Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:53:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinPal beta - Buying bitcoins with PayPal  (Read 170515 times)
EvanR

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 06:50:53 PM

So it's a scam?

Or paypal is stealing peoples money??
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 07:42:16 PM

Withdrawing via Virwox/Second Life still seems to work ok.  I would imagine going the other way would be safe as well.  Paypal has been doing business with Second Life for a long time, so it is unlikely that you would raise any red flags going that route.

I think I will no longer do any sort of direct bitcoin <-> Paypal transactions though.  All of these accounts getting frozen is making me rather averse to the idea.
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 09:12:04 PM

So it's a scam?

Or paypal is stealing peoples money??

Actually, according to the reports, it seams it's Paypal itself doing it. For "verification" (ripoff) purposes, I guess.

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
dr-mosfet

Activity: 1

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 09:53:59 PM

Hi, I have been tiring to buy bitcoin with paypal and came across your site, and send Paypal a Email, asking if they allow buying bitcoin. the reply:
I can assure you that there is no policy against the purchase of
BitCoins, however it is possible that BitCoin simply do not accept
payment through PayPal.
The reply might mean that the front line that replys to this E-mails has no ideal what Bitcoin is?
if enough people sends them E-mail asking for Bitcoins, they might give it some weight in future decision.
I will attempt inform them of what a Bitcoin is.

By the way, sorry if some one posted a similar reply, a lot of people have a lot to say about this, and i can't read it all.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 10:01:09 PM

Hi, I have been tiring to buy bitcoin with paypal and came across your site, and send Paypal a Email, asking if they allow buying bitcoin. the reply:
I can assure you that there is no policy against the purchase of
BitCoins, however it is possible that BitCoin simply do not accept
payment through PayPal.
The reply might mean that the front line that replys to this E-mails has no ideal what Bitcoin is?
if enough people sends them E-mail asking for Bitcoins, they might give it some weight in future decision.
I will attempt inform them of what a Bitcoin is.

By the way, sorry if some one posted a similar reply, a lot of people have a lot to say about this, and i can't read it all.
Interesting.  Care to post the full email here?  Definitely update on any future replies they come back with...

Discrepancies in what their employees tell us may force Paypal to outright announce that Bitcoin transactions aren't allowed.  It'd be good publicity.  Smiley
darbsllim

Activity: 297
Merit: 251

Founder, Filmmaker, Fun Guy

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 09:56:09 AM

You shouldn't wait to get involved in bitcoin projects! You have a great mind for what's needed and what people like!

I'm still very interested in Bitcoin and plan to continue working on Bitcoin projects.  The Bitcoin ecosystem can change a lot in a few months.  When that time comes, I'll see what needs can be met and go from there.

If you still have that anti-fraud software available, I'd love to talk to you about licensing it for some of my bitcoin projects to save us some time on that end.

Send me a PM!

Brad

Brad Mills,
Investor - Former miner - Former Bitcoin Business Owner - Survivor of the Great Bitcoin Crashes of 2011 and 2012, the MtGox Heist of 2014 & the 2017 crypto bubble.
Bitrated user: bradmillscan.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 10:14:42 AM

If you still have that anti-fraud software available, I'd love to talk to you about licensing it for some of my bitcoin projects to save us some time on that end.

Send me a PM!

Brad
You'll probably get a faster response sending him an email, see http://ndrix.com/ .

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
cloud9

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 11:48:33 PM

mndrix: 

When selling BTC, you could maybe pursue becoming a merchant accepting Credit Card payments for BTC digital cryptographic key rights, and not process your credit card customer's purchases through Paypal. 

Then when you buy BTC digital cryptographic key rights, you could maybe still pay your sellers with paypal because of your good reputation with your BTC sellers - that you will not reverse any paypal payments.

BTC being anonymous is open to discussion, BTC being an e-currency and not maybe just plain digital cryptographic key rights is open to discussion.

TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 02:05:41 AM

Pardon my ignorance, what exactly is a "BTC digital cryptographic key rights"?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
AntiVigilante

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 04:28:30 AM

Pardon my ignorance, what exactly is a "BTC digital cryptographic key rights"?

Rights to numbers in wallets as opposed to the value.

Proposal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11541.msg162881#msg162881
Inception: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/296
Goal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12536.0
Means: Code, donations, and brutal criticism. I've got a thick skin. 1Gc3xCHAzwvTDnyMW3evBBr5qNRDN3DRpq
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 04:48:09 AM

you mean the private keys?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
forbun

Activity: 107

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2011, 02:45:46 PM

This whole situation has reminded me once again why distributed, resilient systems like Bitcoin and OTC are so important.

I love this statement.

What name would you give to the smallest unit of bitcoin (0.00000001)? sat. What name would you give to 100 sats? bit. 1 bit = 1 uBTC. 1,000,000 bits = 1 BTC. It's bits
mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

Activity: 447
Merit: 258

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 03:14:53 PM

PayPal thawed my account today (after 6 months).  My full PayPal balance is being transferred to my bank account.  I received two small chargebacks shortly after the freeze and none for the following 5.5 months.  Those chargebacks didn't materially affect the fraud rates I mentioned in April.

My plan is to bring back CoinCard within the next month or so (minus PayPal plus a couple other payment methods).  Once that's running smoothly again, I'll start implementing credit card payments on CoinPal.  I don't have a timeline, but I think my anti-fraud systems are up to the task.  I've kind of missed swimming with the sharks :-)
Coinabul

Activity: 588

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2011, 03:17:30 PM

I do believe AccessCoin beat you to the punch on the creditcard idea. Sad

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2011, 03:59:02 PM

PayPal thawed my account today (after 6 months).  My full PayPal balance is being transferred to my bank account.  I received two small chargebacks shortly after the freeze and none for the following 5.5 months.  Those chargebacks didn't materially affect the fraud rates I mentioned in April.

My plan is to bring back CoinCard within the next month or so (minus PayPal plus a couple other payment methods).  Once that's running smoothly again, I'll start implementing credit card payments on CoinPal.  I don't have a timeline, but I think my anti-fraud systems are up to the task.  I've kind of missed swimming with the sharks :-)
Great news!

A service that charges 20% extra doesn't count.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 06:04:40 PM

MemoryDealers beat me too it also (via physical delivery).  As I understand it, AccessCoin uses Google Checkout whose ToS prohibit currency exchange.  I'm sure Google will be friendlier than PayPal was, so I wish AccessCoin the best of luck.

I don't want to promise a specific fee at this point, but I'll be disappointed with myself if it's above 10%.  High fees tend to discourage honest customers, leaving only the fraudulent ones using the service.
Coinabul

Activity: 588

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2011, 06:08:53 PM

MemoryDealers beat me too it also (via physical delivery).  As I understand it, AccessCoin uses Google Checkout whose ToS prohibit currency exchange.  I'm sure Google will be friendlier than PayPal was, so I wish AccessCoin the best of luck.

I don't want to promise a specific fee at this point, but I'll be disappointed with myself if it's above 10%.  High fees tend to discourage honest customers, leaving only the fraudulent ones using the service.
I thought Google Checkout was friendly to digital currency?

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 07:32:13 PM

It's always a little hard to tell how the ToS will be interpreted.  Google says they prohibit "wholesale currency" transactions which includes "currency exchanges."  I don't know whether Google's legal department considers Bitcoin a currency.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 02:25:01 AM

Not at all.

Months ago, I ran the Bitcoin Store, which sold bitcoins in return for Liberty Reserve / GlobalDigitalPay / etc.  Tried to add Google Checkout, and was explicitly denied within 24 hours of adding G.C. to my site.  When bitcoins were explained to Google, they pointed me to the "no digital currencies" portion of their ToS.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
px403

Activity: 18

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 08:39:46 AM

I run btcnow.net, and after months of fighting with google checkout (got my IPN code working tonight), I'm taking my chances with paypal (with some major restrictions).  It will be a good test to see if they are still hostile towards bitcoin.  I operated fine on checkout for a while, but once one jackass got it in their head that it was some sort of criminal scam, they banned my account, and hunted down any new ones I tried to open up.  They said I didn't violate any TOS, but my business model was just "incompatible" with google checkout, and they wouldn't tell me anything more for "security reasons".
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: