Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:50:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Have some old BTC. How to manage BCH when transferring to an online wallet?  (Read 153 times)
Mr. Flibble (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 07:00:34 PM

Hi. Firstly - apologies if this has been asked many times before. I searched but came up empty.

I have some BTC stored locally. I want to cash out a portion by sending to an online exchange. But I don't know what to do regards BCH. Is it safe to send BTC to an online wallet using Bitcoin Core client? If I do this will BCH also be sent to the online wallet, or retained by me, or lost?

Any advice or pointers to article appreceiated.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 07:11:03 PM

Hi. Firstly - apologies if this has been asked many times before. I searched but came up empty.

I have some BTC stored locally. I want to cash out a portion by sending to an online exchange. But I don't know what to do regards BCH. Is it safe to send BTC to an online wallet using Bitcoin Core client? If I do this will BCH also be sent to the online wallet, or retained by me, or lost?

Any advice or pointers to article appreceiated.

First of all, what software you using? Im asuming you are using Bitcoin Core or electrum or maybe a Trezor?

Anyway, what you need to do is to move your bitcoins into a new, empty wallet. Once you empty your current wallet (BTC balance is 0) you can use this wallet.dat file in Bitcoin ABC if you are using Core, or you can just import your empty private keys on a Bitcoin Cash wallet. Just be sure to know what you are doing and you will be ok. The key is to not having matching addresses with balances on Bitcoin's chain and BCash's chain.
Mr. Flibble (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 08:19:08 PM

Thanks. I'm using Bitcoin Core. So, I should
- use Bitcoin core to send my BTC to a new address (which could be an online wallet address such as Coinbase / Bitstamp  etc)
- once my wallet is empty then use my wallet.dat with Bitcoin ABC
- My BCC will be available in Bitcoin ABC to send where I like

And, based on the above, the following is true:
- sending BTC using Bitcoin Core does not cause BCC to be sent anywhere and your BCC remain safely in your wallet.dat

Is this all correct?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: