Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:38:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Speed up blockchain refresh in simplewallet (Electroneum)  (Read 637 times)
Pilchard (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 72
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 12:59:01 AM
Last edit: December 10, 2017, 01:12:27 AM by Pilchard

If anyone has a solution for this problem I'll pay for your coffee for a week as this is becoming a serious pain for me...

Since I like to make new wallets for each significant transaction, and each time I do and need to import the new generated paper wallet into the Cli wallet,  the block refresh for the new wallet takes over 52 minutes.  As you can imagine this is taking up a fair amount of time when I have to do it for every major transaction I make.

There must be some way to speed up the Refresh sync in simplewallet (on the electroneum blockchain rather than monero)

Here's an example with a testing purposes wallet, check the time in windows...

https://imgur.com/R2Oft0U

to

https://imgur.com/t24WDAG

I'm wondering what the bottle neck is here that's causing it to take so long,  My Ryzen 1600 cpu is only at around 14%,    and it's not even pegging one core at 100% so it's not a CPU or singlethread bottleneck..

I have a Samsung 850 pro 256gb SSD,  and it's using hardly any disk speed so it's not a disk access bottleneck..

It's only using about 170ish MB of ram....

So all I can think of is it's a network/internet bottleneck of some kind.....

There should be a way to download the entire Electroneum blockchain and have the wallet scan that for transactions upon creating a new recovered wallet using keys ,  using the fast SSD rather than slow network....?

I've read a little on this subject concerning monero,  which electroneum is a fork of,  anything that works for monero should also work for electroneum.

Here for example it mentions downloading the blockchain...
https://www.monero.how/tutorial-how-to-speed-up-initial-blockchain-sync
However,  I've not yet found how to download Electroneums .raw blockchain data from a trusted source as is available for monero...
And this seems for the most part only be for speeding up the Daemons initial Synchronization with the blockchain rather than the blockchain refresh upon creating a new wallet....

Anyone have any ideas?   Thankyou in advance :-)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Pilchard (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 08:57:12 AM

Also,  another possibility would be to somehow push a raw transaction,  you should be able to do that with a wallet with the keys to a paper wallet surely?

Restore the wallet from the paper wallet keys,   set the refresh height to the current block.   It won't show the balance but you should still be able to generate a signed transaction hexidecimal string from that,  then get a transaction pusher to send the transaction to the blockchain right?

Problem is I have no idea how to go about doing this for electroneum.  Can anyone help please?
s30zgt

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 05:49:11 PM

Was having the same problem until i learned how to close the cli wallet correctly.

Start electroneumd and let it sync completely
Run the cli wallet exe normally and let it refresh to the current block.
After it completes its refresh, type in "exit" instead of closing the window. This will save the the cli wallet to the last time it was opened and will only need to refresh to the current block the next time its used.

Save me a lot of time.

You can tip to:
etnkD2rdRbD8yx8F4GgVEH4SrHuKuX57XJ4GWu6gLHU4U8Y4Q7LWbR18NagsrmREs97z5mxnmXv5xR2 RxTyAPYjG3j1VZTuyKL

Grin
Pilchard (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 05:54:53 PM

I know about the exit command,  only seems to work with wallets that have already gone through that initial blockchain sync though.

Doesn't help with the long initial sync when recovering a new wallet from keys though unfortunately :-/
Pilchard (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 03:25:27 PM

being blocked for some reason,  gimme a sec
Pilchard (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 03:26:24 PM

I've found that if you create a shortcut of   electroneum-block-chain-export.exe

And add     --output-file filenamehere    to the end of the shortcut,  it appears to export the blockchain data in the daemon into a file....

Only about 2gb in size from a fully synced Daemon.   Is the electroneum blockchain only still that small right now?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?    Any ideas on how to point simplewallet to that file and scan that for transactions concerning a newly made wallet Generated from keys via the --generate-from-keys command?

And if the contents of that file,  the entire blockchain I assume,  is already available to the daemon,  how can it take more than a few seconds to scan that little 2gb file for transactions on an SSD with a powerful cpu?

Got to be some Crypto Gurus around here who can make sense of this?
Pilchard (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 03:28:57 PM

Just an extra bit,  if in windows the end of the shortcut line looks like this:

electroneum-blockchain-export.exe --output-file blockchain.raw
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: