectations. The TikTok followers I bought were high-quality, instantly elevating my content and giving my profile the attention it deserves.
Zeru.com delivers TikTok likes that matter. Genuine engagement, instant credibility, and a noticeable spike in my video views. An absolute game-changer.
Zeru.com
SocialMediaPanel.com is my trusted partner for social growth. Their SMM Panel, Social Media Panel, delivers authentic social media engagement, boosting my online presence effectively.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GeePeeU

Activity: 538
Merit: 251

ASK

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 02:21:33 PM

Quantum computing will fuck up a lot more than just Cryptography.
I think cryptocurrencies will be the least of our worries if they begin a functional, physical, prototype.

Always doubt.
DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 02:28:45 PM

Quantum computing means no password in the world will be safe. It will be able to brute force and crack passwords for almost anything. Bitcoin will be the least of your worries when someone breaks into government accounts and steals all the money in the world. Bitcoin is such a small piece of the world's money for now.

Stop spreading fear and anxiety. Quantum computers might not come in our lifetime.
Snorren

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 02:37:45 PM

Why the fuck would someone "drive up the markets to short them" if they can crack the passwords to btc acc with their super computer? It's like the worst plan ever.

Just take the money from everyone's accounts? This would include all accounts, including fiat bank accounts.........
tech72 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2017, 02:46:23 PM

Quantum computing means no password in the world will be safe. It will be able to brute force and crack passwords for almost anything. Bitcoin will be the least of your worries when someone breaks into government accounts and steals all the money in the world. Bitcoin is such a small piece of the world's money for now.

Stop spreading fear and anxiety. Quantum computers might not come in our lifetime.

"Earlier this year, a new €1 billion ($1.1 billion) project was announced by the European Commission aimed at bringing about a “quantum revolution.”"

I think 5-20 years top from now.

Technology move super fast right now.

From NOKIA 3310 into iphone (that can be use to snap hd pic, video, apps, bangking, internet, gaming, computer inside single small phone), all in just 5 years!

Buying Instagram followers from Zeru.com was a smart move. Real profiles, quick delivery, and an organic boost to my presence. Fantastic service, highly satisfied.
Zeru.com exceeded my expectations. Bought Instagram followers, and my profile skyrocketed. Genuine engagement, prompt delivery—best investment in my online presence.
Absolutely thrilled with Zeru.com. Purchased Instagram followers, and the results are phenomenal. Authentic growth, reliable service, and exceptional customer support. Highly recommend.
Zeru.com is a game-changer. Acquired Instagram followers, and my influence soared. Organic engagement, instant delivery, and excellent customer service. Truly satisfied with the results.
Zeru.com delivered real YouTube subscribers, skyrocketing my channel's success. Trustworthy, efficient, and effective. The best investment for content creators.
Incredible service from Zeru.com. The Instagram likes I purchased were delivered instantly, boosting my online presence. Highly recommended for influencers.
Phenomenal experience with Zeru.com. Bought YouTube views and witnessed instant growth. Authentic engagement, timely delivery, and top-notch customer service. Absolutely satisfied.
Zeru.com is a game-changer. Buying Twitter followers from them boosted my online presence. Authenticity, quick delivery, and stellar customer service – a winning combination for social media success.
Zeru.com delivers as promised. Facebook likes purchase led to enhanced visibility. Trustworthy, efficient, and a game-changer for anyone aiming to boost social media presence.
Zeru.com delivers as promised. Increased my Instagram views instantly. Quality service, quick results, and their team ensures satisfaction. A reliable choice.
Impressed with Zeru.com prompt service and genuine YouTube likes. Increased engagement and visibility have skyrocketed my channel's success. Highly recommend.
Buying Facebook followers from Zeru.com was a game-changer. Authentic profiles, quick delivery, and excellent customer support. Highly recommended for growth. 5/5 Stars rating.
Zeru.com exceeded my expectations. The TikTok followers I bought were high-quality, instantly elevating my content and giving my profile the attention it deserves.
Zeru.com delivers TikTok likes that matter. Genuine engagement, instant credibility, and a noticeable spike in my video views. An absolute game-changer.
Zeru.com
SocialMediaPanel.com is my trusted partner for social growth. Their SMM Panel, Social Media Panel, delivers authentic social media engagement, boosting my online presence effectively.
ask
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 02:48:43 PM

If you mean Quantum computers are going to be able to crack SHA256 then this will not only kill crypto currencies.
All bank securities are running on SHA256 and SHA512 then this will be end of the ecosystem and this will not happen.

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 02:50:10 PM

If you mean Quantum computers are going to be able to crack SHA256 then this will not only kill crypto currencies.
All bank securities are running on SHA256 and SHA512 then this will be end of the ecosystem and this will not happen.

Typical case of someone opening a thread who doesn't really understand what he is talking about
tech72 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2017, 02:52:18 PM

They can upgrade their system easily.

For bitcoin err u mean another fork?

Zeru.com
followmenot

Activity: 533
Merit: 251

Streamity Decentralized cryptocurrency exchange

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 03:05:49 PM

I think quantum computers won't only kill bitcoin, they will kill most of altcoins as well. But there are already quantum resistance alternatives you can start investing.

▄▄  ▄▄                
            ██  ▀▀  ▀▀   ██           
        ██                   ██

██  ██  ▄▄            
     ██    ██           ▀▀  ▄▄        
                  ███       ▀▀        
   ██    ██   ███      ███     ██     
                          ███         
  ██   ██   ██    ███ ███    ▄▄   ██  
               ███           ▀▀       
  ██   ██  ███           ███  ██   ██ 
                     ███              
    ▄▄  ██    ███ ███     ▄▄  ██   ██ 
    ▀▀    ▄▄              ▀▀          
      ▄▄  ▀▀          ███    ██   ██  
      ▀▀      ██  ███                 
         ██              ███    ███   
             ██  ██  ███              
       ██                    ██       
           ███  ▄▄▄  ▄▄  ███          
                ▀▀▀  ▀▀               

STREAMITY

Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
  Telegram
LinkedIn
Medium
kaya11

Activity: 1302
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 03:06:01 PM

Typical case of someone opening a thread who doesn't really understand what he is talking about

An alarming post, if this is for real what would happen to the world. I guess it's not real, if it is real deal then they won't bother telling you that Bitcoin wallet are not safe anymore and can be cracked down with super computers. Well if I owned computers like that I would slowly drain your accounts and you would never know what happened. There is a reason why they  have said that and not to warn people but put fears in them and might sell their Bitcoin at low price, who knows.
Ix

Activity: 218
Merit: 128

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 03:15:34 PM

SHA256 is not "encryption" in the traditional sense, as noted in the reddit post - it is not what is used to secure your wallet. It is a hash algorithm, and it is not broken by quantum computing. ECDSA and most other non-hash bashed signature algorithms can be broken trivially by a powerful enough quantum computer.

Banks and passwords are still secure because they use hashing algorithms like SHA256 to protect passwords. And those hashed passwords (and bank ledgers) are NOT public like the blockchain. Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies are most definitely the biggest target for quantum computing. The other big problem would be the PKI for web security, that is also toast, but it is also easier to switch it to post quantum cryptography.
bribed

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 03:23:09 PM

Is quantum computing really this far off? I remember reading somewhere that big corporations like amazon and MS, Google are already working on this technology and have made quite some progression. Governments are surely also researching in the field. Please tell me that this was just FUD and quantum computing wont be availible any time soon. This scenario is really scary, not only for BTC but for the whole world. If this kind of power would be into the wrong hands, the damage that can be made would be irreversible.
As for coins that target quantum computing protection there is QRL (quantum resistent ledger) as I know of.
tech72 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2017, 03:59:24 PM

I think we no need to be scare about it much.

Since boxming already explained regarding of this issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyKHiJWjMPI

It will took at least 15 years before we have first fully working quantum computer.

In the mean time, we have 15 years time to build strategy on how to make the blokchain technology resistant to it.

Currently, even btc dev have a plan to integrate quantum resistant extension with bitcoin blockchain network.

Zeru.com
subitlist

Activity: 70

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 04:40:35 PM

couldnt be bitcoin transform to qubit?
there are some people feeling threatened by the bitcoin/crypto growth.
publicjud
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

twet.ch/inv/62d7ae96

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 04:44:55 PM

I guess if quantum computers appear there will be significant changes at the BTC and other cryptos. BTW there will be huge problems not only at crypto market)) Plus I guess quantum miners will appear asap Wink

Join Twetch twet.ch/inv/62d7ae96
kayeme

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 04:45:09 PM

No it won't, they will just fork the code long before quantum computers or any other new future technology poses any threat whatsoever.
cau

Activity: 156

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 06:14:47 PM

X-posting from QRL thread -

Look for Deezeyay's excellent explanation on how things will get hacked with the key address... It was scary to know that even after hard fork during the coin swap with the old key address things will get exposed

As to other already existing cryptocurrencies forking into quantum proof crypto, there is a huge problem that's worth mentioning: even if they successfully fork their blockchain into a quantum proof crypto, their old coins can still be hacked as if they where not protected by quantum proof cryptography. Here's why:
    Whether you hard-fork like BTC and end up with 2 coins like BTC and BCH or whether you hard-fork like ETH where you end up with 1 coin: after the fork, your coins or coin will be where you had your old coin: in a wallet or an exchange. This means it’s still accessible through your old private key. This old private key is NOT quantum proof, that's simply how forking works, you can't just make the old private key disappear. If the new coin wouldn’t be connected with the old private key, how would it end up in your wallet/ exchange and be accessible for you? So to finalize the quantum proof update, you will need to move your quantum proof coin to another wallet. That way you leave the old private key behind you with the old wallet. Your coins in your new wallet will only be accessible with your new quantum proof private key. Simple right? Guess what:
    • Not everybody will do that. That’s just human nature. (People don't read, or read half, don't understand, postpone, don't care, don't know how or don't see the poin in any other way)

• There are a lot of coins lost or unaccessible because people lost their password or got locked out in another way. It happens a lot. So especially with coins that exist for a while like BTC and ETH, there are a lot of coins that nobody even CAN move to a new wallet. All these coins will still be accessable through the old private key after "quantum proving" the blockchain.
    [/li]
    [/list]
    So lots of new quantum proof coins, will not be moved away from the old private key and be accessible through both their old private key and their new quantum proof private key. It’s like when your house has a cardboard front door anybody can walk through. And to fix that, your make an new unbreakable door and install that as your backdoor, while leaving your front door as it was. As long as you don’t build a brick wall where your cardboard door is, people can still walk in your house and steal your stuff.

Thank you for this explanation. I was wondering about Quantum resistance is something that could be developed for existing Blockchains through forks. As I understand it you say that it could be possible?! Then the market for QRL might be a bit diminished since it is going to be hard to replace brand names sush as BitCoin.

The best thing for QRL would be proof of concept of that a quantum computer can break BitCoin encryption before they even lifted this as a risk. Since then people will panic and look somewhere else. It is for this that QRL will need a strong brand name to get people to flock to it.

No, you don't get it. I did not say it can be done. The question if a blockchain can be made quantum proof by forking is a different discussion, but is not relevant. Why? Because it would be useless even if it COULD be done. The point is this, and I will try to explain again below:
    ALL existing crypto with coins or tokens out (ERC20 or the final product), can NEVER quantum-secure all their existing coins/ tokens and will therefore be at risk of having coins hacked and mass sold when quantum computers are in full function.
    So let me rephrase that for clarity: even if they could upgrade their blockchain to a quantum secure blockchain, they can’t automatically secure the coins people own. These coins can still be hacked after a quantum proof update.

I’ll try to explain again but I’ll have to start at the beginning, so don’t blame me if it sounds basic:
    A crypto has coins (or tokens). These coins are stored in wallets or on an exchange. As an owner of these coins, you want to be the only one to be able to access the coins and move them if you wish. So to protect your property, your coins are stored on an address: your public key. Your private key gives you the authorization to move them to another address (on an exchange it’s different because you don’t have the private key there yourself, but the result is the same: if someone cracks the main private key, they can steal your coins). Your public key can be known by others and is public, but your private key obviously not. If anybody gets your private key, they can get access and steal your coins.
    Now how do you get these public and private keys? If you get a public key (address), the blockchain gives you the private key that comes with that public key. If you lose the private key, you will be locked out of the public key (the address) and you will never be able to get your coins out of there ever again. Blockchains can’t just email you a new private key, because the only way a blockchain knows you’re the owner, is if you show the private key. So if you lose it, you can’t prove anything, and your locked out for good. That is why blockchains are so secure.
    So the only access to your coins that are stored on your public key, is through your private key. Private keys can not be hacked by normal computers. But quantum computers can hack the normal private keys. Now if a blockchain is quantum proof, they give you a public key with a quantum proof private key. So this private key can not be hacked by a quantum computer, and your coins are safe in that case. Now you think “ok, so if a blockchain upgrades to a quantum proof blockchain, the problem is solved”. But the problem is, if a blockchain already exists, there are millions of coins out there that NEED to be accessible by their owners after the fork or upgrade.

To understand why that is a problem, and why that can’t be solved, we need to understand how a fork works: so how can a blockchain be upgraded and still give the owners of the coins access to their coins.
    After the fork, everybody needs to have the exact same amount of coins they had before the fork. So there will be a 1:1 tokenswap. Everyone who owns an amount of tokens of the old blockchain, will own that same amount of tokens of the new blockchain. To accomplish that, you will NEED to keep the old private keys active until the owner moves it’s coins to a new address: a public key that is accessible only through a new quantum proof private key. (Maybe another option would be that you wouldn’t need to move your coins to a new address, but the old private key would be de-activated after you claimed your new quantum proof private key. I don’t know if this last option is even possible, but if it would be possible, it would still mean that your old private key needs to be active after the fork until the owner uses it and actively de-activates it.)
    So: 

- The blockchain "knows" the amount of tokens you have at that specific time, and thus the amount of tokens you are entitled to, by looking at your public key. (Like for example etherscan does.)

- They can only send these tokens to its rightful owner, by sending them to that exact public key (address). That way it is guaranteed that only the rightful owner can access them, because only he has access to that address (The old private key and old public key). So then the new coins are on you old address, that is still accessible through your old private key. Now, even if it would technically possible, the blockchain can't erase the old private key or replace it with a new one, because then the owner would not be able to access his coins. Remember: he doesn’t HAVE the new private key. It’s not like you can get your new private key by email. So the blockchain needs to allow you to enter with your old private key, even if they just upgraded itself to a quantum proof blockchain. So your coins are NOT protected by that blockchains new and improved quantum proof private keys. Not until you have accessed your coins through your old private key. Then you would need to move them, or de-activate the old private key to lock your coins up in a way that it’s only accessible with a quantum proof private key.

So what you need to understand is this: after a blockchain is upgraded to a quantum secure blockchain, ALL coins are still accessible through the old private keys, and therefore still hackable by quantum computers. So even though this blockchain can claim to be quantum proof, their coins are NOT until the owner accesses them and takes action.

Now we come to the next point I wrote before, where you will see why a big amount of the coins of an upgraded blockchain will never become quantum secure:

- Not all owners of coins will take the necessary action. That’s just human nature. (People don't read, or read half, don't understand, postpone, don't care, don't know how or don't see the point in any other way)

- There are a lot of coins without an actual active owner: the owners lost their private key, their password or got locked out in another way. It happens a lot. So especially with coins that exist for a while like BTC and ETH, there are a lot of coins that nobody even CAN move to a new wallet. Don’t underestimate the total amount of these coins. All these coins will still be accessible through the old private key after "quantum proving" the blockchain because the owners need to move them, or de-activate the old private key to lock your coins up with a quantum proof private key.

So lots of new quantum proof coins, will not be moved away from the old private key and be accessible through both their old private key and their new quantum proof private key. It’s like when your house has a cardboard front door anybody can walk through. And to fix that, your make an new unbreakable door and install that as your backdoor, while leaving your front door as it was. As long as you don’t build a brick wall where your cardboard door is, people can still walk in your house and steal your stuff.
    So the only conclusion can be: Even if you could upgrade an existing blockchain to a quantum proof blockchain (and wether or not that is possible is still open for discussion), then still, a big part of their circulating supply can be hacked. Is that a problem? Yes, even if you move and secure your own coins, if others are stolen and sold, your coins will drop in value dramatically, and panic sales would be all around.
    sp_skeptic

Activity: 110
    Merit: 14

View Profile
    December 10, 2017, 04:31:08 PM

I think there is a basic misunderstanding here. The Bitcoin blockchain does not store public keys; it stores public key hashes. When you do a transaction, your public key is checked against the public key hash in the blockchain to verify that it's your bitcoin, then the transaction can take place.

Quantum computers aren't particularly good at breaking hashes (which is why hash-based digital signatures are used in quantum resistant cryptography), and will not be able to get a public key from a public key hash anytime soon. The threat is that given a public key, they can calculate the private key and hijack the transaction. The window for doing this is at the time of the transaction and before the transaction is incorporated into the blockchain, because it is only then that the actual public key is exposed. If one were to keep some bitcoin in the address from which a transaction is sent, an attacker, having obtained the public key, could break it at his leisure and eventually access the rest of the bitcoin in that address. But this is already considered very bad practice and nobody does this.

The idea that the entire blockchain is vulnerable to a quantum computer is incorrect, at least for the forseeable future. Grover's algorithm can be used on a quantum computer to break hashes, but it's much less efficient than Shor's algorithm. Therefore ECC will be broken long before quantum computers can threaten hashes.

Or so I understand it.

The Quantum Resistant Ledger (QRL) is a coin that is designed to resist quantum computers. Others are Curecoin and Iota.
    Ix

Activity: 218
    Merit: 128

View Profile
    December 10, 2017, 09:06:49 PM

I think there is a basic misunderstanding here. The Bitcoin blockchain does not store public keys; it stores public key hashes.

I don't know the exact count, but early versions of bitcoin mining paid out to public keys, not hashes. I think the first 1mil or so bitcoins mined by Satoshi and a few others are not hashed and are therefore vulnerable. Plus there is not a requirement to pay to hashes, there are plenty of other public keys on the blockchain for sure.
    danieljefrry

Activity: 108

View Profile
    December 10, 2017, 09:22:03 PM

Sounds scary, what do you guys think about Quantum, will it exist in the next 5-10 years time? Also name few examples crypto with Quantum proof. Gotta buy some of them.
    Pages: [1] 2 »  All
      Print  

Jump to: