Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:54:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "International Press" forum section  (Read 1565 times)
paraipan (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 10:06:34 AM

I would like to propose the opening of a new "International Press" forum section where people can submit news articles in any language, preferably in English of course. They will follow the international formatting guidelines, like date inclusion in thread title DD-MM-YYYY, without being forced to adhere to the US standard YYYY-MM-DD.

Your thoughts?

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 10:11:01 AM

I would like to propose the opening of a new "International Press" forum section where people can submit news articles in any language, preferably in English of course. They will follow the international formatting guidelines, like date inclusion in thread title DD-MM-YYYY, without being forced to adhere to the US date standard YYYY-MM-DD.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts?
You've become obsessed about the date format.
BTW, that is not the US date standard.
The US date standard would be MM/DD/YY.

YYYY-MM-DD has been agreed upon for a reason:
It allows sorting in alphabetical and date order with the same results.

Again:

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 10:16:10 AM
Last edit: July 13, 2013, 11:13:00 AM by escrow.ms

Well in my opinion there should be a Press/News team and a "Submission" section.
People should be able to post in "submission section" only and then news team should make thread in Press section with proper formatting after verifying news.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12983

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 10:49:18 AM

As a compromise date format, we should use "13/07-15/15-07/2013". Then no one could possibly be confused.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 10:59:12 AM

The Press section is starting to be used like Reddit. Every Tom with a blog thinks he has the right to post a link to his mediocre articles. The date format is the least of your problems.
Besides, the current format isn't about being US or Non-US. It's about people being able to properly order the posts.
/dev/null

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 11:05:21 AM

As a compromise date format, we should use "13/07-15/15-07/2013". Then no one could possibly be confused.

Why not just use JULY or JUL instead of 07. ie 15 July 2013

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 11:10:08 AM

Q.:

A.:

Serious Question: Why can't people understand the above and stop picking on the way the date is written once and for all?
paraipan (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 11:40:28 AM

+1 that would be nice

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 11:50:30 AM

I suggest we use stardates instead.
"-309465.75342465757" is clearly more readable than "13/07-15/15-07/2013".

Seriously, we should stick with what we have.
Do you really want kiba to go over all the dates so far againGrin

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 12:27:21 PM

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 12:53:20 PM

Q.:

A.:

Serious Question: Why can't people understand the above and stop picking on the way the date is written once and for all?

Serious Answer: it's not about dates at all - it's a displacement battle about Empire.

As you say, the Y-M-D format is not the American norm, rather it is a form preferred by computer folk everywhere for ease of sorting and retrieval. I've used it routinely since the mid-1960s - I am not American. OP perceives it to be an American contrivance though and that is his sticking point.

However, OP's proposal would reinforce American exceptionalism rather than reduce it - it would have the unintended effect of compartmentalizing news from that one country (5% of the populace) into a special case thread separate from news from the rest of the world (95% populace).

As for actual date issues... luckily Y2K is fresh enough that nobody is proposing two-digit year formats yet, and the community is not quite geeky enough to go for internal Unix format (the ubergeeky stardate proposal is a fun touch). I would have expected someone to trot out ISO 8601 in detail by now - the XKCD cartoon upthread hints at it, but stops short of its full bludgeon power.

An anecdote, if I may: in 1969 I had an eccentric boss who decided not to pay IBM's monthly mainframe lease bill on the grounds that the billing date used "American format", namely M-D-Y. Needless to say, IBM was not amused. "The boss" didn't hold his job much longer, but for other reasons. My point is that I've seen "date format wars" before - interestingly that one was also about perceived American exceptionalism but the actual proposed solution (Y-M-D) was the very format that OP objects to now. Same tune, different lyrics.

This isn't about date formats at all.       Smiley
mnyonpa

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 01:01:34 PM

YYYY-MM-DD is Chinese date format Smiley

BTC address for donations: 1EEjkAqLXTxscD24D1S6aXWtxPUWxSkHcd
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 01:03:30 PM

The YYYY-MM-DD is the ISO format and also the most common format used in (mainland) China - with all the confusion with US MM-DD or English DD-MM it only took me a short while to actually *prefer* the ISO format (it's also the best way to store dates in a DB as you can search efficiently on a year or a month within a year as well as a specific date).

If other formats are really wanted then they should be in their own sub-forums (i.e. US News, British News, etc.).

YYYY-MM-DD is Chinese date format Smiley

Not for Hong Kong though (down there they still use DD-MM-YYYY) and I'm not sure about Taiwan.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 01:09:41 PM

If other formats are really wanted then they should be in their own sub-forums (i.e. US News, British News, etc.).

That's exactly what the OP is requesting. But is date formatting a valid reason to create more sub-forums? Really? Will people start posting dupe threads just to use a different date format on the title? Huh
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 01:11:43 PM

But is date formatting a valid reason to create more sub-forums?

It does seem a little silly - but wars have been fought over less. Smiley

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

Greydon Isis

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 01:22:00 PM

I would like to propose the opening of a new "International Press" forum section where people can submit news articles in any language, preferably in English of course. They will follow the international formatting guidelines, like date inclusion in thread title DD-MM-YYYY, without being forced to adhere to the US standard YYYY-MM-DD.

Your thoughts?

format is less important than content in my opinion~~
paraipan (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 02:47:12 PM

Your thoughts?

Agree with you, but some individuals impose formats using their influence disregarding content. I would rather see free market chose formats and leave silly acts of submission be a thing of the past.

I advocate for a free market and all of you know that or found out in two years while on these parts of the Internets. Why not leave programmers invent or write tools that help us sort or do automatic things creating demand for it, jobs at the same time?

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 02:54:19 PM

Agree with you, but some individuals impose formats using their influence disregarding content. I would rather see free market chose formats and leave silly acts of submission be a thing of the past.

The problem is one of clear communication - if a date is written as DD/MM or MM/DD then unless the day is > 12 it is ambiguous - if written in the form YYYY-MM-DD it is not.

I prefer the less ambiguous and DB query friendly format even though I grew up in country that uses a different format (same as I learned to write XX AUD rather than $XX).

Greydon Isis

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 02:59:47 PM

Your thoughts?

I advocate for a free market and all of you know that or found out in two years while on these parts of the Internets. Why not leave programmers invent or write tools that help us sort or do automatic things creating demand for it, jobs at the same time?

free market demands transparency we all do what we can~~~
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 04:21:11 PM

This thread is one of the most successful examples of trolling I've seen in a while.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: